Kevin Lowe - Ray Bourque "C"
Brian Leetch "A" - Carl Brewer
Robert Svehla - Darryl Sydor
François Beauchemin

Tim Thomas
Jean-Sebastian Giguere

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Not much action here, but I wanted to talk about the the partnership of the midfielders on my second unit. I think Taylor's a pretty well-known commodity at this point, but I was happy to select Harmon as late as I did.

Harmon's AST record is good for a second pair guy. It stands at 3, 4, 8 and a merited ASG appearance in 1950 when we have limited AST information. Harmon's 4th place was during 1945 and earned under a system that weighted votes to make all markets have the same voting power despite the number of writers voting. So if we could votes, Harmon's finish that year is 8th place.

A record of 3, 8, 8, ? still gets the job done for a #4. Consider some others

Schoenfeld: 4, 9, 10, 11, 13
Numminen: 6, 10, 12, 13
Harper: 6, 7, 9, 10, 13, 13
Baun: 5, 8, 9, 11
Bergman: 8, 8, 8, 10, 11

More importantly, Harmon's skillset makes him an ideal midfielder. He was a very fast skater who was strong in the transition game. Here are a few quotes from his bio highlighting this:
Windsor Daily Star - 2/23/1943 said:
...Jack (Adams) said: "You can say that again. That boy Glen Harmon has put plenty of life into them....He's travelling all the time. He's got speed to burn. He clears pretty well, is shifty, and seems to give the team more pep than they ever had early on in the season.
"Before he came up, Canadiens' big fault was getting the puck out of their own end. They don't have that trouble now, and from what I've seen Harmon has been the man to remedy that fault." (said Mowers)
The Montreal Gazette – 3/25/1947 said:
They have one of the most mobile rearguards in the game in Glen Harmon, an underrated player who moves fast enough to cover up his mistakes and even those of his teammates, and if there is a defenceman in the league who can come out of his own end-zone with the puck faster than Glen, then we haven’t seen him.
Additionally, we have evidence over a number of years that Harmon could fill in up front.
Montreal Gazette - 11/30/1943 said:
If they decide to play four defensemen, then Butch will be back at his blueline post again and Maurice Richard will be rested. Both Glen Harmon and Leo Lamoureux have played forward positions in the past, and they will be used to fill in the vacancy on the third line.
Montreal Gazette - 11/8/1945 said:
"That means we'll have to dress five defensemen this week end," Coach Dick Irvin said last night. "They will be Bouchard, Lamoureux, Harmon, McMahon and Reardon. Both Reardon and Harmon have played forward and can take a turn up front if necessary."
Montreal Gazette - 10/28/1947 said:
"I guess Dick (Irvin) will play Glen Harmon at left wing again in Chamberlain's place," Frank Selke said yesterday. "Glen is aggressive, a fast skater and a good shot and he's right at home in the position. He proved that on Sunday when he scored a pair of goals."
This last quote is particularly impressive. With Harmon's skillset and experience filling in up front, he makes for a strong choice to play Tarasov's midfield role.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Harmon's AST record is good for a second pair guy. It stands at 3, 4, 8 and a merited ASG appearance in 1950 when we have limited AST information. Harmon's 4th place was during 1945 and earned under a system that weighted votes to make all markets have the same voting power despite the number of writers voting. So if we could votes, Harmon's finish that year is 8th place.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that last part, but I think ~8th place finish by modern standards is a reasonable estimation of the value of Harmon's 2nd team AST selection in the 1944-45 season, both because of the funny voting system, and because of the war. You could probably pencil in his merited ASG appearance in 1950 as an ~11th place finish or somesuch (a "relevant" season without being among the league leaders).

So yeah, a voting record like 3, 8, 8, 11 holds up just fine for a #4, and for a puckmover, Harmon seems to have been solid defensively. I thought he was one of the better late round defenseman picks where you got him, and a good fit for your midfield. Interesting that Ken Reardon also apparently played some forward in Montréal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad