GDT: Retro GDT: Game 4 Canes vs Devils 2001

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
You know, watching this a couple days after watching game 2 of the Boston vs Canes 99 series, and this may sound like blasphemy, but two teams playing the trap are a lot more aesthetically pleasing than two teams playing full on clutch and grab hockey. This is still f***ing nightmare fuel when compared to how the game's played now though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
holy shit I didn't even notice this was Jack Edwards. Hard to tell when he's not ranting about some "meh" level fan favorite like Pie McKenzie or calling a Bruin jumping an unsuspecting player like it's Rocky vs Drago.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
holy shit I didn't even notice this was Jack Edwards. Hard to tell when he's not ranting about some "meh" level fan favorite like Pie McKenzie or calling a Bruin jumping an unsuspecting player like it's Rocky vs Drago.

"Hamrlik goes down as if SHOT! GET UP!"

:laugh:

Reactions: DaveG

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
Haha - I'll keep quiet, as I don't really mind Jack, except for the revolutionaries soliloquies... but then I'm biased. The uncomfortable reality of being both a Bruins and Canes fan... :naughty:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Before he became “Jack Edwards” he was actually a very good PBP guy.
Yep, I used to really like him. ESPN had several announcers that were decent back then.

I remember being so hyped by these two wins after going down 0-3. At the time, not many teams had even battled back to a 6th game after going down 0-3. And this was a very good Devils team.

I feel like Tanabe had some big goals in this series and I thought he was poised to take off. He didn't.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Think this is the first NHL playoff game I watched from start to finish. The novelty of playoff Hockey in North Carolina was alluring. The first 3 games I only got to see in spurts.

W/o this series, there is no 2002 (they now knew what it took to beat the Devils) and there's likely no 2006.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

99% sure he called game 2 in 2002 against the Devils as well. Levy was the Molson Miracle I think.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Haha - I'll keep quiet, as I don't really mind Jack, except for the revolutionaries soliloquies... but then I'm biased. The uncomfortable reality of being both a Bruins and Canes fan... :naughty:
I'll be honest, I legit don't mind Jack. The guy KNOWS hockey and can call a good game, but by god when he goes on a tangent you don't know what the hell he'll say.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Who was the PA Announcer back then?

Well, I tried Google and got nothing. I swear I remember hearing he didn't leave on good terms however. Too bad because I liked him better than Hoyle (nothing against Hoyle but his style wasn't my thing)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad