Responsibility for players’ safety

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I’m not making an argument, I’m just curious about people’s thoughts on this...

The players association has the power to influence league policy, no? Such as how to punish players who target the head, which the NHL has been pretty bad about.
Why is the PA more concerned with protecting a few % of players salary from suspensions than protecting players’ health by pushing for, or even openly advocating for tougher means of deterring exceptionally dangerous plays?

Could the PA, and players be considered partially responsible for not doing enough to prevent serious head injuries in any form of defense from the league? Is this something any league has used, or is there a huge flaw I’m not thinking of?

Just curious, this popped in my head from a convo in another thread.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Because money talks and money rules the world. Players would never sign off on more substantial financial losses, even at the expense of potential fewer brain damages incurred.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The side that the PA ignores is that the more head injuries any player suffers, it will damage their earning potential in the future.

They are only concerned about protecting current money. Nothing can be done to undue the injury sustained is likely the feeling from the PA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad