Retire Brad Park's #?

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
A very good Rangers player but he falls a bit short as a Ranger to have his number retired.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
If we're talking Rangers who deserve to have their numbers retired, first on line for me would be Bill Cook and Frank Boucher.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
No for Park--played more years as an opponent than as a Ranger.

At this point, I don't think any more players should have their numbers retired at this time. While players like Cook and Boucher are deserving, since they are not around anymore to enjoy the experience (and the vast majority of fans who saw or heard about their play from people who did see them play aren't around either), I would be opposed to retiring their numbers as well.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It's a weird situation. On the one hand, he played more games with another franchise and never won a Cup here. On the other hand, Orr single-handedly cost him 4 Norrises as a Ranger.

I agree that Bill Cook, Frank Boucher are bigger omissions. Arguably Ching Johnson too.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
I still a little uneasy about Graves' #9. Especially before Bathgate. They should have just named a community-service award after him.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Brad's number should have been retired because he never should have been traded but really, I am surprised all of you failed to mention Jean Ratelle.

He absolutely deserves it retired.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I still a little uneasy about Graves' #9. Especially before Bathgate. They should have just named a community-service award after him.

Eh, regarding Graves, if you're talking about his contributions on the ice (great player, but never elite outside of his 50 goal season), then yeah, but IMO what he has contributed off the ice more than earned him a banner raising, especially since he was a damn good player, too.

ReubenNYC

Mar 6, 2012
Sentimentality aside, and all due respect to his qualities as a person, Graves has no business having his number retired. Like someone else suggested, name a trophy for him if you want. But the #9 banner should be Bathgate's alone.

The only number that I think needs to get up there right now is Jean Ratelle's #19. Hall of Famer. 6th most games as a Ranger, 2nd in goals, 3rd in assists and points. Ahead of Bathgate, Messier and Graves (all of whom have retired numbers) on all four counts. Personally, I think it's disgraceful that he's not up there.

After #19, we can close the books for a while. Maybe Henrik someday, if he earns every penny on this new contract. But nobody else.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Sentimentality aside, and all due respect to his qualities as a person, Graves has no business having his number retired. Like someone else suggested, name a trophy for him if you want. But the #9 banner should be Bathgate's alone.

The only number that I think needs to get up there right now is Jean Ratelle's #19. Hall of Famer. 6th most games as a Ranger, 2nd in goals, 3rd in assists and points. Ahead of Bathgate, Messier and Graves (all of whom have retired numbers) on all four counts. Personally, I think it's disgraceful that he's not up there.

After #19, we can close the books for a while. Maybe Henrik someday, if he earns every penny on this new contract. But nobody else.

Nice first post. Lurker for a while?

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
It bothers me that Ratelle and Park are both quality players who because of a bad trade in my view deprives them of having a retired or honoured number ceremony. If both had stayed Rangers they may have been the best at their positions in our history, again in my view. Parks trade mid career fragmented the way he is considered, but he was great for both franchises.
Ratelle was excellent here for a long time, then continued to be a prime contributor in Boston. A classy player who deserves that recognition and he is still here to be recognized. Should be accomplished.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Nobody should be next. Lundqvist likely will be.

They already reached with the Graves retirement, and retiring Howell/Bathgate's #'s 50 friggin years after their careers ended. Like so many other things, this regime is turning the jersey retirement into a marketing ploy.

Flavius

Da Gawd
Feb 23, 2013
H.A.M. City
It's a weird situation. On the one hand, he played more games with another franchise and never won a Cup here. On the other hand, Orr single-handedly cost him 4 Norrises as a Ranger.

I agree that Bill Cook, Frank Boucher are bigger omissions. Arguably Ching Johnson too.

They needed to get on pace to retire the entire 1994 team! Come on!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It bothers me that Ratelle and Park are both quality players who because of a bad trade in my view deprives them of having a retired or honoured number ceremony. If both had stayed Rangers they may have been the best at their positions in our history, again in my view. Parks trade mid career fragmented the way he is considered, but he was great for both franchises.
Ratelle was excellent here for a long time, then continued to be a prime contributor in Boston. A classy player who deserves that recognition and he is still here to be recognized. Should be accomplished.

This, verbatim.
Park should have been recognized for his # simultaneously w/Leetch.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Meaning that hey should retire every number between 1 and 30 so there are none left?

No, just the ones who deserve it like our third leading all time scorer who centred our all time leading scorer and could have been our leading scorer had he not been traded. How many franchises haven't retired their third leading all time scorer I wonder?
Bruins Espo, Habs Pocket Rocket, Hawks Denis Savard, Wings Delvecchio. The only one of the O6 not retired their third leading scorer are the Leafs with Dave Keon, due to a falling out I believe. If you argue the difference is Cups look at our guys honoured who have or haven't won cups.
Still think Ratelle is the obvious honouree.

Last edited:

Mr Atoz*

No just the ones who deserve it like our third leading all time scorer who centred our all time leading scorer and could have been our leading scorer had he not been traded. How many franchises haven't retired their third leading all time scorer I wonder?

I would guess most of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad