Retire #44 topic

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
It'll happen eventually. He's already a Hall of Famer and his contract is finally up. He's working for the Florida Panthers now. Maybe when they visit on January 9?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm for it. He was probably the most dominant Blues' player for the majority of his career (at least tied with Brett Hull). IF The Blues are going to have at least 2 numbers retired for their on-ice feats as Blues players, Pronger should be one of them. Yes, I know there have already been that many Blues numbers retired.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Yep I'd be fine with that. Especially since the Blues are one of the more liberal teams when it comes to retiring numbers

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
needs to happen vs the sharks so their fans can boo him for no reason.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, not controversial at all to retire his number. Only thing controversial would be if they didn't do it.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Still can't believe Blues ownership/management let Darryl Sydor and Jason Arnott wear 44 on the ice for the Blues. I hated seeing it happen then, and I'm still disappointed that it ever happened. After the Hart-season, you knew you've got a potential 1st-ballot HOF'er on your franchise. You don't let mediocre vets (at the time) finish out their careers spent primarily elsewhere wearing the number of your greatest defenseman in franchise history. That would be like giving Jedd Jyrko the #5 for the Cardinals, ignoring Pujols' legacy.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
i really hope the blues consider this. seeing the ducks retire #27 meanwhile the blues still havent retired #44 is a shame.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Have to think Alex Pietrangelo is well on his way to having his #27 retired way down the road as well.

Already has given us 8 great years. Even if he leaves after his contract is up, he will have likely given us 10 great years.

Edit: if he re-signs and plays in STL for 14-15 years total then it's pretty much a no-brainer with how good he has been and how good he is likely to be for another 3-5 years.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Have to think Alex Pietrangelo is well on his way to having his #27 retired way down the road as well.

Already has given us 8 great years. Even if he leaves after his contract is up, he will have likely given us 10 great years.

Edit: if he re-signs and plays in STL for 14-15 years total then it's pretty much a no-brainer with how good he has been and how good he is likely to be for another 3-5 years.
i dont think so.

really hasnt won any hardware and was just last season named to his first all star team. he has a long way to go to get into jersey retirement talks.

pronger won a ton of hardware including the hart trophy.

Reactions: 67Blues

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
i dont think so.

really hasnt won any hardware and was just last season named to his first all star team. he has a long way to go to get into jersey retirement talks.

I'd agree that Petro probably has a little more to do, but Pronger won 2 awards in 1 season, he didn't win a ton of hardware.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
i dont think so.

Pietrangelo has been the best player on the Blues for 8 years now and 6 of those were playoff teams. One a Conference Finals team.

It doesn't have to be a straight up comparison between Pronger and Petro. Of course Pronger was better.

It's about their spot in Blues history. Do you consider a top 10 d-man in the game playing 10 years of outstanding hockey with great Blues teams worthy of jersey retirement?

I don't think it'll even be a question if Petro re-signs and winds up playing 15 years with the Blues. 11-13 of which will be outstanding. He will have his number retired at that point.

What would really push his chances over the top would be captaining a Stanley Cup winner! I hope he does it that way!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad