New York Islanders: Retirement of John Tonelli’s No. 27 on Feb. 21 and Butch Goring’s No. 91 on Feb. 29

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
And I foolishly thought this thread was about Tonelli and Goring.

We have hashed and rehashed and rehashed and rehashed ad infinitum ad nauseam the Tavares situation.

Can we please leave him alone, at least in this one thread?

Last edited:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Let's talk about loyalty. Tavares was on one of the most team friendly deals in the entire league for years (and signed away a year of UFA status). This is a fact that can't be disputed. The Islanders had years to ice a competitive team for them and they failed to do so. They failed to ice good line mates with him. What about the loyalty the Islanders owed him?
Just playing devil’s advocate here, but getting a real GM and SC winning coach was in a way a good show of loyalty to JT, no?

Reactions: bigtim1988

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
Just playing devil’s advocate here, but getting a real GM and SC winning coach was in a way a good show of loyalty to JT, no?

I just think that the timing was off for JT's departure. Realistically, his mind was already made up before Trotz and LL were even in the picture.

If you remove those two variables, it makes perfect sense for JT to have left. But, then again, he should have told our GM he was not going to stay.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

I agree that hiring them should have been an advantage to keeping him...but maybe it wasn't. When discussing loyalty...Tavares didn't know either one of them, they were brand new to the job and honestly Tavares didn't owe them loyalty because there would be no reason to. I'm glad we have them on board (I think we all are).

I just think that the timing was off for JT's departure. Realistically, his mind was already made up before Trotz and LL were even in the picture.

If you remove those two variables, it makes perfect sense for JT to have left. But, then again, he should have told our GM he was not going to stay.

Agreed. However at the time he left he hadn't told our GM he was going to stay. Anything he told Snow was void the moment he was fired. Ironically Tavares leaving is being somewhat loyal to Snow/Weight.

I agree with another poster though, this thread shouldn't be about Tavares so I'll cease the discussion. My apologies for being a part of the train coming off the tracks.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad