Replay needs a time limit

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Ideally, 30 seconds. 1 minute max.

If you can’t tell in 60 seconds what the correct call is with multiple angles and HD video, then the call on the ice is obviously correct.

Nobody would be bothered about that Makar goal if the game didn’t grind to a halt for ten minutes while we all got out our microscopes and PDFs of the rule book.

Offside is only challengeable in the first place because Matt Duchene was 30 feet offside one time and there was no way to rectify the obvious error.

Why spend 10 minutes of real time reviewing something if you’re going to come to the wrong decision anyway.

If you have a minute, you can double check, say “yes, that’s good” or “no, we f***ed up”.

Anything longer, and all you’re going to do is outthink yourself.

Carry on.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Oh, and if it’s really about “getting the call right”, put whatever sorcery tennis uses for its challenges across the blue line and the goal lines, CG the puck, and call it day.

Those replays take 5 seconds and nobody remembers anything about them 10 seconds later.

Otherwise, take a look, and drop the puck. It’s a school night.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Oh, and if it’s really about “getting the call right”, put whatever sorcery tennis uses for its challenges across the blue line and the goal lines, CG the puck, and call it day.

Those replays take 5 seconds and nobody remembers anything about them 10 seconds later.

Otherwise, take a look, and drop the puck. It’s a school night.
Yeah that works for goal line challenges, but there are more factors of what makes a good goal or not. I get it, it's frustrating that it takes a while, and if you don't like the call, that makes it worse. But challenges exist because refs are barely capable at their jobs.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
not knowing what angles refs have to review, its difficult for me to agree. In the playoffs, I am more concerned with them getting it right. Like you said though, 10 minutes is far too long, if the call is obvious, make it

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Yeah that works for goal line challenges, but there are more factors of what makes a good goal or not. I get it, it's frustrating that it takes a while, and if you don't like the call, that makes it worse. But challenges exist because refs are barely capable at their jobs.

NHL referees are walking embodiments of the Peter Principle.

Linesmen, however, are ceaselessly professional and incredibly accurate, relative to how hard it actually is to do that job at the NHL level.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
NHL referees are walking embodiments of the Peter Principle.

Linesmen, however, are ceaselessly professional and incredibly accurate, relative to how hard it actually is to do that job at the NHL level.
We are just in a transition phase, until technology catches up and replaces human errors. Until then, we have the hybrid combination of video technology and human beings.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Get rid of offside challenge. I’m fine if they take their time on something like interference. Offside was never meant to be looked at with a microscope.
I agree with this and the OP. If you need more than a minute to determine is a play if offside or not, then it's too close for the human eye to determine in real time, and therefore should be considered onside.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Get rid of offsides review altogether. It completely misunderstands the purpose of the offsides rule. We'd be better off having coach's challenges interrupt play to review every missed hook and grab. That would at least make an iota of sense within the purpose of those rules.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The thing that bugs me about the offside challenge is that we accept a degree of human error into basically every other call in our game. If the mission is to 'get it right' then why aren't we reviewing every single hooking, holding, interference, etc call. Bad calls happen, why do we give such a preferential shit about some skate being 3.6mm on the wrong side of a line.

Just get rid of it. A dumb rule to begin with.

Craigo85

Apr 24, 2018
Ideally, 30 seconds. 1 minute max.

If you can’t tell in 60 seconds what the correct call is with multiple angles and HD video, then the call on the ice is obviously correct.

Nobody would be bothered about that Makar goal if the game didn’t grind to a halt for ten minutes while we all got out our microscopes and PDFs of the rule book.

Offside is only challengeable in the first place because Matt Duchene was 30 feet offside one time and there was no way to rectify the obvious error.

Why spend 10 minutes of real time reviewing something if you’re going to come to the wrong decision anyway.

If you have a minute, you can double check, say “yes, that’s good” or “no, we f***ed up”.

Anything longer, and all you’re going to do is outthink yourself.

Carry on.
I've always said my preference would be that the referees can watch a clip (should be a cap on angles available, maybe 2 the challenging team video coach picks) a max of 2 times ..and maybe even capping the total replays at 3 if that's still taking a while.

The clip would have to be in real time no, slow-mo allowed!

I'm flexible on the number of angles and replays, but to me the goal would be having the refs watch less than 30 seconds of clips on the screen... and mandatory that it's in real time. Maybe the video coach even says watch these three clips from cameras A, B, C (or A, B, A, or even camera B 3 times)

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The thing that bugs me about the offside challenge is that we accept a degree of human error into basically every other call in our game. If the mission is to 'get it right' then why aren't we reviewing every single hooking, holding, interference, etc call. Bad calls happen, why do we give such a preferential shit about some skate being 3.6mm on the wrong side of a line.

Just get rid of it. A dumb rule to begin with.
Preach preach preach

The existence of an offside rule that gets called by refs within, say, even a half second has already solved every problem that it was ever intended to. The only reason that rule exists is to keep guys from just cherry picking all game. Since the institution of the rule, it has forced teams to play as a unit. They do it. That's it. It's 100% successful at the goal.

There's literally no competitive reason to ever call back a goal for being offside if it wasn't called on the ice. At the scale of error we're talking about, it never makes a meaningful competitive difference. It is always just neurotic OCD meaningless garbage. Every single time. You might as well call back goals because somebody's jersey wasn't hemmed according to league specifications. That's how much I care.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I've always said my preference would be that the referees can watch a clip (should be a cap on angles available, maybe 2 the challenging team video coach picks) a max of 2 times ..and maybe even capping the total replays at 3 if that's still taking a while.

The clip would have to be in real time no, slow-mo allowed!

I'm flexible on the number of angles and replays, but to me the goal would be having the refs watch less than 30 seconds of clips on the screen... and mandatory that it's in real time. Maybe the video coach even says watch these three clips from cameras A, B, C (or A, B, A, or even camera B 3 times)

That’s a great idea - make the challenging team submit their evidence. They submit three angles, and the refs can watch each clip twice at full speed.

Craigo85

Apr 24, 2018
That’s a great idea - make the challenging team submit their evidence. They submit three angles, and the refs can watch each clip twice at full speed.
Even better, get the networks to buy in and show the fans the same things they see too. Then show fans slow-mo later in intermission.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The amount of time each for coaches and officials.

Coaches can have ten seconds to challenge - one replay. Far too much delaying the game to decide.

Officials have 30-60 seconds of review.

If it cannot be determined conclusively then it had little impact on the play and is wasting fans' time.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The amount of time each for coaches and officials.

Coaches can have ten seconds to challenge - one replay. Far too much delaying the game to decide.

Officials have 30-60 seconds of review.

If it cannot be determined conclusively then it had little impact on the play and is wasting fans' time.

That's because the Refs have to call the review dept in Toronto

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
If the league insists on the offside rule being reviewable then just do it in real time only. That will avoid ridiculous gaffes like the Duchene goal while not making a mockery of the whole offside rule and watching super slow motion for 10 minutes to determine if a play was a **** hair offside.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad