Boston Bruins Resetting Expectations & Defining Success

What qualifies as a successful season for the Bruins?

• Qualify for the playoffs

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Win a playoff round

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • Make the Conference Final

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Win the Cup

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other: specify in your comment

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
This is such a loaded question because of the use of the word " successful"

any year should be judge by one standard - did the Bs win a Cup...anything else is less than " successful" ..and yes that means the Bs history is replete with non - successful seasons ...but the Cup is the standard I use

that said- an acceptable outcome would be if the Bs won a round ...after last year's all-in push and the off season predictions of fighting for a playoff wild card this team is currently exceeding all objective expectations....winning a round would make this a season that exceeded expectations

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Win two rounds. It's a flawed team but if they can somehow survive the buzz-saw that is Rounds 1 and 2 maybe they can capitalize on the pace slowing down in the 3rd round and beyond. But at the same time, if this team can make the 3rd round then anything after that is gravy because it's a team with some significant holes and I'm not hopeful it can be fixed by the deadline. Really if they can win 2 rounds that should give them something positive to build on there would be no shame in this particular team losing to a strong contender in the East finals.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I think seeing how weak a lot of the east is, not winning at least one round would be a disappointment to me. Whether they end up finishing 1st or 2nd in the division, they should beat any of the team they could potentially play. Especially if they go out and make some additions to sure up the depth.

Reactions: Gordoff

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
This year if the team finishes high up in the standing and gives Detroit a late first round pick would be successful for me. I had no high expectations going in, so that would be a nice consolation prize and then hopefully Sweeney spends money wisely in the off season.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
This is such a loaded question because of the use of the word " successful"

any year should be judge by one standard - did the Bs win a Cup...anything else is less than " successful" ..and yes that means the Bs history is replete with non - successful seasons ...but the Cup is the standard I use

that said- an acceptable outcome would be if the Bs won a round ...after last year's all-in push and the off season predictions of fighting for a playoff wild card this team is currently exceeding all objective expectations....winning a round would make this a season that exceeded expectations
Thanks! I try my best!

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I'm going to say to get the younger guys on the roster some playoff experience which means bringing up players like Beecher, Lysell, and Lohrei. It's important because these players could be main-stays on the roster next season, so it would be good to get their feet wet this year.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
I voted “Win a playoff round”

I don’t think this team is as good as its early regular season successes would suggest. But I also don’t think this recent skid is some indication that they’re going to get embarrassed in the first round or miss the postseason entirely.

If they can get solid goaltending, I see no reason why they can’t win at least one round, which would be nice to see considering they haven’t done that since 2021.

Given where they’re currently at in the standings, merely making the playoffs can’t be considered a success. I think it’s a given that they’ll get in, barring some sort of epic collapse. At the same time, there are too many holes on this roster to expect a deep run.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Regardless of how this season has gone and will end, it was always a Cap reset year. The B's are somehow making it interesting with less high end talent than some of their direct competition. Between off loading expiring contracts, trading redundant pieces, and 26M+ in cap room, they should be able to add 2 great pieces and still infuse the team with youth.
JMHO

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Didn't expect a whole lot this season, so one round won would be good for me.

If they make some big deadline moves maybe that expectation changes a bit

Reactions: Gee Wally

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm going to say to get the younger guys on the roster some playoff experience which means bringing up players like Beecher, Lysell, and Lohrei. It's important because these players could be main-stays on the roster next season, so it would be good to get their feet wet this year.

I will admit, I would rather watch Lohrei out there making some plays and making rookie mistakes over watching the current version of Gryz who is just a shadow of the player he was in the past. Might as well give Lysell a look, I'm not convinced he can stick, but let's see

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Going into the season that was a retool year I was hoping we could see if:

They could make the playoffs as more than obvious first round fodder. Check. They might get knocked out, but they will be a favorite going in.

See if Pasta could do it alone. Check.

If the goalies were not a fluke. Check.

See if Zacha could be a top six C. Check minus. Yes, but not resounding.

Break some kids into the lineup. Check minus. Poitras was a pleasant surprise and drives a lot of success here, Merkulov and Lysell have done well in the A, but not getting worked at the NHL level. Lorhei, Beecher have gotten their feet wet but have not broken in. Lauko has broken in, but has been disappointing in production unless he was pulled up to the third line. Would like to see more on this front.

Last edited:

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I chose make the ECF, but I really mean beat any team in the playoffs that isn’t the Panthers.

They’ve already exceeded expectations but the east is weak and they should be capable of beating any team that isn’t Florida (capable, not guaranteed). They’ll get shelled by the Panthers undoubtedly and I don’t have my hopes up for beating them or some of the teams in the west in a series so anything more would be a huge surprise.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Going into the year, considering all the losses they had to the roster and the cap situation and lack of prospects, I thought we'd be a 3/4 seed, win a round at best

That's kind of what they're staring at now, but after the start they had and leading the league from October to February, the word "successful" is not what I'm feeling from the last few weeks. At this point, win a couple rounds and go to the ECF against a team like the Rangers, I'd take. If they continue their slide and lose to Toronto in a quiet 5, it's absolutely a failed season.

The reason I was low on the team coming into the year was obviously the lack of depth at center and bottom 6, but the reason we're in the skid we are isn't the Steens and Boqvists and Wotherspoons. We've lost about 12 OT games with Pasta, Marchand, and McAvoy on the ice. They had a full 2 minute 4-on-3 with those guys and sat around scratching their nuts, and LA scores immediately after the penalty. We're being let down from the top more than the bottom,and that's unacceptable to me and why I wouldn't consider anything a success if they're going to keep playing like this.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The goal at the start of every season should be to win the cup unless you are in full rebuild mode to win in a few years. They opted to not rebuild just be mediocre.

Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Is this year's team better or worse than 2018?

Because I didn't take any real satisfaction by winning a round and losing to TB in Round 2 that year. I felt they could of at least gotten to the Final 4.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I put making playoffs because they have alot of 1 yr contract players & lost alot of talent heading into this season.Add in being against the cap ,I cannot see expecting more then that.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The goal at the start of every season should be to win the cup unless you are in full rebuild mode to win in a few years. They opted to not rebuild just be mediocre.
Well they had cap issues with a huge hole at centre.Teams are not lining up to hand you top 6 centres as you well know. They tried to get Lindholm but wanted an extension which is smart but that never worked out.They are close to top of standings for yrs so it's hard to find it in draft .You strike gold sometimes but not this time.Anyhow they have holes for sure and we will just have to hope they can fix them as we move forward.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
I voted win the Cup. That has to be the expectation as I’m sure in the end it is for everyone here. That being said and with this team I’d be over the moon if they get to the conference finals. However unless there are major moves, they will be hard pressed to win a round. Hope I’m wrong but the lack of toughness (which is absolutely pathetic we continue year after year to talk about this!)….and more scoring (just like the lack of toughness….again!!!) will make it tough to advance again this year. Florida is the benchmark in the east IMO.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Conference finals appearance.

This is year 9 of Sweeney’s tenure. Not sure how many more years of first or second round losses he can withstand and still be GM. Couple more years and he will be the 2nd longest tenured bruins GM without a cup.

They scapegoated Cassidy and it blew up in their faces. They need post season results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad