Remember when the Edmonton Oilers were not on ESPN's Power Rankings?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Yeah... a few seasons ago, for one week, Scott Burnside was so annoyed at the shoddiness of the Oilers' product on the ice that he intentionally had them placed out of the Power Rankings and replaced them with the best AHL club.

Sadly... that Ranking for Week 17 of that season was deleted from the website as soon as Week 18 came out, so ESPN immediately decided against letting that joke ever see the light of day again.

I wanted to know if any of you remember that, and as a Hurricanes fan, I also feel your pain right now. Neither of the 2006 Stanley Cup Finalists have had any success since then.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
I don't recall that specifically, but if so, what a bush league piece of journalism. They deserved the ranking of 30 at the time (perhaps still?), but someone once told me kicking someone when they're down is bad karma

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If it weren't for the fact that ESPN often consults with LeBrun (and it appears Bobby Mac now on their telecasts), I would consider them to have zero relevancy. Burnside? Could care less. It would be different if we were the first team to tank/ice an inferior roster for the purpose of landing a top pick, but there were teams that did it even more blatantly in the past, to the point they had to initiate a draft lottery (Daigle sweepstakes of 93). Does Burnside know this? Maybe not, which would explain why he works for ESPN.

End rant.

And no, I wasn't aware of this because I've never used ESPN as a source of info for hockey.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Yeah... a few seasons ago, for one week, Scott Burnside was so annoyed at the shoddiness of the Oilers' product on the ice that he intentionally had them placed out of the Power Rankings and replaced them with the best AHL club.

Sadly... that Ranking for Week 17 of that season was deleted from the website as soon as Week 18 came out, so ESPN immediately decided against letting that joke ever see the light of day again.

I wanted to know if any of you remember that, and as a Hurricanes fan, I also feel your pain right now. Neither of the 2006 Stanley Cup Finalists have had any success since then.

At least the Hurricanes made the playoffs in 2009 and advanced to the third round!

'Canes point totals since the 2006 Cup: 88, 92, 97, 80, 91, 82, 42 (72 prorated), 81

Oilers point totals since the 2006 Cup: 71, 88, 85, 62, 62, 74, 45 (77 prorated), 67

Regarding the Power Rankings, I don't remember that at all. I think it's pretty funny, though.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
ESPN's print team is actually pretty decent (except for Buccigross, who I can't stand). Burnside and LeBrun are both decent hockey journalists, and their affiliate site Grantland has some of the best sportswriting talent anywhere.

In all honesty, I prefer ESPN to the bland, biased coverage also known as TSN.

FlyingPhi

Jan 9, 2008
Playa Hermosa
ESPN's print team is actually pretty decent (except for Buccigross, who I can't stand). Burnside and LeBrun are both decent hockey journalists, and their affiliate site Grantland has some of the best sportswriting talent anywhere.

In all honesty, I prefer ESPN to the bland, biased coverage also known as TSN.

Agreed. I think it's far superior to TSN, especially with Grantland and the Insider content. That won't be a popular opinion here, because it's "American". For some reason, most of my fellow Canadians turn their nose up at anything American in origin. I mean, if people give both sites a fair chance, and they prefer TSN, that's cool. It is this disliking anything American because it is American that is so petty and lame.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed. I think it's far superior to TSN, especially with Grantland and the Insider content. That won't be a popular opinion here, because it's "American". For some reason, most of my fellow Canadians turn their nose up at anything American in origin. I mean, if people give both sites a fair chance, and they prefer TSN, that's cool. It is this disliking anything American because it is American that is so petty and lame.

Outside of hockey ESPN is far superior to TSN. I agree with you about people that automatically turn up their nose on American things. Most of my entertainment choices are American, that's the way it is.

I do like some of the Grantland stuff. Bill Simmons has really gotten a pretty big head recently. His suspension was deserved. He dared his bosses to discipline him? Of course they proved to him who the boss was. He made a very valid point about the relationship between ESPN and their relationship with the NFL. My guess is Simmons will leave ESPN when his contract expires next year.

The 538 blog stuff on Grantland is interesting, but kind of running out of steam. For election polling and predictions it is phenomenal. Not so much with what they try and do for pop culture.

As an Oiler fan I get almost as much coverage/quality coverage of my team on ESPN as on TSN. Unless I'm looking at CFL stuff or tennis, I don't have much reason to go to TSN.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad