Value of: Reinhart offer sheet

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
They all told me I'd regret the offer sheet threads when Buffalo's guys became eligible, but here we are, let's do it.

Sam Reinhart has had a pretty steadily inflating stat line, but if his real value was what he did down the last half of last season, he might be ready to break out into a game changer (nearly PPG over the latter half). Drafted as a center, he's been pushed to right wing because of ROR, Eichel, and his own lack of faceoff prowess. Otherwise, his skillset as a distributor might be well utilized by a team that can put him at center with better wingers than he got in the brief stints they tried him with AHLers in Buffalo. An interesting potential buy low candidate, but his floor seems to be at least 50 point RW who is very smart, makes his linemates better, and is a good net front presence despite being not physically imposing. His speed and shot aren't elite, but he's shown his production didn't need it.

All these teams looking for young scorers, what kinds of offers will Buffalo have to contend with?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I doubt he’ll receive any offers.

Reinhart will command in the range of $2M-$4M per, compensation is a 2nd Round Pick which the Sabres will almost definitely match.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I doubt he’ll receive any offers.

Reinhart will command in the range of $2M-$4M per, compensation is a 2nd Round Pick which the Sabres will almost definitely match.

Then off him 4 years/5M a year. That way Buffalo would have to think about it(ie that's a first round pick and a third, plus this contract takes him right to UFA)

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Then off him 4 years/5M a year. That way Buffalo would have to think about it(ie that's a first round pick and a third, plus this contract takes him right to UFA)
I don't think Buffalo has to think about that at all, you match the offersheet and keep your good young player. A 1st and a 3rd are very unlikely to a yield a player as good as Reinhart.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I don't think Buffalo has to think about that at all, you match the offersheet and keep your good young player. A 1st and a 3rd are very unlikely to a yield a player as good as Reinhart.

Reinhart is not worth $5M per + compensation on the hope he develops. Unless he’s traded, can’t see him going anywhere.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Reinhart is not worth $5M per + compensation on the hope he develops. Unless he’s traded, can’t see him going anywhere.
If I were a playoff caliber team with the cap space I'd give Reinhart that deal without hesitation. A late 1st and 3rd aren't very significant. It's an overpayment in $ based on what he's accomplished to this point, but I'll gladly give more money to a 22 year old with a high ceiling and floor over an older UFA that'll want more money and term that usually takes them into declining years.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If I were a playoff caliber team with the cap space I'd give Reinhart that deal without hesitation. A late 1st and 3rd aren't very significant. It's an overpayment in $ based on what he's accomplished to this point, but I'll gladly give more money to a 22 year old with a high ceiling and floor over an older UFA that'll want more money and term that usually takes them into declining years.

I agree. You look at what Kane got, then guys like JVR, Neal, all these players this offseason are likely to get 6-7 million per on a long term deal. I would way rather pay Reinhart 6 million on 8 years.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Parf of using an offer sheet(If GMs had the balls to do it) is hitting a team with cap issues so they can't match or at least have to make tough decisions. A "fair value" offer sheet to a team with cap space isn't going to accomplish anything.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Parf of using an offer sheet(If GMs had the balls to do it) is hitting a team with cap issues so they can't match or at least have to make tough decisions. A "fair value" offer sheet to a team with cap space isn't going to accomplish anything.

It really depends on how much a team values a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad