Rene Bourque ??

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So question to Hab fans. I don't watch much Montreal games (unless they're playing the Pens), but I saw a trade proposal for Hemsky that got me wondering.

Hemsky for Bourque. Lots of Oilers slammed it, but I think for the wrong reason. In part because Bourque isn't playing as a 25g/50 point player any more. And if he was, they wouldn't be trading him. Heck he's barely a 15g, 25/40 pt player right now - which is why Montreal acquired him (offensive presence with some size in the top 6).

BUT... seeing how Edmonton lacks a ton of depth, and need some valid 3rd line options with some size... could he play an effective 3rd line role? Be reliable enough in his own end, fore check and bang bodies while perhaps putting up 12g/35+ pts?

I think he could play that role for Edmonton. Well a lot of teams really, but that contract isn't the best, so I think potential destinations would be limited. IF he could play that role, this would be a win/win for both teams. Gets Montreal out of the contract, while giving them a skilled winger up front, and gives Edmonton a 3rd line winger with some size.

yeah/no?

Last edited:

TorontoHabs90

Aug 9, 2006
Toronto
Yep, I'd say that is definitely the logic behind a potential Bourque/Hemsky deal.

I'm going to get torn apart for this, but personally, I am looking to be a bit patient with Bourque. Yes its frustrating to see (what it appears to be sometimes) laziness on the ice. I am just so obsessed with the notion of a player on the habs with size and the ability to put the puck in the net. When cammy got traded to CGY, the first thing I said to myself before I heard anything about the actual return was that I hoped Bourque was involved. My Flames fan buddy always loved him although I hadn't seen him play as much but I just knew he could score and he could be physical... All I'm hoping for is for him to snap out of it. DD has come a long way since his ordeal at the beginning of the season and I just feel like if you could get Bourque really flying he would be a complete asset come playoffs.

That being said... I don't hate the idea of Hemsky... I'd just love to see what the actual cost for him is

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
The Hemksky rumors are nothing but wind. This is exactly what they are:

A journalist from Edmonton wanting to write an article that would get a lot of attention due to Edmonton's horrible season.

It is what journalists do when they run out of material and when the team is doing bad. Trade rumors is the only subject that people want to hear about.

If the habs were interested in Hemsky we wouldn't hear a thing about it. The only way that habs could be interested in Hemsky and that rumor to find itself in the papers, is if that journalist made a random guess and it became true.

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Bourque...

CONS: very inconsistent during regular season (plays like a 1mil or 2mil forward).

PROS: big/tall...we need this in our top 6-9 (only Pacioretty and Eller are as big/tall)...Bourque plays like a 5mil/year forward during playoffs (well...he was one of our best last season VS Ottawa). He will be making 2.5mil/year in next two seasons...dirt cheap.

I'd keep Bourque and wait and see what he does for us in playoffs...I bet you he delivers again.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Both Rene Bourque and Ales Hemsky are not the players we need moving forward and are not winners. However if Edmonton offers Hemsky for Bourque I pull the trigger if I was Bergervin. Not because one of them is better but because Hemsky is a UFA. We will be freed of Bourque's salary. We could also turn around and trade Hemsky for a 5th round pick.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yep, I'd say that is definitely the logic behind a potential Bourque/Hemsky deal.

I'm going to get torn apart for this, but personally, I am looking to be a bit patient with Bourque. Yes its frustrating to see (what it appears to be sometimes) laziness on the ice. I am just so obsessed with the notion of a player on the habs with size and the ability to put the puck in the net. When cammy got traded to CGY, the first thing I said to myself before I heard anything about the actual return was that I hoped Bourque was involved. My Flames fan buddy always loved him although I hadn't seen him play as much but I just knew he could score and he could be physical... All I'm hoping for is for him to snap out of it. DD has come a long way since his ordeal at the beginning of the season and I just feel like if you could get Bourque really flying he would be a complete asset come playoffs.

That being said... I don't hate the idea of Hemsky... I'd just love to see what the actual cost for him is

you won't get torn apart from me. I don't get to see all the games but I guess I must get lucky and see all his good games, hahaha. Mind you there have been times where fans have torn him apart in a game where I really thought he wasn't that bad.

I always think there's just a lot of inherent hate towards Bourque because he can be so much better which is understandable.

Personally, I don't think he's that bad for his cap hit and the line he's on. Were just so desperate for size in our top 9 that I really don't like the idea of trading him 'right now'. He's been picking it up of late too. He could've been playing hurt because last year I thought he was fantastic for us. Especially in the playoffs.

And like I've said a million times, even with his inconsistencies he has more games where he actually stands out than our captain does.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Haven't seen Bourque string together 1/2 dozen good games in nearly 4 years, don't let the mirage fool you

Sell high, just promise to put the cap space to good use and not another Briere signing

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Haven't seen Bourque string together 1/2 dozen good games in nearly 4 years, don't let the mirage fool you

Sell high, just promise to put the cap space to good use and not another Briere signing

Man, you just reminded me of a thread right after the trade where I commented both on "buying/selling high" and whether or not Bourque would even still be here 4 years later. I think it was called "Is Montreal a better or worse team now?" or something. "Amazingly", the concerns about him being inconsistent, lazy at times, and weak between the ears turned out as accurate as some of us were suggesting they would back then.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I always think there's just a lot of inherent hate towards Bourque because he can be so much better which is understandable.
Pretty much this. He gets a disproportionate amount of hate because he's a frustrating player... we all know he should be better than he is. But he just hasn't found the consistency or any true chemistry anywhere in his tenure as a Hab.

I don't think he does anything to hurt us, even in his worst games... he's generally dependable up and down his wing at both ends... and he does seem to be more snakebitten than the average player with his scoring chances.. even going back to last year, I'd categorize him as one of our leaders in hit-posts or shots zinged just wide on quality scoring opportunities. When he's on his game, like he had been the last handful of games before the Olympic break, I don't think there's any question that he's an adequate 2nd or 3rd line player... he gets chances and adds a bit of physicality, while being generally decent defensively.

The problem with Bourque is that we can never get him to settle into that mode for long. He goes a stretch of games looking decent like that, then for whatever reason goes invisible for another stretch... sometimes he gets juggled off a line to cover for injuries or attempts to shake up other players, sometimes he gets hurt or sick, whatever it is, he goes cold.

It would be nice to think that maybe another team out there would think they could shake this inconsistency from him or find the right way to keep him productive and motivated... but I wonder if anybody really believes that's possible anymore? We certainly don't in Montreal.

Just because he's essentially "adquate filler" for us even in his slump periods, I wouldn't go out of my way to trade him - that is, I wouldn't trade him at negative value. But I would cheerfully take a 5th round pick or another non-ideal player who is heading to UFAdom like Hemsky, just to get the opportunity to try something different for next season. Bourque doesn't hurt us... but we need somebody who will actually actively help us get better. Freeing up his roster spot would at least provide an opportunity for that.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Hemsky has supreme skill but is made of glass. According to Michel Therrien, the Habs aren't puck possession team but rather a grinding team now, and they've been playing dump & chase for awhile. I'd like Hemsky but I don't think he'd really fit here, he wouldn't be able to handle the grind in Montreal imo.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
So question to Hab fans. I don't watch much Montreal games (unless they're playing the Pens), but I saw a trade proposal for Hemsky that got me wondering.

Hemsky for Bourque. Lots of Oilers slammed it, but I think for the wrong reason. In part because Bourque isn't playing as a 25g/50 point player any more. And if he was, they wouldn't be trading him. Heck he's barely a 15g, 25/40 pt player right now - which is why Montreal acquired him (offensive presence with some size in the top 6).

BUT... seeing how Edmonton lacks a ton of depth, and need some valid 3rd line options with some size... could he play an effective 3rd line role? Be reliable enough in his own end, fore check and bang bodies while perhaps putting up 12g/35+ pts?

I think he could play that role for Edmonton. Well a lot of teams really, but that contract isn't the best, so I think potential destinations would be limited. IF he could play that role, this would be a win/win for both teams. Gets Montreal out of the contract, while giving them a skilled winger up front, and gives Edmonton a 3rd line winger with some size.

yeah/no?

Concussed as ****, finished.

Habs should have known this, but Calgary will not be appreciated in the Habs front office for dealing in bad faith. It will affect Calgary going forward. Word gets round when you rip someone off and lie about a player's condition that cannot be evaluated easily.

End of discussion.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Is there any truth to the rumor that Bourque is playing Olympic Hockey for the Independent Olympic team?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
There's no upside to Rene Bourque. What you're getting is a contract and a spot in the lineup and that's the only thing you can say about Rene Bourque.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Is there any truth to the rumor that Bourque is playing Olympic Hockey for the Independent Olympic team?

Lol I'd like to know where you heard that, there is no Independant Olympic hockey team and Prust is enjoying vacations down south with Prust, Marie-Pier Morin, Parros and his wife.

BgerQrxIAAAZ9ay.jpg

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Lol I'd like to know where you heard that, there is no Independant Olympic hockey team and Prust is enjoying vacations down south with Prust, Marie-Pier Morin, Parros and his wife.

I know.:D

I just saw that designation of Independent Olympic Team during the opening of the Games. Something about India's athletes trying to participate.

They could have used Bourque if they had a hockey team.:sarcasm:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I know.:D

I just saw that designation of Independent Olympic Team during the opening of the Games. Something about India's athletes trying to participate.

They could have used Bourque if they had a hockey team.:sarcasm:

Yeah on second this totally makes sense, given that Bourque is partly Indian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad