Remaining free agents

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Hi! I couldn't find a thread about this, which seems really important at this Point. Feel free to merge in there already is one, that I missed.

Our defence is in dire need of defencemen that could handle both defence and offence. How about taking a chance on Pitkanen? 30 years old and with a history of concussions, could potentially come cheap? Pretty high upside and would make a great PP-blueline with #65.

Jovanovski has loads of experience, big hitter and good team player. 38 years old, probably his last season in the big Leagues. Would be make/improve the team short term?

Tallinder (who is now on a try-out with Toronto). He is clearly better than anyone we could put on the last pairing, and would come cheap.

And a couple of interesting forwards.

Penner? Big strong player that can create space for guys like Turris & MaCarthur?

Tootoo. Plays with 100% energy and when he doesn't "over-play", plays simple, with speed and tenacity, he is a player in Avery's mould, but without the bs.

Handzus. Okay, Ottawa doesn't really need Another center, but he is big and solid all over the ice. Both Zibanejad, Smith & Legwand can play wing.

Thoughts?

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Only ones I'd even be remotely interested in are Pitkanen and Penner and even with them I don't think it'd be worth it.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
penner on a PTO or league minimum makes a lot of sense

but with the way we are shaping our team, our youth needs to play so one of greening or condra will need to go in order to open up a spot

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I didnt even know Penner was out there. Kind of amazing we haven't had interest, considering we seem to always be rumoured to be looking at him via trade.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With 7 defencemen signed to one way contracts & Ceci & Claesson waiting in line, I doubt BM goes after a defenceman unless he trades one or two. I would give Penner a try-out & waive Condra to make room, if Penner looks like he can still skate.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'm pretty sure Pitkanen is still injured, and it might be career ending.

I'm down with giving a Penner a shot. He's a LW, so potentially he could replace Greening.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm pretty sure Pitkanen is still injured, and it might be career ending.

Pitkanen still can't even get his foot into a skate.
He's done, he's all but said so himself.

As for Penner, I'm all for giving him a shot. If we can somehow pawn off Greening onto some unsuspecting Florida based cat-themed team, he'd be an upgrade.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I didnt even know Penner was out there. Kind of amazing we haven't had interest, considering we seem to always be rumoured to be looking at him via trade.

One time we were actually interested, and then the rest has been an hfboards fantasy. People on here are obsessed with this guy for some reason

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Take Penner only if Hoffman busts ala Conacher. By then he will probably be taken though.

Penner-Legwand-Stone
Greening-Smith-Neil/Condra

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Pitkanen still can't even get his foot into a skate.
He's done, he's all but said so himself.

As for Penner, I'm all for giving him a shot. If we can somehow pawn off Greening onto some unsuspecting Florida based cat-themed team, he'd be an upgrade.

At this point I think we are better off with Greening then pancakes.

A lot has been said about Greening since he signed his contract and I fully expect him to prove all the naysayers wrong.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If we have limited flexibility in salary we shouldn't be putting it into below average FAs. All mentioned in the OP are not good enough contributors to justify taking up part of our budget.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Penner's the only 1 there that would interest me. Pitkanen would of at 1 time but at this point he's done like dinner.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
Penner would be good competition for Greening, and is probably a better choice for top 9 than Greening, but there isn't room for Penner if Lazar makes the team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
At this point I think we are better off with Greening then pancakes.

A lot has been said about Greening since he signed his contract and I fully expect him to prove all the naysayers wrong.

I agree, I would much rather have Penner replace Condra on the roster & sub him in for whoever isn't playing well.

Penner would be good competition for Greening, and is probably a better choice for top 9 than Greening, but there isn't room for Penner if Lazar makes the team.

IMO Lazar will be returned to junior, I just don't see any room for him on the roster unless there is a trade that sends at least two roster forwards to another team(s).

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
I agree, I would much rather have Penner replace Condra on the roster & sub him in for whoever isn't playing well.

IMO Lazar will be returned to junior, I just don't see any room for him on the roster unless there is a trade that sends at least two roster forwards to another team(s).

The question for management will be, what's better for Lazar, top line minutes and PP and PK against teenagers, or 12-13 minutes a game and some PK duties against men.

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Michalek Zibanejad Stone
Smith Legwand Chiasson
Greening/Hoffman Lazar Condra/Neil

Cowen Karlsson
Methot Wiercioch
Phillips Gryba
Borowiecki

Anderson
Lehner

Pageau and Ceci are waiver exempt.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The question for management will be, what's better for Lazar, top line minutes and PP and PK against teenagers, or 12-13 minutes a game and some PK duties against men.

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Michalek Zibanejad Stone
Smith Legwand Chiasson
Greening/Hoffman Lazar Condra/Neil

Cowen Karlsson
Methot Wiercioch
Phillips Gryba
Borowiecki

Anderson
Lehner

Pageau and Ceci are waiver exempt.

Just based on the numbers I don't see any room for him & after seeing him again in the rookie tournament my opinion remains that he should be sent back to junior. But I also agree that playing a lot of minutes in all situations would be better than limited minutes or sitting games out & not playing. Next yr they will have the option of sending him to Bingo to play top minutes against men to see how he fares. Too bad the AHL doesn't have an exceptional status exemption like there is in junior hockey for players who are too good for junior & not yet old enough for the AHL. If they are allowing 19 yr old European players to play in the AHL why wouldn't they allow an exceptional junior player play? I would think our Canadian junior players would be better suited to play in the AHL over European players who may not be used to the smaller ice surface & the tougher play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad