Proposal: Retooling the Ducks

Crow

May 19, 2014
Ducks need to follow the hawks, LA type sucking future. Rebuild quick. Retool isn’t effective imo.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I wouldn't mind kapanen for fowler type move. But I feel like there would have to be more to the trade. As for fowler not being a #1, I don't think your expectations should be a #1 with Kapanen as the piece going back. Fowler can play in the #1, but is more suited or a 2 or 3. I actualy think fowler would play really well in a Babcock system... and with the players the leafs have fowlers skating ability alone would be a real threat.

The only issue here is that he is a LD. If he was a RD Leaf fans would be willing to pay a premium for him, but even if Gardiner walks, they have Dermott ready to take over and a ton of NHL ready LD, plus Sandin in the system who looks like a future top 4 guy as well.

Now I am not saying they are better than Fowler, just that LD is not as desperate as RD. They really need someone to play the Hainsey role for Rielly's partner who hopefully has more skill but Fowler isn't a fit for that.

I'd bring up Manson but I know better :P

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1st & Olofsson are definitely in play but I’m not a fan of trading Mete. At 20, he’s already doing a pettry good job amd he can only get better. Maybe another asset instead?
I'm not comfortable trading Fowler unless we get someone who can fill in for the time being. We've traded numerous defensemen over the years and haven't really drafted any. Mahura isn't NHL ready but we have no one to replace him so we need another NHL caliber LHD.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I'm not comfortable trading Fowler unless we get someone who can fill in for the time being. We've traded numerous defensemen over the years and haven't really drafted any. Mahura isn't NHL ready but we have no one to replace him so we need another NHL caliber LHD.

What about Mike Reilly? Decent skater, can pass and shoot. A little unconsistent but definitely a #5-6 NHL D. Other than that. schlemko & Benn are also available but aren’t that attractive, unless you just need a body to play LHD.

Otherwise, we have Cale Fleury (RHD) who could be available in a package for Fowler

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
What about Mike Reilly? Decent skater, can pass and shoot. A little unconsistent but definitely a #5-6 NHL D. Other than that. schlemko & Benn are also available but aren’t that attractive, unless you just need a body to play LHD.

Otherwise, we have Cale Fleury (RHD) who could be available in a package for Fowler

"Fill in" for Fowler means someone capable of playing a top 4 LD role. That's really the main impediment to trading him is the hole he leaves with no replacement ready internally

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

Mike Reilly is a throw in. Not a player any team actually cares about.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The only issue here is that he is a LD. If he was a RD Leaf fans would be willing to pay a premium for him, but even if Gardiner walks, they have Dermott ready to take over and a ton of NHL ready LD, plus Sandin in the system who looks like a future top 4 guy as well.

Now I am not saying they are better than Fowler, just that LD is not as desperate as RD. They really need someone to play the Hainsey role for Rielly's partner who hopefully has more skill but Fowler isn't a fit for that.

I'd bring up Manson but I know better :P
Ya I figured fowler being LD would kinda be the reason there was no deal to be made, unless you guys just felt there was nothing happening in the RD department and said to hell with it. Maybe try 1 of sandin/fowler/rielly on the right side... I don't think fower has done it his career, cause they had Lindholm on the right side to start the season, and ive also seen us put Larsson on the right side but never fowler.

And ya manson is just too unique of a player to get rid of, and still relatively young that no matter what we do as a team he can stick around for it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Hmm honestly the 1st + olofsson + wouldn't be so bad for fowler... I could prob get behind that, assuming were just planning on going all in at the draft. Gives us cap space to find a cheaper 2nd LD, and gives Larsson/mahura more playing time.

At this point, I don't see a reason to go for playoffs with this team, just cut some fat and try to make some changes. I just don't think olofsson+ 1st does enough, mete would be a nice 3rd piece but I could see why they wouldn't want to part with him right now. I imagine we will be taking a few dmen in the upcoming draft.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
"Fill in" for Fowler means someone capable of playing a top 4 LD role. That's really the main impediment to trading him is the hole he leaves with no replacement ready internally

What’s the point of acquiring Fowler (We need LHD badly) if the price is our only capable LHD + 1st + good prospect? We’d still have a hole at LHD. The idea behind acquiring Fowler is to support Mete.

Mike Reilly is a throw in. Not a player any team actually cares about.

Never said otherwise. He’s a #5-6 on a good team

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Idk much about Bjork.... mind giving a lil insight on him.

I think Bjork has potential to be a solid middle winger. He's fast, smart and has very good hands. He's a good fore checker and can create turnovers in the neutral zone. He has the ability to beat defenders one on one with his speed. His 200ft game is very polished and he takes very few penalties for a guy who always is dogging the puck carrier. He looked stronger and more tenacious this year played but was snakebitten offensively seeming to pass when he should shoot, and shoot when he should pass and was sent down to the AHL to find his offensive game.

Looking at his sharp upward progression though the NCAA, and his production in the NHL (5-10-15 in 50 games) I think he could become a ~15+ goal 25+ assist guy maybe more, maybe less. He is a a pretty underrated NHL ready prospect. His 200ft game won't hurt you and he should be learning on the job now IMO.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Hmm honestly the 1st + olofsson + wouldn't be so bad for fowler... I could prob get behind that, assuming were just planning on going all in at the draft. Gives us cap space to find a cheaper 2nd LD, and gives Larsson/mahura more playing time.

At this point, I don't see a reason to go for playoffs with this team, just cut some fat and try to make some changes. I just don't think olofsson+ 1st does enough, mete would be a nice 3rd piece but I could see why they wouldn't want to part with him right now. I imagine we will be taking a few dmen in the upcoming draft.

That + would need to be a roster player with a small upside to improve. Imo, Mete is more valuable than both the 1st and Olofsson and we need him badly so it can’t be him.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
What’s the point of acquiring Fowler (We need LHD badly) if the price is our only capable LHD + 1st + good prospect? We’d still have a hole at LHD. The idea behind acquiring Fowler is to support Mete.

There's a reason literally every Ducks fan except the OP has said we can't really trade Fowler at this point. It'd have to be a good sized overpay to make it worth the hole it'd open up. Also, lets not pretend that Fowler wouldn't be a huge upgrade for you guys

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
There's a reason literally every Ducks fan except the OP has said we can't really trade Fowler at this point. It'd have to be a good sized overpay to make it worth the hole it'd open up. Also, lets not pretend that Fowler wouldn't be a huge upgrade for you guys

Of course he would but not at the expense of Mete who long term could be as good, if not better than Fowler and also cheaper/younger.

I do understand why it would be hard for the Ducks to trade Fowler. I guess it would’ve been much easier if Theodore was still a Duck

Reactions: Spazkat

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Ducks have always done well with late firsts and lots of young talent either on the roster or coming up soon. They are missing elite young talent in the centre position, as everyone knows you need to draft that and draft high.

Hughes and Kakko are elite talents, but they may not work out as centres in the NHL. Doubtful the Ducks could fall that far down the standings anyways.

Next year Byfeild and Lundell both look good, but not the type of centres worth tanking a full year for.

Another thing to consider is even if they wanted to bottom out their goaltending and defence are far to strong so a few players would have to be shipped out. Trading away Fowler and Gibson after signing 8 year deals is a bad look for the team.

Unfortunately it looks like Anaheim is stuck in the middle for the time being. If they fall out of a playoff spot then I think Silf should be traded, but for now just stay the course.

If they are still middling by the time the 2020 draft roles around then it’s time to look at a wholesale rebuild, but right now it’s not worth it for the ducks.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
6 Most Untouchable players & 3 most Untouchable prospects:
Lindholm, Gibson, Montour, Kase, Rakell, Getzlaf & for prospects Comtois, Steel, Lundestrom(cause Comtois has the most topline potential of our prospects & we need Steel/Lundestrom as our Center prospects as next year Steel hopefully is our 3C & pushes Kesler to the 4C role)

He's going to retire a Duck list:
Getzlaf

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs are looking for a dman and have a 22 year old speedy winger that is pacing 30g/50pts/+35

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
6 Most Untouchable players & 3 most Untouchable prospects:
Lindholm, Gibson, Montour, Kase, Rakell, Getzlaf & for prospects Comtois, Steel, Lundestrom(cause Comtois has the most topline potential of our prospects & we need Steel/Lundestrom as our Center prospects as next year Steel hopefully is our 3C & pushes Kesler to the 4C role)

He's going to retire a Duck list:
Getzlaf
You are missing our best prospect currently ....

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You are missing our best prospect currently ....
Best prospect doesn't mean most important, id argue Larsson, Steel, Lundestrum and mahura are important than terry and comtois,... but as of right now id say terry and comtois are better than those 4.

But there is scenarios I could see Terry being on the table, but the way this team has looked/going id rather just hold on to all our young players and add more talent/picks and get ready for when those contracts come off the books.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Kesler + 2020 1st + prospect to Detroit this offseason for future considerations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad