Respect after NHL fights

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
i was watching the avalanche flames game and saw a fight between tanner glass and duncan siemens

and then a few seconds later there is

ive always wondered, how can the players go from getting punched in the face to congratulating each other for a good fight and even if you lose badly, still keeping your cool later?
obviously ive never played hockey but it just seems so weird to me how a few seconds after everything is ok

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Boxers do the same, often. It's a very tough, lonely thing that they do, and sometimes fighters feel the only one who really understands them are their opponents.

Reactions: SotasicA

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Dubisky and ovechkin had one I think

Also malkin and wheeler from last(?) year

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
not every fighter is trying to hurt the other guy. Sometimes it's their job, sometimes it's to teach a lesson, but they all have a healthy respect for each other. Well most of them anyways, it's seemingly a dying breed of player.

My favorite show of respect between combatants is when one of them knows they other guy got rocked or is about to go down badly and tried to help sometimes mid fight. You used to hold the other guys head from hitting the ice after a knockout punch. You see more and more guys keep punching after the fights over now and it's pretty disgusting.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Whether you’re standing up for a teammate, answering the bell, or just trying to fire your squad up, it’s a dangerous game that takes balls. Anyone who engages understands that.

And most often it’s not personal. Take care of business and pat him on the ass after because you’re both grateful nobody was hurt.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
AnguishedNaiveFairyfly-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: SotasicA

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
not every fighter is trying to hurt the other guy. Sometimes it's their job, sometimes it's to teach a lesson, but they all have a healthy respect for each other. Well most of them anyways, it's seemingly a dying breed of player.

My favorite show of respect between combatants is when one of them knows they other guy got rocked or is about to go down badly and tried to help sometimes mid fight. You used to hold the other guys head from hitting the ice after a knockout punch. You see more and more guys keep punching after the fights over now and it's pretty disgusting.

Wow that’s actually really cool to see. I love how the Buffalo player cradles the New Jersey players head at the end and makes sure he’s okay. What a tough job

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
i was watching the avalanche flames game and saw a fight between tanner glass and duncan siemens

ive always wondered, how can the players go from getting punched in the face to congratulating each other for a good fight and even if you lose badly, still keeping your cool later?
obviously ive never played hockey but it just seems so weird to me how a few seconds after everything is ok

Although fighting and the enforcer are a dying breed, it's generally those guys who are the ones doing the fighting. They know how fragile their hockey lives and careers are compared to star players so there's a mutual respect there. They each earned their stripes and know their careers could be over tomorrow.

one of my favorite examples

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
As someone who grew up pressing F to pay respects, this is good to see.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Yeah, and usually the fighters/enforcers don't want to fight and actually dread it but they do it because it's how they'll get ice time and it's the role they're expected to fill and as such they understand why the other guy across from them is doing what they have to do.

Sometimes you'll a fighter patting the other guy for a job well done.

And other times they have to respect each other because mom says so :sarcasm:

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal

Saying this in a very respectful way, but this kind of explains it. It's hard to explain but a lot of it has to do with thinking about the team first. And then a lot of it has to do with respect, which is pretty cool about hockey. (and I suspect a lot of other sports where fights occur).

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Because a fair fight never touches respect. Neither "IRL" or in a hockey game.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
SOME fights guys only do it to stick up for their teammates. Those guys probably aren't even mad when they fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00