Retirement: why do many stop playing completely?

Hockeynomad

Sep 10, 2007
Toronto
I noticed in many sports that when an athlete retires, after having played sometimes since two, many just quit the sport completely and cold turkey.

Why it that? Quit on top?

Many sporting activities are tend linmited to golf.

Don't these guy get the itch to play some pickup?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I noticed in many sports that when an athlete retires, after having played sometimes since two, many just quit the sport completely and cold turkey.

Why it that? Quit on top?

Many sporting activities are tend linmited to golf.

Don't these guy get the itch to play some pickup?
For the same reason soldiers don't hang out at rifle ranges in their free time. For the same reason commercial airline pilots don't fly Cessna's in their free time. For the same reason CEO's don't start lemonade stands on weekends. For the same reason ex-President's / PM's don't run for city mayor after they leave office.

Once you've eaten prime rib, why go back to bologna? If I'm Yzerman and I finish skating the Cup at Joe Louis Arena with Luc Robitaille and Brett Hull on my line, I'm supposed to be satisfied skating with fat, 40-something auto workers at the Auburn Hills Rec Center?

I've seen a handful of retired NHL players playing pickup hockey in Texas, but they were all a number of years past retirement.

dcinroc

Jun 24, 2008
Taipei, Taiwan
I agree with cottonking, but I also think it is because ex-players are normal people with normal lives (albeit, pretty darn well off).

They are still fairly young and most go on to pursue other careers and raise families.

Hockeynomad

Sep 10, 2007
Toronto
I don't quite agree Cottonking.

You are quoting "jobs", like if one retires at the steelmill, even though playing sports isa paying job, it is doing one's pasttime something one really enjoys.

They do it becasue they love it and also get paid for. This is not a job like riding a bus.

Steve Yzerman wouldn't need to play in a beer league if he had like-minded retired NHLrs playing just for the love of the game.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Injuries, in a lot of case. Even guys who don't retire due to an injury have a pretty good accumulation of damage over 20-30 years of competitive hockey. Not playing again beats putting even more mileage on an abused body and winding up in a walker or wheelchair in your 60s. Not a hockey example, but somebody on another board I read saw John Elway a few years after his retirement and said he moved like an 80-year-old. That guy's not gonna go play flag football.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
It would be amazing thought, if most retired NHLer played in beer leagues.

They'd totally dominate the opposition.

Even Andrew Peters or Aaron Downey would make most of us look bad on a rink.

dcinroc

Jun 24, 2008
Taipei, Taiwan

A league I used to play in had a lot pure amateurs plus varsity and ex-varsity college players. Those varsity and ex-varisty (20 and 30 something yo guys mostly) ruled the league pretty much. Then one year a 60 yo ex-AHL defenseman (had a cup of coffee in the NHL, but was pretty much a career AHL guy) showed and just took the place over.

Even at 60, he could shoot harder, skate faster and had better endurance than pretty much everybody else in the league. The one thing he didn't do was score much...cuz rarely tried, usually content to just pass the puck up ice and take care of business on defense.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I don't quite agree Cottonking.

You are quoting "jobs", like if one retires at the steelmill, even though playing sports isa paying job, it is doing one's pasttime something one really enjoys.

They do it becasue they love it and also get paid for. This is not a job like riding a bus.

Steve Yzerman wouldn't need to play in a beer league if he had like-minded retired NHLrs playing just for the love of the game.

maybe because after doing something for 30 years and taking a pounding both physically and mentally they say **** it and do what most people do in their 40s when they are pooing out money, and that is sit back and watch sports and drink beer.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com

Peters, Downey, Janssen, hell even Jesse Boulerice would destroy a rec league, Imagine signing up for a rec league team and finding out your line mates or Peters and Downey. Your line would by far be the best in the league.

NJrocket24

Oct 19, 2005
NJ
Like someone said originally, its hard to come down from the high that all out competition and play gives you. Beer leagues just isn't the same. It's still fun, but its not all out. Once you play at that speed and intensity everything else just doesn't cut it.

At least for me it wasn't enough.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I'd imagine for these players as well that it would be frustrating to be able to see a play develop or know what to do, but your body no longer allows you to do it. The minds is willing, but the bodies not able. I know that'd drive me crazy.

The Thomas J.*

When an athelte decides he is done thats it, he can't be second guessing himself other wise he may never find peace in retirement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad