Restructure Carl Hagelin's Contract /or not

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
If you were able to restructure his contract for THIS season, and beyond - what would it look like? Are you in the camp that can't wait to dump him somewhere, or do you believe in his intangibles?

My take: Hagelin @ 2.75-3M/4 is the most I'd stomach going forward (whether realistic or silly). Hagelin on a non-contending Pens team is pointless, but he adds an element that really does bolster what we look like come playoff time. His current 4M hit is simply too much, but I will be in the camp (however small that is) who will absolutely miss him if he's dealt or gone by the TDL or next year. The man is our best defensive forward.. and while many on this team have speed, none of them use it in the same way he does - hunting pucks and pressuring opposing players.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
You can't.

I actually can through a legally binding deed passed down from my grandfather....

Edit: I can reword the post to say - what would you offer Hagelin going forward, or if you could restructure his current contract then what would that look like to you - or do you just want him gone. But that's the jist here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not re-signing him after his contract is up unless he takes a 50% pay cut. That said, I still think you look to move him in the off season, if not sooner, depending on the options.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I absolutely hated this deal. Hatttted it, when we made it. I hated his contract.

If he is producing at a 30pt rate though, I honestly think other aspects of his game are worth it. Especccially if the cap goes up.

I’d still argue Perron has been the better player since the trade though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Perron is the more productive player yeah, Hagelin does other things in his role (better 2-way player, faster, that's about it though). But there's no way a team gives Hagelin 4m/yr again, so when his contract is up, I'd be happy to keep him on at 2.5-2.7m max. If he never slumps this badly ever again that is. The rest of this year and next is hugely dependent on him returning.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If we could then I'd offer him the 8 million he currently makes over 2 years but over 3 years instead.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Hagelin and Daley helped re-define our identity. Anybody who wouldn't do that trade over again is nuts and gets a block.

Scuderi for Daley (at least 15-16 version of Daley) was one of the most lopsided Trades in the last few years).

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
If the consensus is around 2.5-2.7M a year, is that something everyone here is comfortable with? Assuming the term is around 3-4 years - covering the strongest remaining years of the Geno/Sid window (also not assuming that it definitely closes at that time).

I went a bit high at 2.75-3M, but if the cap does go up or shows a trend - I seriously do wonder if that gets it done. He's not a logical option for a mid-tier team, but he's got such a strong speed/forecheck game that he's a luxury for any contender if they can afford him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hagelin and Daley helped re-define our identity. Anybody who wouldn't do that trade over again is nuts and gets a block.

Oh without a doubt, also calling up the kids and bringing fresh blood into the team, that was a huge shift that was desperately needed. Johnston was destroying the team (oh but I guess to some, a coach ruining a player is damn near impossible!!!) and the team looked so freaking lost, Sullivan liked a quick attack team, Perron didn't fit, Hagelin came in and wham! Also Daley, Dales was huge in that shift as well.

Then you had guys like Rust, Wilson (for a brief moment), Kuhnhackl, and Cullen who was brought in as a depth player, much to everyone's chagrin at the time who bemoaned that entire signing, was a huge part in that change.

I think most people liked Perron (he was very good friends with Letang, also Fleury I think), it was just unfortunate that he wasn't really tried anywhere else, I think before he left, he was on Geno's LW and it just wasn't working and Anaheim had their issue with Hagelin not working, rest is history.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If the consensus is around 2.5-2.7M a year, is that something everyone here is comfortable with? Assuming the term is around 3-4 years - covering the strongest remaining years of the Geno/Sid window (also not assuming that it definitely closes at that time).

I went a bit high at 2.75-3M, but if the cap does go up or shows a trend - I seriously do wonder if that gets it done. He's not a logical option for a mid-tier team, but he's got such a strong speed/forecheck game that he's a luxury for any contender if they can afford him.

I would prefer to move on. We need to keep filling the wings with cheap young talent as bigger contracts for Murray and Jake are coming down the line as well is filling the much more important 3rd line center role.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Oh without a doubt, also calling up the kids and bringing fresh blood into the team, that was a huge shift that was desperately needed. Johnston was destroying the team (oh but I guess to some, a coach ruining a player is damn near impossible!!!) and the team looked so freaking lost, Sullivan liked a quick attack team, Perron didn't fit, Hagelin came in and wham! Also Daley, Dales was huge in that shift as well.

Then you had guys like Rust, Wilson (for a brief moment), Kuhnhackl, and Cullen who was brought in as a depth player, much to everyone's chagrin at the time who bemoaned that entire signing, was a huge part in that change.

I think most people liked Perron (he was very good friends with Letang, also Fleury I think), it was just unfortunate that he wasn't really tried anywhere else, I think before he left, he was on Geno's LW and it just wasn't working and Anaheim had their issue with Hagelin not working, rest is history.

Think you're correct - he also had a bit of an edge and was the first guy to jump in post-whistle stuff. But when Hagelin + Sully joined the Pens it really just 180'd the whole situation. And there's simply no denying Hagelin's contributions through those 2016 playoffs. He certainly helped last year as well, just not to the same extent.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I would prefer to move on. We need to keep filling the wings with cheap young talent as bigger contracts for Murray and Jake are coming down the line as well is filling the much more important 3rd line center role.

I like the idea of your bottom 6 wings being cheap and young -while paying your top 6 and all 4 centers. I guess it depends on how much weight you put into your luxury department. Hagelin, Hornqvist, true center depth, Reaves, former #1G turned backup, etc - are all luxuries if you just look at raw input/output and $. Hornqvist is a luxury I personally don't think the Pens can afford to lose, because you'll never replace him. However, Hagelin is a luxury that a guy like Rust could step in and fill. Rust has tremendous offensive talent but is very inconsistent - if he could use his speed and bolster his forecheck then I don't think we miss Hagelin as much as we otherwise might. Guentzel is also looking like he's developing an edge to his game, so perhaps he's a guy who could ultimately replace what Hags brings to our table.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-Hagelin is having a terrible season. Shooting 4% on the year is horrific and he's played in 51 games.

-For all the crap Sheahan has taken, he has 16 points in 42 games, that is getting close to Bonino territory if it continues. And our defense right now has rapidly improved recently.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
$3m is alot for a single digit goal scorer. He's good and all, and I'd love to keep him, but his salary should reflect that of a 3rd liner at best. He requires a significant pay decrease but I'm sure someone like NYR will overpay for him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd just rather let his deal expire. He's overpaid, but important, and we can fit him in next year IMO. Then you let him walk just in time for Guentzel's extension.

If something comes along where like the Oilers offer us Draisaitl for Kuhnhackl then we can worry about moving him to make salary cap space at that point in time. But there's no point in moving a guy that's overpaid if you don't have any place else to put that salary. And right now he's probably less overpaid than Hunwick, so you'd start there anyway.

Reactions: Peat

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I'd just rather let his deal expire. He's overpaid, but important, and we can fit him in next year IMO. Then you let him walk just in time for Guentzel's extension.

If something comes along where like the Oilers offer us Draisaitl for Kuhnhackl then we can worry about moving him to make salary cap space at that point in time. But there's no point in moving a guy that's overpaid if you don't have any place else to put that salary. And right now he's probably less overpaid than Hunwick, so you'd start there anyway.

Yeah, agree with all of this. Seems like the consensus on him has been hes really been the only contract we can point to as being bad (before this year) and even then not by much. I think his current cap hit is a little high, so if I could magically restructure it sure.

Otherwise, hes a solid piece, and his current level of play is the type that gives a Stanley Cup winning team its depth. But hes also the stereotypical player who needs to be moved every few years and I hope we dont resign him. He should always be available for trades if the right one comes along, but I wouldnt necessarily trade him just to trade him.

Reactions: Peat

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Big part of our identity, but his contract is bad.

Who cares about his contract? Is it CURRENTLY hurting us? No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad