Reselecting the Wild Nickname

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
In honor of the Las Vegas team nickname being revealed tonight (Golden Knights?), I thought it would be cool to revisit the selection of the "Wild" nickname from many years ago.

There were six finalists back in the day:
  • Blue Ox
  • Freeze
  • Northern Lights
  • Voyageurs
  • White Bears
  • Wild

Which name would you choose for the franchise as of today? If you still pick "Wild", what would your second choice have been?

I don't like any of the others to be honest. I'd take "Wild", but my second choice may have been... "Northern Lights"? What would you guys select, and/or, what did you vote for back in the '90s?

Last edited:

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Compared to the names listed I prefer the Wild. If we would've been able to take the Minnesota Moose name I would've liked that. I just looked up animals native to Minnesota and fancy the Muskrats, Prairie-Chickens and Critters too.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Minnesota Mantis Shrimp

Minnesota Mammoth

Minnesota Manatees

Minnesota Mallards

Minnesota Minute-Munchers (Suter = player & mascot)

Minnesota Hoppy (Beer + Bunny reference)

Minnesota Loons

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The North Stars was so perfect. Not going to vote because they are all so lame.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Still don't really like any of them, but if I had a vote, Northern Lights.

Minnesota Mantis Shrimp

Minnesota Mammoth

Minnesota Manatees

Minnesota Mallards

Minnesota Minute-Munchers (Suter = player & mascot)

Minnesota Hoppy (Beer + Bunny reference)

Minnesota Loons

Works on two levels. I like it.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Out of that list I'd go Wild, Voyageurs then Northern Lights. None of them stand out as a great name though.

I would have loved to have "North" somewhere in the name, and as others have said, North Stars was just so perfect. Made me think of a school we played against in High School that were named the Norse/Norsemen, and I always like that, although we'd fall into some overlap with the Vikings in that area.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Out of that list I'd go Wild, Voyageurs then Northern Lights. None of them stand out as a great name though.

I would have loved to have "North" somewhere in the name, and as others have said, North Stars was just so perfect. Made me think of a school we played against in High School that were named the Norse/Norsemen, and I always like that, although we'd fall into some overlap with the Vikings in that area.

Minnesota Norsemen would be better than a lot of those original names.

Has a North/Vikings theme that represents the area well.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
It's hard to believe that those were the narrowed down options. Voyageurs would be second place, but then we'd also be the Minnesota Minivans

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I find "Blue Ox" really odd, because you would say "oxen". I assume it was because of Babe, but could you imagine them saying... "The Minnesota Blue Ox".

And yeah Wild is singular but it's not an object so you wouldn't describe multiple "wild"s. Ox already has a plural form.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I would have been happy with Voyaguers or Northern Lights.

I don't like 2 word team names (because you have to include the location name), but Northern Lights reminds me the North Stars, which was perfect as mentioned.

I hate the "Wild" name. I love this team. I love the logo. I love the green and white jerseys. But I have always hated the name.

And I blame the Wild Thing roller coaster 100%. We are named after a stupid roller coaster. Because every freaking kid loved that thing when they had the competition.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
And I blame the Wild Thing roller coaster 100%. We are named after a stupid roller coaster. Because every freaking kid loved that thing when they had the competition.

Shhh, nobody remembers that except Minnesota-natives who grew up around the cities during the mid-to-late 90s. ;)

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
From that list Wild or Northern Lights. But that is a bad list.

Refuse to vote as a foreign citizen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad