Rene Lecavalier Division Semifinals: (2) Stockholm Full Throttle vs. (3) Rögle BK

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
4bVSw1S.png

Coach: Hap Day
Assistant Coach: Billy Reay
Team Captain: Nicklas Lidström
Alternate Captains: Ted Lindsay, Ted Kennedy

Ted Lindsay (A) - Ted Kennedy (A) - Martin St. Louis
Lawrence "Baldy" Northcott - Dale Hawerchuk - Vaclav Nedomansky
Don McKenney - Bernie Federko - Ace Bailey
Ray Getliffe - Joel Otto - Jimmy Roberts

Nicklas Lidström (C) - Jack Crawford
Ernie "Moose" Johnson - Mike Grant
Sandis Ozolinsh - Eduard Ivanov

Vladislav Tretiak
Lorne Chabot

Spares: Dick Duff (LW) - Billy Boucher (RW) - Al Iafrate (D)

PP1: Ted Lindsay - Vaclav Nedomansky - Dale Hawerchuk - Sandis Ozolinsh - Nicklas Lidström
PP2: Lawrence "Baldy" Northcott - Ted Kennedy - Martin St. Louis - Mike Grant - Eduard Ivanov

PK1: Ted Kennedy - Jimmy Roberts - Nicklas Lidström - Ernie "Moose" Johnson
PK2: Joel Otto - Ray Getliffe - Mike Grant - Jack Crawford​

vs.

R%C3%B6gle-BK-Logo.jpg

Coach: Scotty Bowman
Captain: Steve Yzerman
Assistants: Larry Robinson and Rod Brind'Amour

Frank Mahovlich - Steve Yzerman - Glenn Anderson
Mats Näslund - Pavel Datsyuk - Daniel Alfredsson
Don Marcotte - Rod Brind'Amour - Reggie Leach
Rejean Houle - Kris Draper - Rick Tocchet
Red Berenson - Pit Martin

Larry Robinson - Serge Savard
Leo Boivin - Brian Rafalski
Kimmo Timonen - Harvey Pulford
Al Arbour - Calle Johansson

Clint Benedict
Vladimir Dzurilla

PP1
Frank Mahovlich - Steve Yzerman - Glenn Anderson

PP2
Mats Näslund - Pavel Datsyuk - Daniel Alfredsson
Kimmo Timonen - Brian Rafalski

PK1
Kris Draper - Pavel Dastyuk

PK2
Rod Brind'Amour - Don Marcotte
Leo Boivin - Harvey Pulford​

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Alright, looks like I'll have to do that thing where I spill some gas, light a match, and scurry away mischieviously. (Hobnobs actually suggested I do that, so here goes.)

These are two very good teams that are pretty balanced at all positions.

- Which of you guys are going to come out more physically? Hobnobs has that beastly first pairing, and Brind'amour as a matchup option, while Iceman has Hap Day giving the marching orders. How does this effect the outcome of the series?
- Hobnobs can use what might be the league's best defensive 5-man unit (2nd line and 1st pairing) against Iceman's excellent first line, and Iceman can use a legit #2 defenseman (Johnson) and of course Lidstrom, for around three quarters of the game. How can you exploit those advantages, respectively?
- Är något av lagen bra på att skriva internationella pop hits, matlagning köttbullar, eller effektivt förpackning lätt monterade möbler?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Alright, looks like I'll have to do that thing where I spill some gas, light a match, and scurry away mischieviously. (Hobnobs actually suggested I do that, so here goes.)

These are two very good teams that are pretty balanced at all positions.

- Which of you guys are going to come out more physically? Hobnobs has that beastly first pairing, and Brind'amour as a matchup option, while Iceman has Hap Day giving the marching orders. How does this effect the outcome of the series?
- Hobnobs can use what might be the league's best defensive 5-man unit (2nd line and 1st pairing) against Iceman's excellent first line, and Iceman can use a legit #2 defenseman (Johnson) and of course Lidstrom, for around three quarters of the game. How can you exploit those advantages, respectively?
- Är något av lagen bra på att skriva internationella pop hits, matlagning köttbullar, eller effektivt förpackning lätt monterade möbler?

I think the physical match ups are solid for both teams. I think STHLM has a bit of an edge at that in its forward corps while we have it on our defensive corps. As for Hap Day giving the marching orders. Thats all fine because we have Bowman foiling said orders :naughty:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I'll drop in a word or two when I get a chance. When is the last day? I keep forgetting about things. :P

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Just at first glance, this series looks like an instant 7 gamer.

Rogle has a crapton of defensive depth, which I think matches extremely well against Stockholm, who went for more offensive depth at the expense of a true checking line. That being said, I do think the Kennedy line is an excellent unit to go up against Rogle's first line (really unfortunate for Rogle), and I'm just not sure that Rogle has the offensive depth to overcome that.

Currently going to say Stockholm in 7, but this one is very much up in the air for me.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Just at first glance, this series looks like an instant 7 gamer.

Rogle has a crapton of defensive depth, which I think matches extremely well against Stockholm, who went for more offensive depth at the expense of a true checking line. That being said, I do think the Kennedy line is an excellent unit to go up against Rogle's first line (really unfortunate for Rogle), and I'm just not sure that Rogle has the offensive depth to overcome that.

Currently going to say Stockholm in 7, but this one is very much up in the air for me.

Weird to come in and put pressure on one GM like that :P

Anyways. I dont see that the difference in offensive depth to be that big of a problem like you do. I have four lines with players that has had defensive assignments vs the very best while still being able to score. We have Bowman controlling the coaching and making his normally genius line adjustments on the fly.

We a very tough defense to score upon while being able to provide offense.

Also I think our first pairing makes more sense than Stockholms. Lidström with a defense first partner is just weird and it will hamper his team either offensively or defensively.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Weird to come in and put pressure on one GM like that :P

Anyways. I dont see that the difference in offensive depth to be that big of a problem like you do. I have four lines with players that has had defensive assignments vs the very best while still being able to score. We have Bowman controlling the coaching and making his normally genius line adjustments on the fly.

We a very tough defense to score upon while being able to provide offense.

Also I think our first pairing makes more sense than Stockholms. Lidström with a defense first partner is just weird and it will hamper his team either offensively or defensively.

Hmm.. that's the first time I've ever heard that about Lidstrom. Can you please elaborate?

He's just stirring the pot in all the threads to try and get you guys active.

We could use some more discussion going on in these threads!

No, I actually really truly believe in transparency during this process. I also want to give GMs a chance to defend themselves regarding specific points I'm thinking about before voting starts. It really sucks to lose a series and really have no idea why.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Hmm.. that's the first time I've ever heard that about Lidstrom. Can you please elaborate?

Lidström at his best is a defenseman who stays back and controls the play. Minimizing risks and makes efficient outlet passes while his partner is a little more inclined on following the offense up the ice (Murphy, Rafalski, Coffey). This set up will hamper the offense at ES or having Lidström drive the offense but with the risk factor of getting caught up ice which would be very dangerous versus my team.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Lidström at his best is a defenseman who stays back and controls the play. Minimizing risks and makes efficient outlet passes while his partner is a little more inclined on following the offense up the ice (Murphy, Rafalski, Coffey). This set up will hamper the offense at ES or having Lidström drive the offense but with the risk factor of getting caught up ice which would be very dangerous versus my team.

To be honest I always felt Lidstrom was one of the easiest players to build a defense around. If this is accurate, I may have been mistaken.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
To be honest I always felt Lidstrom was one of the easiest players to build a defense around. If this is accurate, I may have been mistaken.

He is easy to build around but if you want him at his absolute best you want a responsible mobile defenseman next to him.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009

Well, there's Murphy, Rafalski, Coffey and Schneider, who paired prominently with Lidstrom for big seasons.

Was he paired with Chelios in 2002? Ice time suggests yes, although I've seen one post listing his partner as Mathieu Dandenault (which makes no sense given Dandenault's 13 minutes per game).

I think you'd find fewer examples of Lidstrom paired with big, bruising stay-at-home guys, although McCrimmon, Markov, would be among them. No evidence that Nick played any worse with them.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Well, there's Murphy, Rafalski, Coffey and Schneider, who paired prominently with Lidstrom for big seasons.

Was he paired with Chelios in 2002? Ice time suggests yes, although I've seen one post listing his partner as Mathieu Dandenault (which makes no sense given Dandenault's 13 minutes per game).

I think you'd find fewer examples of Lidstrom paired with big, bruising stay-at-home guys, although McCrimmon, Markov, would be among them. No evidence that Nick played any worse with them.

Lidströms defensive partners in order

1992 -- McCrimmon
1993 -- McCrimmon
1994 -- Coffey
1995 -- Coffey
1996 -- Coffey
1997 -- Murphy
1998 -- Murphy
1999 -- Murphy
2000 -- Murphy
2001 -- Murphy/Dandeneault
2002 -- Olausson
2003 -- Dandeneault/Bykov/Fischer
2004 -- Schneider
2006 -- Schneider/Lilja (Kronwall (Olympics))
2007 -- Schneider/Markov
2008 -- Rafalski
2009 -- Rafalski
2010 -- Rafalski
2011 -- Rafalski
2012 -- Kronwall/Stuart/White/Quincey (dont remember who actually spent most time on his side that year)

And I didnt suggest that he would be outright bad but its not an optimal pairing for him. He himself, Bowman, the fan base etc etc etc all agree that Lidströms optimal partners are guys like Murphy.

Rafalski was btw pointed out by Bowman as the best suited partner for Lidström out of all of the players he has seen.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Lidströms defensive partners in order

1992 -- McCrimmon
1993 -- McCrimmon
1994 -- Coffey
1995 -- Coffey
1996 -- Coffey
1997 -- Murphy
1998 -- Murphy
1999 -- Murphy
2000 -- Murphy
2001 -- Murphy/Dandeneault
2002 -- Olausson
2003 -- Dandeneault/Bykov/Fischer
2004 -- Schneider
2006 -- Schneider/Lilja (Kronwall (Olympics))
2007 -- Schneider/Markov
2008 -- Rafalski
2009 -- Rafalski
2010 -- Rafalski
2011 -- Rafalski
2012 -- Kronwall/Stuart/White/Quincey (dont remember who actually spent most time on his side that year)

And I didnt suggest that he would be outright bad but its not an optimal pairing for him. He himself, Bowman, the fan base etc etc etc all agree that Lidströms optimal partners are guys like Murphy.

Rafalski was btw pointed out by Bowman as the best suited partner for Lidström out of all of the players he has seen.

Interesting to have it laid out like that. The four longest-running partners are all offensive guys, and the ones with the best results (Rafalski and Murphy) are a little more responsible than the other two (Coffey and Schneider). Then you have guys like Olausson and Dandenault, who weren't putting up big numbers, but still got it done with finesse. McCrimmon seems like a guy you'd stick on a pairing with any young D regardless of style. Fischer, Lilja and Markov stick out as aberrant choices. I have no memory of Bykov.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Interesting to have it laid out like that. The four longest-running partners are all offensive guys, and the ones with the best results (Rafalski and Murphy) are a little more responsible than the other two (Coffey and Schneider). Then you have guys like Olausson and Dandenault, who weren't putting up big numbers, but still got it done with finesse. McCrimmon seems like a guy you'd stick on a pairing with any young D regardless of style. Fischer, Lilja and Markov stick out as aberrant choices. I have no memory of Bykov.

Bykov and Fischer were just being mentored. I dont know exactly how they played with Lidström. Fischer played more with him obviously.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
This is an interesting match up for sure.

While your team is more defensive minded than mine, particularly down the middle, both our teams are more about two-way play than any other team in our division. Most teams in our division are all about offensive so it's interesting to face what might have the most in common in your division. At the very least we both tried to balance the line up out a bit while drafting. Some BPA's for sure but not in a sense that it gave up team need to do it. Was Reggie Leach anything of a two-way player? Or was he just a BPA pick? I am not sure myself, that's why I am asking. I am just aware of his shooting prowess and playoff history.

As far as physicality goes, none of our teams are over the top aggressive but your team is more about tight checking while mine could potentially turn the game up with a hit or two.

As far as patting my own shoulder a bit, I think my 1st line can be key here with it's speed and smart offensive play. They are also ferocious backcheckers. While I think some of your players match up very well but, it could be tough in a long series because I think this series could be a surprisingly intense and high paced.

Key for Stockholm to win: Skate, skate and skate. Attack and make quick passes.

Key for Rögle to win: Play a tight checking game, slow the game down a bit and hope for turnovers.

The goalie situation is interesting. We both have really good, considerably above average starters. Mine is better and could be a coin flip type deciding factor but if he is a star, Benedict is too. I think they are both capable of making this into a 7 game series.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
This is an interesting match up for sure.

While your team is more defensive minded than mine, particularly down the middle, both our teams are more about two-way play than any other team in our division. Most teams in our division are all about offensive so it's interesting to face what might have the most in common in your division. At the very least we both tried to balance the line up out a bit while drafting. Some BPA's for sure but not in a sense that it gave up team need to do it. Was Reggie Leach anything of a two-way player? Or was he just a BPA pick? I am not sure myself, that's why I am asking. I am just aware of his shooting prowess and playoff history.

As far as physicality goes, none of our teams are over the top aggressive but your team is more about tight checking while mine could potentially turn the game up with a hit or two.

As far as patting my own shoulder a bit, I think my 1st line can be key here with it's speed and smart offensive play. They are also ferocious backcheckers. While I think some of your players match up very well but, it could be tough in a long series because I think this series could be a surprisingly intense and high paced.

Key for Stockholm to win: Skate, skate and skate. Attack and make quick passes.

Key for Rögle to win: Play a tight checking game, slow the game down a bit and hope for turnovers.

The goalie situation is interesting. We both have really good, considerably above average starters. Mine is better and could be a coin flip type deciding factor but if he is a star, Benedict is too. I think they are both capable of making this into a 7 game series.

Going to bed but Ill answer the question about Leach. Yes, he was a two-way player which is why he slots in pretty nicely with RBA and Marcotte.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad