Reinstatement of Slava Voynov UPD: suspended for 19-20 season; Arb credits 41 games to suspension

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Got it. Who gets to judge the severity of the offence whether a person should be banished? Is there a cheat sheet for this scaring for life that you use?

The owner and management of the teams who could sign him get to decide that. These are privately owned teams, they don't have to offer a guy a job just because he is skilled at it. That said, they still may.

And yes, he is a jerk for doing what he did, and no, he doesn't deserve a pass for it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm interested to see how this plays out from a CBA/Bylaws perspective. Per the CBA definition of Trade:

"Trade" means the transfer, other than as a result of a claim by Waivers, from one Club's Reserve List or Free Agent List to another Club's Reserve List or Free Agent List of a
Player's SPC, the rights to a Player (including his SPC, if applicable) on such Club's Reserve List or Free Agent List, and/or the rights to a draft choice in the Entry Draft.

- Voyonv is not on LA's Reserve List or Free Agent List. He's on LA's Voluntarily Retired List. The rights LA hold to him are not part of the CBA, but something completely different spelled out in ByLaw 8.

- I haven't combed through the ByLaws to see if there's any trade language in there that covers trading the rights to players on the Voluntarily Retired List.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
Screenshot_20180621_101721.jpg
So his wife called the police over an accident?? Absurd.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The only way I could see a team signing him would be if they were absolutely desperate for a defenseman. The PR backlash from fans of that team and every other team would be too intense if it were a regular free agent signing. He will and should be booed mercilessly in every NHL arena he plays in for the rest of his career.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The only way I could see a team signing him would be if they were absolutely desperate for a defenseman. The PR backlash from fans of that team and every other team would be too intense if it were a regular free agent signing. He will and should be booed mercilessly in every NHL arena he plays in for the rest of his career.

This is the NHL. It's pathetic, but you know someone is going to sign him.

This is the same league that runs Subban and Hamilton out of town for donating to children's hospitals, visiting sick kids, reading books and visiting museums. Apparently that's bad character.

Domestic abuse? Not a deal-breaker for the NHL.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
This is the NHL. It's pathetic, but you know someone is going to sign him.

This is the same league that runs Subban and Hamilton out of town for donating to children's hospitals, visiting sick kids, reading books and visiting museums. Apparently that's bad character.

Domestic abuse? Not a deal-breaker for the NHL.

Neither is the following:

Breaking a guys neck on the ice (Bertuzzi)
Recklessly killing a guy in a car accident (Heatley)
Drunk driving and killing someone (Mactavish)

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Based on the numbers theres a good chance each team has at least 1 player that is physically abusive to their spouse. the deserves to be punished and I understand why one would be upset that their team went out of their way to sign a outed abuser of women, but the "id never forgive my franchise" mantra is a bit laughable

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I have volunteered at a battered woman shelter. A reinstatement won't ever be OK with me.

The question is how many STH and (single ticket) fans will boycott games (actually turning tickets in and getting refunds). There are always fans who don't like what a team does; how many will follow through.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The question is how many STH and (single ticket) fans will boycott games (actually turning tickets in and getting refunds). There are always fans who don't like what a team does; how many will follow through.

I've said this elsewhere, but I would not purchase tickets, gear, or the Center Ice package I require to follow my team if they signed him. I would switch to my second favorite for the duration of his deal, and that's that. It's be drops in the bucket, and I'd hate every second of it, but that's what it is.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Shannon's follow up tweet mentioned that the NHL/NHLPA/Voynov's agent are continuing to talk. Voynov has not been cleared in the sense that they're still talking about it and no decision has been made, not that the NHL has already decided not to reinstate him. Shannon's original tweet was in reference to the report out of Russia saying that Voynov had been cleared.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I've said this elsewhere, but I would not purchase tickets, gear, or the Center Ice package I require to follow my team if they signed him. I would switch to my second favorite for the duration of his deal, and that's that. It's be drops in the bucket, and I'd hate every second of it, but that's what it is.

Funny thing about these types of boycotts, people rarely stick to them and if they don't it's so inconsequential to the NHL. I'd practically guarantee if your team signed him, by December you'd be back to normal. People threatened boycotts after the lockout, after Bertuzzi's hit, after the Gelinas no-goal, and the NHL is still going. Remember ALLLL those fans (it was only a few vocal people on social media) that would boycott the Astros after the Osuna trade? They're not only still on a record pace for tv and radio, but their ratings have gone up from what the high 3's they were getting before the trade.

^ from today
On TV/Radio: Astros ratings remain at record pace
^ from before the trade

Reactions: Aeroforce

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
People threatened boycotts after the lockout, after Bertuzzi's hit, after the Gelinas no-goal, and the NHL is still going.
Some of those people did not come back. If the NHL didn't make actual improvements to make the game more open/exciting after losing a whole season, who knows where we would be right now.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Sounds like he won't play this upcoming season.

I don’t read anything into that statement other then Voynov hasn’t gone through the NHL discipline process yet. Is he going to or not this season is probably the biggest question, and likely up to Voynov if his visa situation is resolved.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Given that Watson received 27 game suspension for domestic abuse, guessing that Voynov would get at least that much, should he be cleared to return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad