Reinhart n Eichel just like what past Sabres

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Reinhart reminds me of a improved Chris Drury.a player that can do it all.intelligent and unselfish.
Eichel reminds me of the great #11.except a bit stronger and feistier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't think Eichel has a Sabre comparable

Reinhart? Kind of a mix of LaLa and Drury. Patty's vision/passing, Drury's defensive acumen. With a little work, Reinhart and Drury's skating should be roughly equivalent.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hoping for Hawerchuk and LaFontaine. :)

That would be a dream - but stylistically, it seems that a McDavid-Reinhart duo would resemble Pat and Ducky more. McDavid's short, choppy skating stride and acceleration from a dime reminds me a lot of Pat's skating style, even though Pat was a smaller player - and both are electrifying skaters. And, just like Hawerchuk was more renowned for his vision and passing ability than his skating, Reinhart seems destined to have the same reputation.

I don't think Eichel has a Sabre comparable.

I agree - the closest in terms of stature alone, Eichel has the size, physicality and reach like Chris Gratton did but obviously, in terms of talent, leadership potential, skating and playmaking, Eichel appears to be far superior to what Gratton had. Eichel also is a much better defensive player than Gratton was.

Just like he did so often on Hockey Hotline with Gratton, I can see Roby digging out his "albatross" analogy to describe Eichel's reach and ability to fend players off while stickhandling.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Idk if they're really comparable to any players in the history of the franchise. If I had to guess I would say that Reinhart could potentially be a better version of Drury..bigger, smarter, very unselfish, team first and leader, perhaps even a shutdown center. And I'd say that Eichel is probably a bigger stronger version of the legendary #11.

Basically I compared them to two players (kinda) except I truly believe that if they both reach their ceilings they could be better in different aspects.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I don't think Eichel has a Sabre comparable

Reinhart? Kind of a mix of LaLa and Drury. Patty's vision/passing, Drury's defensive acumen. With a little work, Reinhart and Drury's skating should be roughly equivalent.

Eichel gives me a "MechaGilmore" vibe sometimes.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Eichel reminds me of Nobody. And that's the sticking point when it comes to a term like generational talent. If I can't easily pin point someone he resembles, like "oh yeah, he's got Fedorov written all over him", to me that's a good sign.

What we want is years from now, all the young potential superstars coming out of the draft will try to be compared to McDavid and Eichel, and who they best resemble.

PopeInTheWoods

Asset Overvaluer
Feb 5, 2015
Rochester NY USA
Idk if they're really comparable to any players in the history of the franchise. If I had to guess I would say that Reinhart could potentially be a better version of Drury..bigger, smarter, very unselfish, team first and leader, perhaps even a shutdown center. And I'd say that Eichel is probably a bigger stronger version of the legendary #11.

Basically I compared them to two players (kinda) except I truly believe that if they both reach their ceilings they could be better in different aspects.

Compared to their respective contemporaries, Perreault and Eichel are probably about the same amount of "bigger and stronger" than the typical NHL player of their eras. Plus both were/are highly touted for their skating and playmaking abilities.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Eichel reminds me more of Mogilny than LaFontaine, largely because of the power in his legs. Mogilny's size and strength get forgotten a bit because of his speed and talent. In the most general sense Perreault is the best comparison, but it's ironic as I've seen many on this site compare McDavid to Perreault, quite validly I think.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Eichel reminds me more of Mogilny than LaFontaine, largely because of the power in his legs. Mogilny's size and strength get forgotten a bit because of his speed and talent. In the most general sense Perreault is the best comparison, but it's ironic as I've seen many on this site compare McDavid to Perreault, quite validly I think.

Mogilny had no size or strength to his game at all, he was all speed. Eichel doesn't remind me one bit of Mogilny, not even close man. Mogilny was like a much better version of Afinogenov. The only Sabre that even remotely reminds me of Eichel is like a much faster version of Andreychuk.

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
I keep hearing(on here and WGR) trade proposals with Reinhart and to me he's on my no trade list, unless it's a massive overpayment.. Why is so many people ok with trading him away?

What I want to trade for is exactly what we have(at least in the center position).. I'm sooo pumped thinking about Eichel-Reinhart as a 1-2 punch for the next decade+, especially with them being great 2 way players.. Anybody else hear these Reinhart trade proposals and think have people gone mad?

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Mogilny had no size or strength to his game at all, he was all speed. Eichel doesn't remind me one bit of Mogilny, not even close man. Mogilny was like a much better version of Afinogenov. The only Sabre that even remotely reminds me of Eichel is like a much faster version of Andreychuk.

Mogilny had very strong legs. He had good size for his era, something like 6'0"-6'1" and 200-205ish. His all-around game is insulted by comparing it to Afinogenov. Max had no ability to seal off players while Alexander did. Mogilny had vision and hockey sense. I don't really see any similarities between Andreychuk and Eichel. Andreychuk was bigger than Eichel in a smaller league, slow, and not nearly as skilled in most areas.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Mogilny had very strong legs. He had good size for his era, something like 6'0"-6'1" and 200-205ish. His all-around game is insulted by comparing it to Afinogenov. Max had no ability to seal off players while Alexander did. Mogilny had vision and hockey sense. I don't really see any similarities between Andreychuk and Eichel. Andreychuk was bigger than Eichel in a smaller league, slow, and not nearly as skilled in most areas.

Yes. Eichel is going to be one of the fastest and most skilled Sabres the organization has ever had. That gets lost on many because he has good size and strength too.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
BTW I'm not saying Mogilny is my comparison, just that when I see people mention LaFontaine, I actually see his running mate Mogilny a bit more. Perreault, Mogilny, LaFontaine... they all differ from him too much but they have the big play ability and skill.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005

I didn't say Mogilny was small, I said he didn't play with any size or strength to his game, which is absolutely 100% true.

You forget how skilled Andreychuk was, he put up 640 goals. His hands were fantastic and his shot was top notch, plus he could shield away players and get in perfect position ... skills that Eichel is very good at as well.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
I keep hearing(on here and WGR) trade proposals with Reinhart and to me he's on my no trade list, unless it's a massive overpayment.. Why is so many people ok with trading him away?

Well, if you think of it this way, Reinhart does have his question marks. He's got what appears to be elite hockey sense and can play an exceptional 200-ft game, but at the same time, he doesn't have great size, great skating ability, or a great shot. He's not projected to be the complete package that Eichel is hyped as.

Having said that, Reinhart has tremendous value. I don't think people are looking to move him for the sake of moving him, but he shouldn't be completely untouchable if a deal exists such that it benefits the team overall. What that hypothetical deal would have to be, is all subjective.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Eichel reminds me of Nobody. And that's the sticking point when it comes to a term like generational talent. If I can't easily pin point someone he resembles, like "oh yeah, he's got Fedorov written all over him", to me that's a good sign.

What we want is years from now, all the young potential superstars coming out of the draft will try to be compared to McDavid and Eichel, and who they best resemble.

I apologize for interrupting your thread...Mike Madano

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I didn't say Mogilny was small, I said he didn't play with any size or strength to his game, which is absolutely 100% true.

You forget how skilled Andreychuk was, he put up 640 goals. His hands were fantastic and his shot was top notch, plus he could shield away players and get in perfect position ... skills that Eichel is very good at as well.

Fair enough. I agree Andreychuk is more skilled than many remember him, especially because of how he really became a role player for a lengthy period at the end of his career. Still, he was never near the dynamic player Eichel is. Take Brett Hull for example. He was very skilled and had incredible hockey sense, but he wasn't the least bit dynamic. Eichel's skating isn't quite like Mogilny's with that incredible agility, but in Sabres history there are only a few players who have that combination of puck protection, skating, skill and hockey sense, with Mogilny being one of them. LaFontaine and Perreault are the others who come to mind.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Fair enough. I agree Andreychuk is more skilled than many remember him, especially because of how he really became a role player for a lengthy period at the end of his career. Still, he was never near the dynamic player Eichel is. Take Brett Hull for example. He was very skilled and had incredible hockey sense, but he wasn't the least bit dynamic. Eichel's skating isn't quite like Mogilny's with that incredible agility, but in Sabres history there are only a few players who have that combination of puck protection, skating, skill and hockey sense, with Mogilny being one of them. LaFontaine and Perreault are the others who come to mind.

Hawerchuk too. Though not as big as Eichel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad