New York Islanders: Retirement of John Tonelli’s No. 27 on Feb. 21 and Butch Goring’s No. 91 on Feb. 29

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
If Butch scored 1600 points as an Islander, he should lost a point for every time he had to say toy department... so if only to spite Judas maybe... but I don't see retiring his number actually

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The top 3 numbers retired are no brainers but after those how Tonelli is excluded mystifies me.

New management is doing everything right.

Here's their next project.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The top 3 numbers retired are no brainers but after those how Tonelli is excluded mystifies me.

New management is doing everything right.

Here's their next project.

Young Isles fans should go back and see some big Isles goals throughout history and #27 was always around.....I can't recall an Islander with a better motor ever and the Long Island fans loved the guy..

JT27

Dec 30, 2018
Young Isles fans should go back and see some big Isles goals throughout history and #27 was always around.....I can't recall an Islander with a better motor ever and the Long Island fans loved the guy..
Also, in addition to all great things he did for the Isles he was the MVP of the Canada Cup tournament in 1984 after an incredible gritty never-say-die performance.

Reactions: Bexlyspeed

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
He has his place in the Islanders Hall of Fame (like Bob Bourne, Kenny Jonsson, John Tonelli, Ken Morrow, etc.) But not a "big enough player" to have his number retired.

Even the withdrawal of Bob Nystrom's number seems far-fetched to me. I don't think we should continue in this direction.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I love Butch...but if he wore #92 would anybody really be calling for his retirement of a number now? The answer is obviously no. Retiring his number to get at Tavares (who doesn't care btw), is petty and quite frankly embarrassing for Butch. Tavares left the team and we're doing better than we have in decades. Get. Over. It.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I love Butch...but if he wore #92 would anybody really be calling for his retirement of a number now? The answer is obviously no. Retiring his number to get at Tavares (who doesn't care btw), is petty and quite frankly embarrassing for Butch. Tavares left the team and we're doing better than we have in decades. Get. Over. It.
If you’re still concerned with getting back at Tavares, and honestly f*** that guy, win the god damn cup.

Reactions: ScaredStreit

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Rather than retire 91, I would have given it to the 14th forward on the roster. I wanted Ross to have it before the season.

I loved Goring but before his 91, you would have to do at least 27, 3, 7, 14 and 21 just from the cup winning teams. So many good players on those teams, but retiring a number is special. 19, 22, 5, definite, and I was fine with 31 and 9.

Of the retired numbers I think the controversy is due to retiring Nystrom. Tonelli was a better player, but Nystrom was Mr Islander, fan favorite.

Last edited:

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
You are moron if you don't think Goring deserves to be in rafters.

Goring #91 should be hoisted in the new Belmont Arena. And no, don't be petty, it shouldn't be against Toronto.

He is part of the fabric of the Islanders. He is the guy that solidified the dynasty. He was a coach in the during the darkest days of the club. He went from fumbling sentences with Howie, to a great color guy with Brendan Burke.

f*** Tonelli. He never raised his head until the latest ownership group brought everyone on board.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You are moron if you don't think Goring deserves to be in rafters.

Goring #91 should be hoisted in the new Belmont Arena. And no, don't be petty, it shouldn't be against Toronto.

He is part of the fabric of the Islanders. He is the guy that solidified the dynasty. He was a coach in the during the darkest days of the club. He went from fumbling sentences with Howie, to a great color guy with Brendan Burke.

**** Tonelli. He never raised his head until the latest ownership group brought everyone on board.

Last I checked teams don't retire player numbers because of what players did after their careers, but I could be wrong. That's a bad precedent to set and I'd reserve retired numbers for only the most important and elite players for a franchise. I'm opposed to teams retiring numbers of players that split their careers all over the place, against it for players that never win a cup too. HHOF inductee? Great, did you win with the team? No? I'm probably against the retiring of your number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad