Reserve Lists (80-man)

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Does anyone know where to find standardized versions of these things?

Reserve Lists
The list of players "belonging" to an NHL team is comprised of the following, the total of which may not exceed 80:

1. Pro players (maximum of 50)
2. Signed junior players (who have played less than 11 professional games)
3. Unsigned draft choices
4. Defected players (unsigned draft choices who are playing in Europe)
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
You might look for each team's "media guide".

I know that the Sharks are pretty good about keeping their reserve list up to date (IOW when it's released at the start of the season).

(Now, for the Sharks, I do track it myself.)

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Thanks, I flipped through last season's media guides and they all do indeed have the relevant information.

My gripe is that very few teams actually provide an organizational roster. The common trend is for teams to rather divide their reserve list according to their own unique system of differentiating between players/affiliates/in-the-system/futures/prospects/etc. It's easy enough to understand when looking at a particular team, but it gets rather tiresome and somewhat convoluted when looking across multiple teams - each with their own set of player categories and a separate spin on whom any given category is to include.

It's almost easier to look at the combined total of the NHL-wide registries of active players and prospects provided with the NHL Guide and Record Book... if only that didn't include "additional players with NHL experience" as it saw fit. I'm probably complaining without due cause, but I want some semblance of the actual 80-man reserve lists teams register with the NHL. :(

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Anyone know if the NHL/NHLPA amended the reserve list headcount?

The CBA says 90 players, while the cited FAQ on the NHL's site says 80 players.

From the 2005 CBA definitions:
"Reserve List" means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights
including all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not
currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have
subsequently been returned to Juniors. A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one
time, not more than 90 Players, which shall include the following:

(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players
and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to
Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from
inclusion in the 50 Player limit.
Any Club violating this provision shall be liable to loss of draft choices as
determined by the Commissioner.

(b) Unsigned Draft Choices.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad