Rest vs Rust- Will 8 days rest help or hurt the Preds?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Preds played their final regular season game yesterday Their likely 1st round matchup is Vancouver. Friedman reported that Vancouver will almost likely host game 1 on Tuesday April 23rd. Thats an 8 day rest for the Preds.

Will this help the Preds to go into the playoffs rested and refreshed.

or will this hurt them as they lose their momentum and rhythm which can be bad for a team that has been on fire to end the season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Preds played their final regular season game yesterday Their likely 1st round matchup is Vancouver. Friedman reported that Vancouver will almost likely host game 1 on Tuesday April 23rd. Thats an 8 day rest for the Preds.

Will this help the Preds to go into the playoffs rested and refreshed.

or will this hurt them as they lose their momentum and rhythm which can be bad for a team that has been on fire to end the season.
NYR also done on Monday so they also get a week off. As were NJ and Buf who are out.

Boggles the mind a bit that the NHL has teams ending on Monday while the season ends on Thursday. NHL allowing the NBA to have the upcoming weekend for Playoffs first with games on Sat and Sun while the NHL won't kick off til Monday and Tuesday from the looks of things.

Looks like NBA ended on a Sunday the 14th. Have their play in during this week before they begin on the weekend.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
NYR also done on Monday so they also get a week off. As were NJ and Buf who are out.

Boggles the mind a bit that the NHL has teams ending on Monday while the season ends on Thursday. NHL allowing the NBA to have the upcoming weekend for Playoffs first with games on Sat and Sun while the NHL won't kick off til Monday and Tuesday from the looks of things.

Looks like NBA ended on a Sunday the 14th. Have their play in during this week before they begin on the weekend.

Don’t all broadcasts say NHL playoffs begin this Saturday, April 20th?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
After around a hundred games, rest doesn't hurt.
Oh i agree, but i don't know if i would want my team to have a week off.

Thankfully the playoffs is a best out of 7 series. Imagine if it was like the NFL playoffs where it is only 1 game?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Rest is good, but too much rest can be bad.

I do wonder how much different the scf last seaosn would be if the Panthers didn't sweep the Hurricanes and get a ton of rest.
Weren't the Panthers incredibly banged up even before the SCF?

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Oh i agree, but i don't know if i would want my team to have a week off.

Thankfully the playoffs is a best out of 7 series. Imagine if it was like the NFL playoffs where it is only 1 game?
I've watched plenty of one-and-off hockey tournaments to precisely know what you are talking about. :laugh:

Reactions: Super Cake

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
They can still practice. It's not like they're sitting on their couch like the offseason. 8 days of rest is great to be sure no one's playing hurt. I'd pick it if I could.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
iirc, the Bruins had a 10 day wait before the finals in 2019. I think it hurts more going into the finals rather than the first round because every team has a break of some length going into the first round, but 8 days would make me concerned about a team that's been as hot as Nashville lately.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Depends on the team and situation. Probably will hurt the Preds as they've been riding a hot streak and momentum. An older established team could benefit from the rest. I do think the Canes in 2018-19 would've fared better against Boston if they didn't have to wait over a week to play them after sweeping NYI but I don't think it would've changed the outcome of the series. So however it does affect teams I don't think it's a significant amount either way and teams just need to be able to deal with it and be ready to show up on gamedays. That is on coaches and veteran leadership.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
In my opinion, if there's any time to get a rest it's right now.

They've played hockey non-stop since the all-star break. In fact, the Preds in particular haven't had a 3-day break at all.

And in terms of momentum, I don't think teams are playing their best hockey anyway in meaningless games. At the very least, it's not playoff-style hockey especially these games against bottom feeders.

The playoffs acts as sort of a soft-reset for everyone, and you have to find that extra gear regardless. It's a lift mentally, and I think having the tanks full is good.

Last edited:

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Preds were riding a great streak. Rest will be good for their players health but bad for their recent momentum.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If they lose, it will have hurt. If they win, it will have either been beneficial, or not mattered at all.

Same as if you're an older team in the playoffs and you lose, you were too old. If you're an older team that wins, you're experienced. If you're a young team that loses, it's ok, it was good to get the experience. If you're a young team that wins, you didn't know that you weren't supposed to lose.

There's X amount of possible narratives for a team, or a player, and then whatever happens, you just slide the result into the proper narrative slot, and that's the reason whatever happened, happened.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Teams always look sluggish after that big of a break. The covid year the Jets vs Habs series, Winnipeg swept round 1 and were waiting for about a week to play Montreal. Montreal came in after a game 7 win vs Toronto and had a lot of momentum and their players were still in playoff mode and it was apparent on the ice.

Too much rest is a momentum killer, I don't think the Preds have a chance in this series regardless of how many days off though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad