Release the Strachan

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
I don't understand why Dineen refuses to play him. Every time he's played for us I've been pretty impressed. He's sound positionally, physical and moves the puck up the ice reasonably well for a "stay at home" type of d-man

Honestly, the way he plays reminds me exactly of Jason Garrison, without the booming shot.

He's easily (EASILY!) a better defensman than Jovanovski. I can't even put into words how bad Jovo has been this season. He wasn't very good last season, but jesus christ....is he serious with some of these turnovers?

He's a better defensman than Ellerby, especially right now. I actually really like Ellerby, but he hasn't had a good start to the season.

I even think he's a better defensman than Weaver. Weaver is solid but doesn't have the physicality or move the puck well, at all.

Kuba has gotten a bit better the last few games and Kulikov, while hasn't been very good so far, we know the kind of hockey he can play and is easily a better player. But that's still no excuse to have Strachan on the bench.

I noticed Strachan was on the powerplay during opening night as well. I have no idea if he was on the ice when we actually scored a goal or not, but our powerplay looked smooth, crisp. It has looked terrible since. I'm definitely not trying to say he's a make-or-break player on the powerplay, but a guy who can keep the puck in the zone and move it around well is at least a contributor on a unit.

Let the guy play. I find it mind-boggling that he played Caruso over him in Montreal. WTF? Are we watching the same player? Did Strachan take a s**t in coach K's breakfast or something?

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Saying Jovo sucks is a little unfair. This whole team has been terrible.

With that said, Strachan looked good in the opener and like you said, has never made me yell at the tv so I don't see why it would hurt.

It's not like we can get much worse....

Panthers are Red

Why so sad?
Jun 27, 2011
By my computer
Last season I thought he was better than Jovanovski during the period he replaced Jovo due to his broken hand. Not really sure what difference playing Strachan will make to the team though, and I wouldn't want to specifically call Jovo out as I don't think he has done anything warrant it yet this season. Especially with the whole team being pretty dire. I was a bit surprised to see us choosing to play Caruso instead of Strachan the other night. Apparently it was because Dineen likes the simple game that Caruso plays.

(By the way I am liking the thread title)

Thunderheart

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Strachan

Last season I thought he was better than Jovanovski during the period he replaced Jovo due to his broken hand. Not really sure what difference playing Strachan will make to the team though, and I wouldn't want to specifically call Jovo out as I don't think he has done anything warrant it yet this season. Especially with the whole team being pretty dire. I was a bit surprised to see us choosing to play Caruso instead of Strachan the other night. Apparently it was because Dineen likes the simple game that Caruso plays.

(By the way I am liking the thread title)

Have to agree....
Thunderheart

Jan 19, 2006
Best... title thread name... ever... :laugh:

I think Dineen should just give him more ice time based on that alone...

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
One thing I like about strachan is that most of the time he does not "pass the puck trouble to another player" he tries to move outta of the zone or make the smart play. Like how other posters mentioned, He reminds me a bit of a young garrison sort of learning and building his confidence.

If he worked on his shot he would be great no doubt. I think we deserves a resigning at a good length if he keeps that play up.

One thing that strikes me is that he has great poise with the puck, hes not rushed or panicking. I like when he plays his game, he seems to have confidence.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
Ellerby is better. Dineen agrees.

Ellerby is pretty good, but I honestly don't think he has the mental game for it. Does not work well with pressure. *Him running into the boards at full speed trying to get neil was too hilarious, felt bad for the guy) I like that he is playing more minutes though as I feel he has the tools to become a good d-man.

Strachan though, is more seasoned and poised then ellerby has ever played in the NHL. I wish he was in more regularly for us.

Honestly I love the jovo signing (not the amount or length I admit) just because he can retire as a panther. Tallon signed jovo not only for leadership but to build our hockey culture once he's in the Den. Building credibility is as important as drafting IMO, especially for non-hockey markets like Florida.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I think Ellerby gets more playing time because they need to evaluate Ellerby to see what they want to do with him. I think the difference between the two is negligible. Strachan should play more. I'd rather Parros get scratched and go with 7 dmen.

Panthers are Red

Why so sad?
Jun 27, 2011
By my computer
Don't think going with 7 dmen is a good idea. I think Ellerby has been doing quite well this year. Didn't he come away with the puck when he went hard into the boards? Or am I remembering it wrong?

CoolburnIsGone

Its important to wait to release the Strachan at the right time. We've just got to be a little more patient IMO until the time comes. Remember what was said in the Weiss thread by Bob McKenzie (by week 4 we'll know whats real & and whats not). If we're not at least competing by then, I could see guys moved out at some point this season and then he'll be given a chance.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Ellerby is pretty good, but I honestly don't think he has the mental game for it. Does not work well with pressure. *Him running into the boards at full speed trying to get neil was too hilarious, felt bad for the guy) I like that he is playing more minutes though as I feel he has the tools to become a good d-man.

Strachan though, is more seasoned and poised then ellerby has ever played in the NHL. I wish he was in more regularly for us.

Honestly I love the jovo signing (not the amount or length I admit) just because he can retire as a panther. Tallon signed jovo not only for leadership but to build our hockey culture once he's in the Den. Building credibility is as important as drafting IMO, especially for non-hockey markets like Florida.

It's not fair to play Ellerby for a few games and then yank him and say he doesn't have the mental game for it. He's a young defenseman and has to be given the chance. He needs experience. He's played well this season and deserves to stay in over Strachan(who wasn't that impressive against Carolina)and Weaver. Obviously Jovo, being the captain, has to play.

Ellerby is a far better skater than Strachan, is better at getting the puck out of his own end, and is a much better passer. Patience with him will pay off.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
I don't think we should yank Ellerby at all, but I still don't feel comfortable with him in the back. I think he needs minutes to flourish no doubt.

Like I said, I hope he gets more minutes and starts working on his game.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
It's not fair to play Ellerby for a few games and then yank him and say he doesn't have the mental game for it. He's a young defenseman and has to be given the chance. He needs experience. He's played well this season and deserves to stay in over Strachan(who wasn't that impressive against Carolina)and Weaver. Obviously Jovo, being the captain, has to play.

Ellerby is a far better skater than Strachan, is better at getting the puck out of his own end, and is a much better passer. Patience with him will pay off.
I agree. We need ot let Ellerby play. He's got most of all the tools to be a solid d-man. It's all about confidence for him at this point.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I like someone's reaction to not playing Strachan on Twitter by saying "Did he forget Dineen's birthday or something?" I don't personally understand it either. As much as I want Ellerby to do well and prove that he deserves a spot on this team, I'm not seeing it so far this season. I just can't see how Strachan would do any worse of a job. I was quite impressed with his defensive play last season and thought he deserved a one-way deal. I hope he plays tomorrow, finally.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Strachen looks very defensively mentally slow. Physically he's all there, but he takes too long to make decisions with the puck.

In fact, that's much like Jovo. Surprisingly, Jovo appears in my eyes to be pretty quick still and physically with it. He's just losing a bit of his edge.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
bump

i may get some flack for saying this, but i'm starting to think Strachan our second best defensman after Campbell. every time i see him play i'm so impressed with his patience/poise with the puck on his stick, waiting for seams to open up and make a tape-to-tape pass instead of banking it off the boards. makes it so much easier to get the puck out of the zone, thru the neutral zone and create on offensive attack.

Kulikov's play has improved, so he may have something to say about that, but man, Strachan is impressing the hell out of me.

Weaver's been awful this year, as has Jovo. I don't see how Dineen can scratch this guy anymore even when everyone is healthy and Gudbranson is up.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
bump

i may get some flack for saying this, but i'm starting to think Strachan our second best defensman after Campbell. every time i see him play i'm so impressed with his patience/poise with the puck on his stick, waiting for seams to open up and make a tape-to-tape pass instead of banking it off the boards. makes it so much easier to get the puck out of the zone, thru the neutral zone and create on offensive attack.

Kulikov's play has improved, so he may have something to say about that, but man, Strachan is impressing the hell out of me.

Weaver's been awful this year, as has Jovo. I don't see how Dineen can scratch this guy anymore even when everyone is healthy and Gudbranson is up.

Something I've been trying to preach, the guy doesn't try to push the puck problem to another forward and or dman.. he either skates up.. joins the rush or makes smart passing plays..

Very underrated. Hope he gets resigned.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
bump

+1...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad