WJC: Reseed in the semifinals?

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
I found this on IIHF.com.

Is this new for this year?

In the semi-finals the best-ranked team - criteria: 1) placement in the group, 2) points in the preliminary round, 3) goal difference in the preliminary round, 4) goals scored in the preliminary round, 5) seeding coming into the tournament - will play against the lowest-ranked semi-finalist. The 2nd-best ranked semi-finalist will play the 3rd-best ranked semi-finalist. The host if qualified, or otherwise the best-ranked semi-finalist according to beforementioned criteria, shall play the early game. The time slots will officially be determined after the quarter-final games.

In the semi-finals the best-ranked team - criteria: 1) placement in the group, 2) points in the preliminary round, 3) goal difference in the preliminary round, 4) goals scored in the preliminary round, 5) seeding coming into the tournament - will play against the lowest-ranked semi-finalist. The 2nd-best ranked semi-finalist will play the 3rd-best ranked semi-finalist. The host if qualified, or otherwise the best-ranked semi-finalist according to beforementioned criteria, shall play the early game. The time slots will officially be determined after the quarter-final games.

sekundomer

Dec 21, 2019
Ostrava
Yes. It was firstly in "test mode" at IIHF senior World Championship 2019 in Bratislava, Slovakia in May. Teams agreed before start of the tournament and IIHF implemented into 2020 Sport Regulations

Same as 3 on 3 overtime (10 minutes) in playoffs and 3 on 3 overtime (sudden death periods until the goal scored) in the Gold Medal Game.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
So are these the semi-final seeds:

1 - Sweden
2 - Canada
3 - Switzerland
4 - USA
5 - Finland
6 - Russia
7 - Czech Republic
8 - Slovakia

So let’s say Sweden and Canada win their quarters.

Sweden will play the lowest seed remaining. So if Russia beats Switzerland, it’s Sweden-Russia and Canada-USA/Finland

This may not be right idk

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018

1 - Sweden
2 - Canada
3 - Switzerland
4 - USA
5 - Finland
6 - Russia
7 - Czech Republic
8 - Slovakia

Sweden will play the lowest seed remaining. So if Russia beats Switzerland, it’s Sweden-Russia and Canada-USA/Finland

This is correct.

Horrible rule imo. Everybody knows that russia dogs it in group play and turns it up later.

If the old rule was in place, sweden would play finland in semis if they moved on.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
This is correct.

Horrible rule imo. Everybody knows that russia dogs it in group play and turns it up later.

If the old rule was in place, sweden would play finland in semis if they moved on.

If it makes the group stage games more meaningful, then I'm all for it.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Except it doesnt? Gaining 1st seed means nothing in this case. Russia isnt a bottom seed.

The world doesn't revolve around Russia. If they really didn't care about the group, then that's on them. Maybe thats why they havent won since 2011

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I had completely forgotten about this, which frankly bums me out as a USA hockey fan. They usually play the Swedes quite well.
Fellow USA fan here. The road to gold just keeps getting more and more harder for USA. The result of the Swiss-Finland game was brutal for US. Of course, this assumes Switzerland would have been "easier" opponent for US in the quarterfinal. (sigh)

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Fellow USA fan here. The road to gold just keeps getting more and more harder for USA. The result of the Swiss-Finland game was brutal for US. Of course, this assumes Switzerland would have been "easier" opponent for US in the quarterfinal. (sigh)

Sometimes the easiest road not does not lead to success. I think the Americans beat the Swedes if both teams face each other in the Semis. We have seen Sweden fall early after being in 1st place in their group before, and i think it will happen again with this American team. The Swedes are a paper tiger and a bit overrated. They played well in an inferior group, and when the Americans put the pressure on them- they will buckle under pressure like they are known to.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Sometimes the easiest road not does not lead to success. I think the Americans beat the Swedes. We have Sweden fall early after being in 1st place in their group before, and i think it will happen again with this American team. The Swedes are a paper tiger and a bit overrated. They played well in an inferior group, and when the Americans put the pressure on them- they will buckle under pressure like they are known to.
Americans will only get the Swedes in the finals if they both get there anyways.

Reactions: Mehar

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Americans will only get the Swedes in the finals if they both get there anyways.
You are correct. I was mistaken. I thought that if both Sweden and USA had won their QF games, they then would have met in the Semis. However, that would only happen now if Switzerland beats Russia. Russia is the Number 6 seed right now.

Last edited:

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada

1 - Sweden
2 - Canada
3 - Switzerland
4 - USA
5 - Finland
6 - Russia
7 - Czech Republic
8 - Slovakia

Accidentally read the IIHF rule wrong and made wrong assumption (whoops)

On another note, Scott Wheeler has said people that work with the World Juniors are giving conflicting reports and that it’s a bracket system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad