Post-Game Talk: Resilience.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Always enjoyed listening to Todd. Good coach.

I think that the largest part of his failing here was that the roster he was given was just not the type of roster that can play his system effectively. LA has a big grinding roster and they play his system very well making them a very hard team to beat.

Part of me would really enjoy another playoff series against the Kings but on the other hand that series would be such a tough grind that I think this team would be better served (in terms of playoff longevity) not having to endure that.
He is a solid coach. Still has a high respect for McDavid and others he coached. I don't think he was necessarily wed to a system disconnect that led to his downfall. There was a clear disconnect between Chiarelli and McLellan that grew over time notably in one example the handling of a teenager Puljujarvi. It's been challenging for several iterations of Oiler coaches to get the full, consistent buy-in to the defending/goal suppression component that defines elite teams.

I'd rather avoid LA in the first round because of the heavy, grinding physical style. But we're a ways away from any predetermination of playoff hockey. This was a big game for both teams and a close one in the study of contrasting styles. McDavid a defining difference maker.

Reactions: nally

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Great win by the boys! After a so-so first period, I thought they really stepped it up and took it to the Kings in the 2nd and then really laid the boots to them in the 3rd. Just had a good feeling that the only thing that was going to kibosh a win for us was a weird bounce or some shitty luck. Once again, terrible but predictable Cali reffing. And big Kudos to Derek Ryan. I am in this guys corner but I know there are plenty of others that look at his birth certificate and want him moved out. He took a shit load of abuse again (should have had 2 more penalties called for hits and sticks on him), but keeps on ticking and getting into the dirty areas. Always makes the smart play and just plays a stable, solid game, which is exactly what you need from a bottom 6 guy. A well deserved opportunity in the skills competition, and good on him for coming through!

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad