Remembering 2002

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Watching Nashville and their fans makes me miss the days of 2002 and 2006. We didn't have any chants like the Predator fans do (or did we and I just missed it?) but the noise, the tailgating outside the arena which was something no one has ever seen before at the NHL level, the fans greeting the team at the airport.

Being stuck in mediocrity sucks.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
We didn't have any chants on the same level as the Nashville fans, but we did successfully mock the Montreal "Ole" chant replacing it with "Irbe".

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For a 4th liner Kevyn Adams was a pretty fair goal scorer. In 2002 he had 9 goals in 77 games. During the Cup season, he potted 15 as the 4C.

Didn't he have 2 hat tricks during the cup season? Or am I mis-remembering.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I would chalk it up to Craig being frustrated from being one of the least skilled regular starters in Canes history. I think he made LaRose look like Gretzky.

He was a griity PKer but his finish was rough. I always liked Kevyn more.

Wasn't it Craig Adams who got into a fight with Brind'Amour in practice a couple years after the cup and then was promptly traded?

Ironically, IIRC, Kevyn Adams and Hedican got into it also.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Have always liked and will always like Craig Adams, even more so after hearing that story. It's probably that kind of can't-turn-it-off intensity was what kept him in the league for so many years despite being such a marginal talent. I'll take that guy on my team any day.

KAds, though, that dude had legitimate hockey skills. Could win faceoffs like a boss, great PKer, blocked shots and could skate too. He was the guy Tim Brent always wanted to be, but Brent was kind of a pansy.

Hockey Snark

Have always liked and will always like Craig Adams, even more so after hearing that story. It's probably that kind of can't-turn-it-off intensity was what kept him in the league for so many years despite being such a marginal talent. I'll take that guy on my team any day.

KAds, though, that dude had legitimate hockey skills. Could win faceoffs like a boss, great PKer, blocked shots and could skate too. He was the guy Tim Brent always wanted to be, but Brent was kind of a pansy.

Yeah, he definitely did not like the Devils or their fans apparently, which is not a bad quality to have as a Canes player at that time. But, still think he is a dbag based on my anecdotal experiences with him.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Didn't he have 2 hat tricks during the cup season? Or am I mis-remembering.

IIRC he almost had one against Toronto I think, but the 3rd goal was ruled offsides.

Does anyone remember Fox Sports South giving away John Deere Lawnmowers every time someone scored a hat trick? I seem to recall the only folks who actually did lived in the most random spots in the Carolinas. I mean, I remember Irmo, Anderson and Beaufort SC residents being winners which was kind of awesome because I didn't know people in SC even knew about the 'Canes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad