Removing Name From Jersey?

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
I was thinking of buying a jersey I saw on Ebay that has a name and number already sewn on. The number I want, the name I do not. The name is sewn on a "name plate". Is it possible to have that name plate removed and have a local place put a new one on with another name? Would it look "legit", as long as they found letters that matched the numbers? Anyone ever done this before? :help:

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
I was thinking of buying a jersey I saw on Ebay that has a name and number already sewn on. The number I want, the name I do not. The name is sewn on a "name plate". Is it possible to have that name plate removed and have a local place put a new one on with another name? Would it look "legit", as long as they found letters that matched the numbers? Anyone ever done this before? :help:
Should be fine, especially since it's on a nameplate. If the jersey is white there might be a little glue residue left on the jersey when you take the nameplate off but you'll be able to cover that up with a new nameplate. Just use a seam ripper and be real careful. It's not that hard to do though.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
Should be fine, especially since it's on a nameplate. If the jersey is white there might be a little glue residue left on the jersey when you take the nameplate off but you'll be able to cover that up with a new nameplate. Just use a seam ripper and be real careful. It's not that hard to do though.

Cool, thanks! :)

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
No problem! The fact that theres a nameplate makes the entire process much easier. I've taken names off jerseys with letters directly sewn and it was a pretty big hassle, though still easy to do. Just really tedious work. Hopefully yours comes out well!

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Pick up a stitch removal tool. Walmart or any place with a crafts section should have a sewing repair kit for pretty cheap. The tool allows you to lift and cut stitching from the top side of the stitch very easily. Once you do get some stitching released resist the urge to PULL the name plate to get the stitches to just break. You will end up ripping the jersey material. Lifting and gently pulling the plate to loosen the stitches to get at them to cut the thread isnt a problem.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Pick up a stitch removal tool. Walmart or any place with a crafts section should have a sewing repair kit for pretty cheap. The tool allows you to lift and cut stitching from the top side of the stitch very easily. Once you do get some stitching released resist the urge to PULL the name plate to get the stitches to just break. You will end up ripping the jersey material. Lifting and gently pulling the plate to loosen the stitches to get at them to cut the thread isnt a problem.

Well, unless he is a good seamstress, I recommend he takes it to your local dry cleaners. They would be able to remove the plate for him without making a hole in it if he was to do it. Been there, done that.

Once the plate is off, ask them if they can sew on a new name plate. Normally I would recommend taking it to the local jersey place or silk screener. There, they can silk screen a name on a plate for you to add to the jersey.

Or, again, if you are really good at sewing, then go for it.

Head coach

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
If you take it off yourself and you there is residue left over you can use GooGone to remove it. It works on most materials I've seen without discoloring it at all. Just apply it to a rag or paper towel then wipe the area till it comes off.

IrishSniper87

Jun 25, 2007
Media, PA
Hey guys, found this thread, and I want to ask a similar question.

I had a blank replica jersey customized at a hockey shop and I didn't realize it right away, but they messed up the shoulder numbers pretty bad It isn't even close to even.

richardsjersey2.jpg

richardsjersey1.jpg

As you can see, the numbers on the side are way off. If I had one side removed and lowered (it is all sewn), what can I expect of the finished product? Would it look really crappy where I had the number removed from? Or should I just leave it as is?

Thanks guys

pepe22

Jul 10, 2006
NJ
www.perchhockey.com
Theres no way of knowing until you actually take the numbers off. I'm guessing that jersey is fairly new obviously because it's RBK. There may not be all that much residue left over, most of the older jerseys people send me to strip are harder to do than newer ones but again theres no way of knowing until you actually do it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

I had a blank replica jersey customized at a hockey shop and I didn't realize it right away, but they messed up the shoulder numbers pretty bad It isn't even close to even.

[Images]

As you can see, the numbers on the side are way off. If I had one side removed and lowered (it is all sewn), what can I expect of the finished product? Would it look really crappy where I had the number removed from? Or should I just leave it as is?

Thanks guys

It's probably sewn and pressed. You could try, and use a goo gone type thing if there's residue, but I would advise against trying it yourself. I would try taking it back to the shop and asking if they can do anything about it. They're the ones responsible, they might be able to fix it for you.

captain9nyr

@captain9nyr
Feb 4, 2009
Hammonton, NJ
How difficult do you guys think it would be to remove the lettering from a jersey if the letters are sewn directly to the jersey?

I bought a Nigel Dawes from ProJerseys on eBay (fantastic people if you're looking for top notch jerseys by the way) and since he's moved on to Phoenix, I figure rather than have the thing gather dust, I can get Gaborik done on it.

The guys said they would do the name for me if I could get Dawes off. They are literally sewn right into the jersey.

Any tips/tricks? Is this worth my time?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

richardsjersey2.jpg

richardsjersey1.jpg

Thanks guys

Take it back and get it done right!
Why settle for something less than what you paid for!

Bumjoo Wang*

This question has come up in Sens land because many people are looking to remove HEATLEY from their jersey. I'm pretty sure all it takes is a bit of hard work and effort and the Heatley name will jump off the sweater and hide.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
This question has come up in Sens land because many people are looking to remove HEATLEY from their jersey. I'm pretty sure all it takes is a bit of hard work and effort and the Heatley name will jump off the sweater and hide.

Actually quite the opposite, there has been a surge on buying mannequins and Heatley jerseys to create voodoo dolls or Heatley Pinatas!

:laugh:

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
How difficult do you guys think it would be to remove the lettering from a jersey if the letters are sewn directly to the jersey?

I bought a Nigel Dawes from ProJerseys on eBay (fantastic people if you're looking for top notch jerseys by the way) and since he's moved on to Phoenix, I figure rather than have the thing gather dust, I can get Gaborik done on it.

The guys said they would do the name for me if I could get Dawes off. They are literally sewn right into the jersey.

Any tips/tricks? Is this worth my time?

Not difficult at all, maybe time consuming, but not difficult. Just get a seam-ripper from CVS or Duane Reade for about $4 and some Goo-Gone for any residue.

captain9nyr

@captain9nyr
Feb 4, 2009
Hammonton, NJ
Not difficult at all, maybe time consuming, but not difficult. Just get a seam-ripper from CVS or Duane Reade for about $4 and some Goo-Gone for any residue.

Update: I've started taking off the stitching. I've gotten the D completely unstitched, but the letters are not only stitched to the jersey, but also glued.

Any idea how I can get the glue unglued and get the letters off?

Scotty Hockey

Jan 6, 2006
Commack, NY
I have the same issue - got the sticking up with only one small snag, pulled the lettering off but there is still glue residue on the jersey itself. How do I clean that off? I tried a paper towel with goo be gone but it just made everything smell citrus'ey ...

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I have the same issue - got the sticking up with only one small snag, pulled the lettering off but there is still glue residue on the jersey itself. How do I clean that off? I tried a paper towel with goo be gone but it just made everything smell citrus'ey ...

GooGone will get it off, but yeah it smells like citrus. That's the CITRUS POWER!!

Wash it and it and let it hang dry.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Well, it's not what goo gone is intended for. It's intended more for glue on the back of stickers and such, not set glue that's hardened. It might eventually get it off, but it's made for cleaning up after you peel a price tag off and similar things.

Just try and peel them off, let the glue residue be and have a nameplate made that will cover the old name and have them put the letters on that.

And for future reference: Everything on an NHL jersey that is attached is at least heat pressed. Some will be sewn in addition, but there is NOTHING that is sewn with no glue.

Scotty Hockey

Jan 6, 2006
Commack, NY
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible so I was just going to get a few new letters heat-pressed on once I got the old glue off ...

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Just noticed were talking about washing Jerseys. Can you was a red jersey in the washing machine? I'm worried I'll turn everything white on it pink.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
i'd probably wash it by itself the first couple times if it's new - just in case.

i have a couple old red jerseys, and i just toss them in the wash with everything else - no problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad