Rumor: REPORT - WORCESTER TELEGRAM - Patrice Bergeron expected to re-sign with Boston Bruins on 1-year deal

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
They also will have a extra 15 million on ltr until they return
So let's say they go $10m over the cap by signing some big UFAs.

Then in December McAvoy comes back and they have to clear $4m to fit him. How do you do that?
Then a month later Marchand comes back and they have to clear $6m to activate him. How do you do that?

Meanwhile, by being over you haven't banked space for a deadline deal.

I'm just curious how you think they deal away $10m 2 or 3 months into the season.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
There is no way the bruins going to use Ltr money because they have no way to get under again once the injuries come back. And would anyone trust Don with that extra money

everett rats

Oct 13, 2017
So let's say they go $10m over the cap by signing some big UFAs.

Then in December McAvoy comes back and they have to clear $4m to fit him. How do you do that?
Then a month later Marchand comes back and they have to clear $6m to activate him. How do you do that?

Meanwhile, by being over you haven't banked space for a deadline deal.

I'm just curious how you think they deal away $10m 2 or 3 months into the season.
Same as Tampa did

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
There is no way the bruins going to use Ltr money because they have no way to get under again once the injuries come back. And would anyone trust Don with that extra money

Just pull a TBL

That would be something if the Bruins can hold down a playoff spot. And at the start of the playoffs have Marchand and McAvoy back

• Haha

everett rats

Oct 13, 2017
They will definitely use the ltr money.. they easily can go make up that cap space by having someone go on LTR who really isn't that hurt also they can send plays the Providence release them etc there's many right ways around it

Bergeron is not coming back to miss playoffs...he knows the team has a plan it was definitely discussed they will add

• Haha

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Not the same at all.

In 20/21 the injured player didn't come back until the playoffs, when there is no cap.
This year they added Seabrook who never came back at all.

If your plan is to have Marchand and McAvoy sit out until April and STILL make the playoffs.... sure the Tampa way would work.

bingo!

we have bingo!

Thanks

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
They will definitely use the ltr money.. they easily can go make up that cap space by having someone go on LTR who really isn't that hurt also they can send plays the Providence release them etc there's many right ways around it

Bergeron is not coming back to miss playoffs...he knows the team has a plan it was definitely discussed they will add
There's no "releasing" players. You can buy them out... but it has to be this week. You can waive them and hope someone claims them... but if they aren't claimed you save about $1m per player. Now imagine they sign Bergie for $5m this summer (puts them over the cap by about $3m. but you can be over in the summer). Then they sign another F for $6m. You then put McAvoy and Marchand on LTIR.

At this point you are $9m over the cap. You can add more players if you want, up to about $6m more... but the more you add, the more you have to clear later. So now McAvoy wants to come back. You have to clear $3m to do that. Sure you can send 3 guys to PRO(say Reilly, Foligno and Nosek). If any get claimed they are off your cap. If not that's fine you have enough to bring McAvoy back. The problem is that you now don't have money to have any guys on the bench. If anyone gets injured for a short time you have to run with less than 18 skaters.

Then Marchand comes back. You now have to shave another $6m off. The "put someone on LTIR who isn't that hurt" is a tough solution. What if the player doesn't want to go on LTIR and sit out that many games and he or his agent says he's healthy? The league looked into the Kucherov injury situation. They investigated it. They determined it was a legit injury. You can't just tell a guy he's injured and can't play. The league, the NHLPA and others will get involved.

Again, if they can get rid of Foligno and Reilly they could still add someone... but nobody significant.

everett rats

Oct 13, 2017
There's no "releasing" players. You can buy them out... but it has to be this week. You can waive them and hope someone claims them... but if they aren't claimed you save about $1m per player. Now imagine they sign Bergie for $5m this summer (puts them over the cap by about $3m. but you can be over in the summer). Then they sign another F for $6m. You then put McAvoy and Marchand on LTIR.

At this point you are $9m over the cap. You can add more players if you want, up to about $6m more... but the more you add, the more you have to clear later. So now McAvoy wants to come back. You have to clear $3m to do that. Sure you can send 3 guys to PRO(say Reilly, Foligno and Nosek). If any get claimed they are off your cap. If not that's fine you have enough to bring McAvoy back. The problem is that you now don't have money to have any guys on the bench. If anyone gets injured for a short time you have to run with less than 18 skaters.

Then Marchand comes back. You now have to shave another $6m off. The "put someone on LTIR who isn't that hurt" is a tough solution. What if the player doesn't want to go on LTIR and sit out that many games and he or his agent says he's healthy? The league looked into the Kucherov injury situation. They investigated it. They determined it was a legit injury. You can't just tell a guy he's injured and can't play. The league, the NHLPA and others will get involved.

Again, if they can get rid of Foligno and Reilly they could still add someone... but nobody significant.
Debrusk would shed another 4 macvoy and March and when they return would not come back at their respective salary it would be prorated ..that itself saves 3-4 mil plus debrusk 4 Riley 3 that's 10 also can send foligno to Providence or like u mentioned someone like fredic or nosek to save even more there's room to add a significant piece especially now that they will have until November/December to work the numbers out

• Haha

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
waiting.gif

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Debrusk would shed another 4 macvoy and March and when they return would not come back at their respective salary it would be prorated ..that itself saves 3-4 mil plus debrusk 4 Riley 3 that's 10 also can send foligno to Providence or like u mentioned someone like fredic or nosek to save even more there's room to add a significant piece especially now that they will have until November/December to work the numbers out
Prorating doesn't work if a guy is on LTIR. Their salary is on the cap the whole time, not just when they are activated.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
OK I will say it.

If you are not happy about Bergy being back , You are NOT a good Bs fan:razz:
I’m thrilled he’ll likely be back. Top 3 of my Bs favorites and I’ve been watching since 1969.

That said, respectfully, if a bruins fan has another view of the path forward that excluded Bergy, if they made a good case for the benefits of him not returning, in my view their still a legit fan.

Mind you, I can’t wrap my head around that philosophy in this case, because of my affinity for the player and my view that there’s not a quick solution to life without 37 at the moment. but at the same time there are good solid sports fans who’d forego the return Of a franchise/historical player for a path that they believed was more conducive to contending for a cup in a relatively short time frame.
Different strokes. Different views. Still fans though.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

This is the underpants gnome logic from South Park.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That’s the thing some don’t get.

Getting Bergy doesn’t hold on any potential rebuild.

Leading core has shifted to the young superstars.

Pasta
McAvoy
Swayman

That’s the present and future.

A rocket Richard.
A Norris.
A Vezina.

Candidate for the next deacade.

To surround them next year:

-Marchand + Hall giving the team the best trio of W in NHL.

-The best two way C/F of all time at low base + gimmie gimmick type of Chara 1y deal giving flexibility Cap wise.

-Lindholm giving Bruins two elite D for next 8y being on ice 40% of the time together or 70-80% with at least one of them.

-Ullmark to give Bruins one of better if not best G duo in league. Or a trade chip to get assets and 5M to spend elsewhere.

Just getting Bergeron is not pushing away the idea of a potential rebuild that may or not even happen or even work but give the fans the chance of seeing the HoF reigning Selke winner be a huge part of Bruins great competitive success like the past so many years.

I’m all in for that.
maybe this is true on paper, but in practice Bergeron gives Sweeney and co a crutch to lean on that keeps delaying them from truly getting a top 6 center (or 2) to replace Bergeron & Krejci. It also gives them the ability to point to regular season success and say "see? we're doing a good job!" when the reality is that Bergeron is still good enough to carry this team into the playoffs every year, but the team lacks the overall depth to contend.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Maybe Arizona take an injured Grizz for a third, clears 3.75. Reilly doesn't have negative value, they should be able to move him, clear 3. I don't think they can move Foligno without giving away a good draft pick and he has a NTC, he's here as your 4th line LW.

If Krejci come back, a big if, you have Coyle and Haula eating up almost 8 in cap space, Coyle has a NTC and I believe a NMC which means you can't buy him out (which would make no sense from a cap perspective) meaning Haula has the most value and is easiest to trade. He would clear 2.75 which is a good contract for a third line center with only one year left on it so I would be adverse to moving him. The terrible Coyle contract is another Sweeney mistake that will hurt this team long term. how do you clear enough space for a second line center and a physical D? Who is top line LW for the first 20 games, is there anybody in system you would trust with that spot if you want to win? Can they move or buyout Smith? 3.1 in the last year would clear some space but probably not enough.

Does this defense look like it can go 500. until McAvoy gets back?
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Clifton
Zboril-Reilly

Let's say Bergeron signs for what they have in cap space 2.5, how is this forward group any better than last year where they got bounced in the first round?
DeBrusk-Bergeron-Lysell
Hall-Haula-Pastrnak
Frederic-Coyle-Smith
Foligno-Nosek-McLaughlin/Wagner/Steen.

Looks pretty similar to me once you add Marchand back in.

One would think that Sweeney would have to do something to clear cap space and add players but between his ego and ineptitude I don't really have much faith in having a better team. Can't wait to hear how they expect a bounce back year from Foligno.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

please stop this.
it isnt viable. Not in the real world.
Please move along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad