Post-Game Talk: Remember to cancel your Oilers+ subscription.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I dont think it has much to do with favoritism.
I think its just that Vinny's size and reach is so unique to this defence that its hard to give up on him. There really isnt anyone that duplicates his strengths.
True. But I think in the modern NHL his absolutely awful ability to handle the puck is just a detriment… that and his skating ability. Like I don’t think he is a guy you can reliably dress in the playoffs. In a series he is far too easy to target and expose.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Attachments

• save.jpg
    save.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I dont think it has much to do with favoritism.
I think it’s just that Vinny's size and reach is so unique to this defence that it’s hard to give up on him. There really isnt anyone that duplicates his strengths.
Size and reach do not make a good defensemen as much as actually being a good defenseman does

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Size and reach do not make a good defensemen as much as actually being a good defenseman does
If the player knows how to use that effectively then he has an advantage over most defencemen.
If you have a bottom pairing dman who can effectively smother the opposition and eliminate scoring chances then thats a very valuable piece.
Now I am not advocating for Vinny to be given a spot on that basis but I understand the willingness to see if he can maximize his potential.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
If the player knows how to use that effectively then he has an advantage over most defencemen.
If you have a bottom pairing dman who can effectively smother the opposition and eliminate scoring chances then thats a very valuable piece.
Now I am not advocating for Vinny to be given a spot on that basis but I understand the willingness to see if he can maximize his potential.
Right now needs to work leg strengths and turns everyday. Needs to be able to accelerate faster. Worry about exact mechanics on closing gap later.
He is getting blown by around the defensive blue line.
Because of his strengths they likely give him every opportunity to work on this. It might take some time but these are solvable deficiences. Learning to handle the puck better and having a great first transition pass not so much. Desi will never have top 4 upside.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Right now needs to work leg strengths and turns everyday. Needs to be able to accelerate faster. Worry about exact mechanics on closing gap later.
He is getting blown by around the defensive blue line.
Because of his strengths they likely give him every opportunity to work on this. It might take some time but these are solvable deficiences. Learning to handle the puck better and having a great first transition pass not so much. Desi will never have top 4 upside.
His biggest problem is his age. He will be 28 this season.
The window is closing quickly so this shouldnt be a very long experiment IMO.
The team needs to figure this out this season.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad