Reserve Lists (80-man)

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Slitty, Jul 13, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Slitty

Slitty Registered User

Does anyone know where to find standardized versions of these things?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

2. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

You might look for each team's "media guide".

I know that the Sharks are pretty good about keeping their reserve list up to date (IOW when it's released at the start of the season).

(Now, for the Sharks, I do track it myself.)

3. Slitty

Slitty Registered User

Thanks, I flipped through last season's media guides and they all do indeed have the relevant information.

My gripe is that very few teams actually provide an organizational roster. The common trend is for teams to rather divide their reserve list according to their own unique system of differentiating between players/affiliates/in-the-system/futures/prospects/etc. It's easy enough to understand when looking at a particular team, but it gets rather tiresome and somewhat convoluted when looking across multiple teams - each with their own set of player categories and a separate spin on whom any given category is to include.

It's almost easier to look at the combined total of the NHL-wide registries of active players and prospects provided with the NHL Guide and Record Book... if only that didn't include "additional players with NHL experience" as it saw fit. I'm probably complaining without due cause, but I want some semblance of the actual 80-man reserve lists teams register with the NHL. :(

4. mouser

mouser Business of Hockey

Anyone know if the NHL/NHLPA amended the reserve list headcount?

The CBA says 90 players, while the cited FAQ on the NHL's site says 80 players.

From the 2005 CBA definitions: