Votes: 18 40.0%
  • No - he's old and we need youts

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • No - it's Miller time!

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
As president of the Zucker Rehabilitation Committee I want to pose the question for fans.

This year he's been healthy and a force on the wing for us. There's pros and cons to returning him to the roster. What say you?

The assumption is he's going to get a 4-6 year final big hoorah contract at around 30 years old.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My guess is he won’t want to come back. He’s a west coaster and most of his tenure here has been not good, he’d probably like a change of scenery.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I love his play this season…I fear it’s not the player we’ll be getting for the rest of any long term contract he signs with us (I mean look at Rust this season), so I think we need to move on…people get enamored with how players perform in a contract year and that’s how GMs over pay…I don’t think having all your top six wingers be 30+ is an avenue for success…I’d love to see give Puusy a chance along with Nylander and DOC…but ultimately I’d like to trade Jake this summer hopefully for a young up and comer or two, or younger established NHL player…

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
He’ll probably want at least 5X5 which for a player in his 30s and injury prone makes no sense.

He’s been great but as a principal I’m opposed to resigning aging players that aren’t elite. Look at the mess we have with Rust now.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if he would be willing to take a shorter deal for more money. It doesn’t usually happen but a lot of teams are up against the cap and it’s not going up very much. Like he’s probably worth 5x5.5 on the open market but would he take 2x6 to stick around and try to compete for a Cup here?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
My guess is he won’t want to come back. He’s a west coaster and most of his tenure here has been not good, he’d probably like a change of scenery.

I didn't realize he was a West Coaster?
The only thing I kinda remember was that his Limited No Trade clause had something to do with his kids or custody...something along those lines.

So I think the city he plays in will have a big of an impact vs dollars

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I didn't realize he was a West Coaster?
The only thing I kinda remember was that his Limited No Trade clause had something to do with his kids or custody...something along those lines.

So I think the city he plays in will have a big of an impact vs dollars
I think his wife has to stay in Minnesota due to a child from a previous marriage. We have direct flights to there though. I'm sure if Minny wants him back they will sign him, otherwise we bring him back

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Move on.

The only way I'd consider bringing him back is they can convince Rust to waive his NTC, Carter retires or waives his NTC, and/or they trade Granlund. Otherwise, I think the move is to use their cap space on change-of-scenery types that could make a huge impact like Gibson, Miller, Couture, etc.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If you can offload Rust yes plz.

But you cant have both. Zucker brings so much more hunger than Rust. He is also like 3 months older than rust.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Zucker was either injured or underperforming for the overwhelming majority of his time here.

Finally putting it together in a contract year at age 31 isn't enough for me to want to commit good money to the guy for the rest of Crosby and Malkin's time here. Particularly since we know what we have isn't good enough.

If it were up to me, I'd also move Rust, Granlund, and Carter in the off-season and try to actually get players who can make a difference for this team.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I agree with the general sentiment that having both Rust and Zucker is too much of the same for too much cap allocation. Based on this year it's pretty easy to say that if we had a choice Zucker would be the guy seeing as how Rust is playing like a badly concussed ECHLer most games this year. But I'm not convinced that is the case moving ahead based on past performances (where Rust seemed clearly the better player) along with the fact that this is a contract year for Zucker.

It sucks saying no in light of he and Malkin working well together and providing the team with two viable, reliable scoring lines, but the smart thing is to walk away IMO. Starting from the drawing board on L2 next season is far from ideal, though. But frankly at this point it really doesn't matter much anyway.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think if he comes back it is because he wants to come back. I think he knows he can get more on the open market. If he wants to stay here, it has to be on a team-friendly deal.

I would love to have him back. We need the game he plays. Once we let him walk, we are immediately looking to replace exactly what he brings and it will likely come at a cost higher than what he will cost.

I think the only caveat for me is if we can get Bertuzzi on a decent deal. Otherwise, I'd try for a 4x4.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I am concerned his style of play with his size is just a coming train wreck as to injuries. Love to bring him back but at say 5 million for 4 yrs is unlikely to be a favorable risk/reward equation. I do agree Hextall has to go and a GM makes the necessary moves to do what Hextall has failed to do. Can't have Granlund at 5 million as a third line plug and nothing really can be done about Carter. So to reverse the Hextall leftovers, move or buy out Granlund, get a physical LD like Soucy and by all means,the new GM has to get more physical with grit forwards, Rust is here for at least two more years and the three year plan has to run its course. Lastly Jake is moving into his last year so he can still bring back assets to upgrade the size and depth.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He’ll probably want at least 5X5 which for a player in his 30s and injury prone makes no sense.

He’s been great but as a principal I’m opposed to resigning aging players that aren’t elite. Look at the mess we have with Rust now.
Yeah this is where I stand too

I would not. Do not reward bratty behavior. Constantly squirting water on teammates and Mr. Potash. Also, he has a neck tattoo. If you had a business would you pay a man with a neck tattoo who squirts water on people millions of dollars?
Related question, are giraffes just horses with weird body mod fetishes?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think they'll try their absolute damnedest to re-sign him. He's just about the only guy on the team who looks engaged night in and night out.

Is it the right decision? I don't know. I have a gut feeling as soon as he puts pen to paper, he'll be plagued by chronic injury all season again. :laugh: But when he's been healthy this season, he's been a solid third wheel on Geno's line. He'd made a phenomenal 3rd liner, but this team isn't deep enough for that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you can offload Rust yes plz.

But you cant have both. Zucker brings so much more hunger than Rust. He is also like 3 months older than rust.
I don't hate this idea though I think Rust is part of the alumn.

I do think we go after Miller before the draft so if you could do a three-team trade:

To Van: Center from XXXX + 1sts
To XXXX: Rust
To Pens: Miller

to help offset costs would be nice.

Jake-Sid-Rakell
Zucker ($4mil)-Geno-Nylander
DOC-Miller-Granlund
Hallander-Poehling-Gruden

Petts-Letang
POJ-Petry
Smith-Rutta

CDS

That lineup gives us $9mil to get a goalie and other minor upgrades like a 4th line wing.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I don't hate this idea though I think Rust is part of the alumn.

I do think we go after Miller before the draft so if you could do a three-team trade:

To Van: Center from XXXX + 1sts
To XXXX: Rust
To Pens: Miller

to help offset costs would be nice.

Jake-Sid-Rakell
Zucker ($4mil)-Geno-Nylander
DOC-Miller-Granlund
Hallander-Poehling-Gruden

Petts-Letang
POJ-Petry
Smith-Rutta

CDS

That lineup gives us $9mil to get a goalie and other minor upgrades like a 4th line wing.

Rust isnt gona waive for many teams. Maybe detroit? gona be a tough move.

You also need an updgrade on defense if possible. Miller isnt coming in to be a 3rd line center either.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
...also thanks a lot because now I'm gonna have this horrible Mark Morrison song in my head all day due to the thread title.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad