Replacement players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanko

Dec 10, 2003
Visit site
This is where the NHL dropped the ball.They should have been prepared to go replacement players right from the begining.This is what the NFL did in I believe 87.Part of the NHL's plan was to break the union nothing does that better than people crossing picket lines.Plus there would be enormous pressure to get this deal done.My two cents.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Tanko said:
This is where the NHL dropped the ball.They should have been prepared to go replacement players right from the begining.This is what the NFL did in I believe 87.Part of the NHL's plan was to break the union nothing does that better than people crossing picket lines.Plus there would be enormous pressure to get this deal done.My two cents.

Not to be an ignoranus here, but you have it wrong. The NHL doesn't want to break the union in any form. The NHL wants the players to have a union and a leadership, just a fair representable one. Believe me, the NHL isn't breaking the union, the union is breaking itself.

Tanko

Dec 10, 2003
Visit site
ranold26 said:
Not to be an ignoranus here, but you have it wrong. The NHL doesn't want to break the union in any form. The NHL wants the players to have a union and a leadership, just a fair representable one. Believe me, the NHL isn't breaking the union, the union is breaking itself.

No they definately wanted to break the the union.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
Tanko said:

But it has been said here on the boards by people who apparently know these things that Canadians and Europeans cannot play for US teams in that case.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Tanko said:

Please tell us why you think that? You sound like Mathieu Schneider or another union member :lol

PS, the only threat to the union is the union itself. Either the desparity within the group or the leadership will kill it.

Tanko

Dec 10, 2003
Visit site
Fredrik said:
But it has been said here on the boards by people who apparently know these things that Canadians and Europeans cannot play for US teams in that case.

Then what are they going to do in September?I have a hard time believing that.

Tanko

Dec 10, 2003
Visit site
ranold26 said:
Please tell us why you think that? You sound like Mathieu Schneider or another union member :lol

PS, the only threat to the union is the union itself. Either the desparity within the group or the leadership will kill it.

Bettman wants to run a dictatorship.Either way had they gone to replacement players this lock out would be over.

flyercide

Feb 27, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
this has been discussed on the boards here. way it was explained was that replacement players wasn't an option this year due to way the law works. something like showing that the nhl did everything they could to workout an agreement so if taken to court they couldnt have it overturned or something. however, next year... bring them in please ill be there rooting for the flyers even if its the entire phantom team!.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Tanko said:
Bettman wants to run a dictatorship.Either way had they gone to replacement players this lock out would be over.

Bettman isn't forcing the players to accept a huge paycut here. Wow go from 1.8 to 1.3m on average.... The union has the right to negotiate in whatever way they want. The only thing the NHL is doing is resetting the market, the same one that the union exploited for years to get salaries so high. The union fails to be subject of reality here, so they will crumble within.
And if it ever gets to replacement players, the PA members can thank themselves when they ponder why they could have taken 1.3m versus sub 1m on average. The union's hands are not tied and at gun point here by the NHL, they are holding themselves hostage here to get a ransom.......and no one is buying it.

Tanko

Dec 10, 2003
Visit site
ranold26 said:
Bettman isn't forcing the players to accept a huge paycut here. Wow go from 1.8 to 1.3m on average.... The union has the right to negotiate in whatever way they want. The only thing the NHL is doing is resetting the market, the same one that the union exploited for years to get salaries so high. The union fails to be subject of reality here, so they will crumble within.
And if it ever gets to replacement players, the PA members can thank themselves when they ponder why they could have taken 1.3m versus sub 1m on average. The union's hands are not tied and at gun point here by the NHL, they are holding themselves hostage here to get a ransom.......and no one is buying it.

It was the owners spending that set the ridiculous market.Look I'm not pro owner or pro player my opinion they are all idiots.I'm just saying replacement players would expediate the process.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Tanko said:

Do you have any idea what would happen if they (NHL) were successful in breaking the union. No union, no CBA, no CBA, all players who's contract are up become UFA, and no draft. Read your Anti-Trust Laws (USA) and Competition Act (Canada). It would suicide for the NHL if the NHLPA were to decertify. You need a partner (union) to have a CBA!!!!

Tanko

Dec 10, 2003
Visit site
Mighty Duck said:
Do you have any idea what would happen if they (NHL) were successful in breaking the union. No union, no CBA, no CBA, all players who's contract are up become UFA, and no draft. Read your Anti-Trust Laws (USA) and Competition Act (Canada). It would suicide for the NHL if the NHLPA were to decertify. You need a partner (union) to have a CBA!!!!

Break this union as we know it.Not eliminate a union all together.Sheesh

SENSible1*

ranold26 said:

42.5/ 23 players = 1.85M per player.

Some major concession the league is asking for; they're offering a potential raise.

If the PA was smart they'd have offset the fact that not all teams were going to meet the cap with a profit sharing plan and been laughing all the way to the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad