Rene Lecavalier Division Semi Finals - Saskatoon Snipers (1) vs Les Braves de Valleyfield (4)

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

saskatoon-snipers-jersey-png.313493

Saskatoon Snipers (1)

Coach:

Anatoly Tarasov

Forwards:

Baldy Northcott - Cyclone Taylor - Ziggy Palffy

Valeri Kharlamov - Vladimir Petrov - Konstantin Loktev

Bob Davidson (A) - John Madden - Ken Randall

Dubbie Kerr - Vladimir Shadrin - Bobby Gould (defensive upgrade)

Spare:

Marcel Bonin - LW
Hakan Loob - RW

Defensemen:

Harry Howell - Hod Stuart (A)

Jim Schoenfeld (C) - Lennart Svedberg

Dollar St. Laurent - Dustin Byfuglien

Spare:

Christian Ehrhoff

Goalies:

Turk Broda
Chris Osgood

Special Teams:

PP1:

Kharlamov (half wall) - Northcott (net front) - Taylor (half wall)
Stuart (trigger) - Svedberg (QB)

PP2:

Kerr (half wall) - Petrov (bumper) - Palffy (half wall)
Byfuglien (trigger) - Svedberg (QB)

PK1:

Davidson - Madden
Schoenfeld - Howell

PK2:

Shadrin - Gould
St Laurent - Stuart

VS:

braves-hockey-001.jpg

Les Braves de Valleyfield (4)

Coach: Mike Babcock

Graves-Trottier (A)-Mosienko
Bentley-Bentley-Neely
Prospal-Stamkos-Wharram
Pavelich-Poulin (A)-Keane

JParise/GMurray (51 ES VsX)

Vasko-Pilote (C)
Ramsey-Ozolinsh
Hartsburg-Krupp
Persson

Price
Moran

PP1:
Trottier (23)
Stamkos (34) - Neely (20) - Ozolinsh (25)
Pilote (24)

PP2: D.Bentley,M.Bentley,Wharram(21),Hartsburg(25),Persson(24)
PK1: Pavelich, Poulin(50), Vasko(53),Ramsey(49)
PK2: Keane(35),Graves(27), Pilote(47),Krupp(45)​

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I'm on the road here, so these are probably the matchups you'll go for?

Turk Broda

Jim Schoenfeld (C) - Lennart Svedberg
Ken Randall - John Madden - Bob Davidson (A)

Steven Stamkos - Bryan Trottier (A) - Cam Neely
Craig Hartsburg - Sandis Ozolinsh

Harry Howell - Hod Stuart (A)
Bobby Gould - Vladimir Shadrin - Dubbie Kerr

Doug Bentley - Max Bentley - Bill Mosienko
Mike Ramsey - Uwe Krupp/Persson (nz/oz starts)

Konstantin Loktev - Vladimir Petrov - Valeri Kharlamov
Marty Pavelich - Dave Poulin (A) - Mike Keane
Moose Vasko - Pierre Pilote (C)

Dustin Byfuglien - Dollar St. Laurent
Ziggy Palffy - Cyclone Taylor - Baldy Northcott
JP Parise - Vinny Prospal - Kenny Wharram
Moose Vasko - Pierre Pilote (C)

(Of course I want to get Poulin's line on Taylor with Pilote, but not always possible... Taylor on Prospal is so bad I'm going to have to have Poulin step in here - and absolutely no dzone starts for this group.)

Carey Price

I feel like I have a special teams edge. You have the goaltending edge, though I think Price is vastly underrated in ATD.​

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
@tinyzombies

Hey bud, congrats on making it into the dance here, looking forward to a good series! Valleyfield is a sneaky good roster.

I'll start off by subbing out Hakan Loob for Bobby Gould on the 4th line @ RW.

He's an above average defensive player and I think that's important to get into the lineup with a 2nd line that has Bentley-Bentley.

As the home team, we'd be rolling out the following to star this series:

Davidson-Madden-Randall will match up against Trottier's line for a couple of reasons. One, BT is the best offensive and overall player on the Braves. Two, he played a hard game and was an uber physical SOB. Madden is about as well suited to go toe to toe with a guy like Trottier given his own physicality traits and defensive acumen. Obviously Trottier will get his chances but I do like Madden to do a better than average job of shadowing him and not giving up an inch in the physical battles.

Kerr-Shadrin-Gould will see a good bit of Bentley-Bentley-Neely. As far as 4th line defensive presences goes, Shadrin-Gould isn't too shabby going up against Bentley-Bentley but obviously the latter duo has a sizable advantage. I think it prudent to counter a strong real life partnership with better defensive ability/awareness.

As for the match ups:

Coaching:

Admittedly I'm not much of a fan of Babcock. I think him quite overrated in the modern game but at the end of the day I think he's still one of the top 3-5 coaches of the past 20 years. With that being said I think Tarasov is a good bit superior. I'm not exactly sure I know where I'd put AT all time but I lean towards the top 10 simply because he had such a big hand in building hockey in the Soviet Union and is record is very strong. Here he has a roster I think he would mostly love, though I do know Petrov and he clashed and big Buff would probably drive Tarasov nuts with his conditioning.

With that being said, I think he bulk of Saskatooon is a great fit for Tarasov.

I don't think this is some sort of massive advantage but Tarasov is at least a full notch above Babcock to me.

Forwards:

Taylor was an electrifying offensive player, elite wheels, deft stick handling, great goal scorer, passer. Some might say an artist. Palffy would be a good fit. Responsible defensively, really great offensive flair and skill. Quite underrated from the DPE. I think he and Taylor would be a treat to watch in the transition game. Northcott is the glue. The uber physical check. Real strong defensively, passable offense.

Trottier is a touch better than Taylor all time but the gap is small. Pittsburgh gets the win comparing first lines based on the superior wing players on both sides. Taylor, in my eyes has a good bit more to work with on his flanks especially at LW which is a big big win for Pitt.

Both 2nd lines are fantastic. How cool is it that you have the Bentley brothers and the reunion of Kharlamov-Petrov!

Really close overall, but I'll give Valleyfield a slight edge here. I do prefer Kharlamov-Petrov slightly to B&B, but Neely is a good ways ahead of Loktev, even if the latter is a strong fit next to his fellow Soviets.

The 3rd line shifts back to favor the Snipers IMO. Better on the wings with Davidson/Randall vs Prospal/Wharram. Stamkos is a better all time player than Madden but I think Madden's impact in this series has the potential to be much bigger given his assignment of Trottier.

Strong 4th line for Valleyfield. Give them the edge here though as I said, I like Pittsburgh's bottom 6 with Gould in there to have more success slowing down the top 6 of Vallefield than vice vera.

Defense:

Really nice top pairing for the Braves. PP is an above average # 1 whereas Hod Stuart is probably just on the edge of being passable as a #1 though I do think Howell is a solid #2 and a bit stronger than Vasko. But overall this is a clear advantage for Valleyfield. You have real life teammates and a much stronger #1 for the Braves. It's not a giant gap because Howell closes it somewhat but it's advantage VF.

I think the 2nd pairings flip though.

Schoenfeld is pretty clearly the better D of the 4. And I think he's a fantastic fit for Svedberg who was a pretty dynamic offensive player in Sweden and the international circuit before he tragically died at 28 I think, right in the middle of his prime.

3rd pairings look to be a wash.

Goalies:

Broda, IMO, is where the series really tilts. I do like Price a good bit. I think he's a top 30 G of all time now but he's still below average in this draft/series.

Broda on the other hand is one of the best playoff G's of all time.

Special Teams:

I like Valleyfield's depth on the PP. Gotta love that F depth and the point men. The Braves have better PK forwards but I think Saskatoon is a touch better on the blue line.

Overall:

I think Pittsburgh has clear advantages behind the bench and G with a small win comparing F's.

Valleyfield has a touch better defensive group, based on the top pairing and I'll give them a nod on special teams but at the end of the day I think Saskatoon is just better in more areas and Tarasov has a roster mainly full of guys he coached in real life or would have likely been fond of.

Reactions: tinyzombies

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
"Saskatoon locals still concerned about GM's commitment to franchise, reports say."

I've been very open about my admiration for my Pittsburgh team. It's the best roster I've ever put together, IMO. With that being said, I think Saskatoon is a very good roster, capable of going deep and I believe the voters did as well placing them 1st in the division. I'm happy to go to bat for this group just as I am for Pittsburgh.

Most GM's aren't even active right now, for either team.

I don't blame anyone for that. But it is reality. Between life AND Covid, everyone has a lot going on, both physically and mentally. I'm in a unique position because A, I'm able to work from home, from a computer and B, am a divorced, late 30's individual. So I do probably have more time than some. With that being said, I am still quite busy during the day in transpiration logistics, as a planning manager (work) and have an 8 year old son to take care of multiple days/night a week. This weekend was a case in point. I could have neglected my responsibility as a father for a fantasy draft but we spent most the day, yesterday visiting my folks, an hour and half from where I live. It's not like I'm just spending 24 hours a day with no interruptions here.

I'll be more than happy to expand upon the Saskatoon roster and make up if/when people critique it.

So if you want to, sarcastically or otherwise, talk about a commitment to a franchise because of one slip of the mind/keyboard, I'm not the guy. I at least showed up and gave my overviews for this match up. I wasn't engaged like @overpass engaged me in the Pittsburgh thread. I hope people remember I stepped up for the sake of the entire draft and took over admin duties mid way. I didn't have to do that but I chose not to let thing crumble. My commitment to the entire draft shouldn't be questioned, let alone my responsibilities as GM.

I'm pretty sure you are simply being sarcastic in which case I chuckle because it was certainly an unconscious slip on my part. :laugh:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Two nice teams with strong rosters; I agree with ImporterExporter that Les Braves is a sneaky good team; I do like the roster tweaks.

One thing that stands out to me is that both teams have 3rd lines that don't really fit the style of their coaches. I would expect a Tarasov team to have a more two-way third line than a crew of pure checkers. And I would expect a Babcock third line to be more defensive in nature.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Two nice teams with strong rosters; I agree with ImporterExporter that Les Braves is a sneaky good team; I do like the roster tweaks.

One thing that stands out to me is that both teams have 3rd lines that don't really fit the style of their coaches. I would expect a Tarasov two to have a more two-way third line than a crew of pure checkers. And I would expect a Babcock third line to be more defensive in nature.

Yeah, the 3rd line isn't a perfect match for Tarasov and the Braves certainly have an odd 3rd line for Babcock.

My focal point in that regard was countering some really strong F's in the division with defensive stalwarts who were well above the bar physically speaking. There are a lot of really strong offensive players who also happen to be supreme physical specimens (Howe, Trottier, Iginla to name a few). I quite like the offensive fit and firepower in the top 6 for Saskatoon so going with a stronger defensive unit on the 3rd line and a mixed bag on the 4th (especially when Loob is in there who really fits a Tarasov style attack IMO) made sense to me. Gould/Loob provide a nice contrast depending on match up and in this case I think the added defensive help is a bit more prudent for the Snipers. Bentley-Bentley is nothing to sneeze at, especially on the 2nd line.

Obviously I believe Saskatoon should prevail but zombies put together a really nice team here. In other divisions it would probably have ranked a bit higher.

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
My reasoning was the opposite, I went with a more two-way second line (when I had Nevin w Feds) so needed to add depth scoring with my bottom six, so I concentrated on two-way checkers and on even strength scorers for my fourth line.

A thought on Price - wouldn't it boost his rep if we didn't just look at his awards and AS finishes, but also looked at his advanced stats - which show him to be mostly elite in the years he didn't earn honors? And also look at the players in front of him to see the burden he faced (tho his adv numbers will show that too)? It bothers me that he's rated so poorly when he's the best goalie I've ever seen play at his peak - and that includes Hasek and Bob and whoever else.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad