Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith traded to Pittsburgh for 2024 3rd

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
This hurts bro... :confused:

NfeUEos.jpg

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Teams that don't make moves get stale. Smith was always one of my favorites (I paid big bucks for one of his jerseys at themed night), but he is 32 and its a cap league and we really needed to sign Barbashev, who is 5 years younger and less easily replaced.

Like everyone else, Smith will always be a VGK original in my heart and I too hope he comes back in two years to finish his career here.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Teams that don't make moves get stale. Smith was always one of my favorites (I paid big bucks for one of his jerseys at themed night), but he is 32 and its a cap league and we really needed to sign Barbashev, who is 5 years younger and less easily replaced.

Like everyone else, Smith will always be a VGK original in my heart and I too hope he comes back in two years to finish his career here.
Have loved Smitty and agree with every word.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I do feel this way mostly and would agree 100% if we weren't about to sign our second best goalie to the entirety of what his remaining contract was.

KnightCap78

Aug 10, 2020
I would have rather signed Barbashev and the RFAs, kept Smith and gone cheaper backup goalie. I don't think keeping Hill over Smith when we already have Thompson is the better move.
I thought the same thing at first, then remembered how i felt when Fleury and Patches left. After delivering us the cup i figure i will give management the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

Reactions: WhataKnight

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I thought the same thing at first, then remembered how i felt when Fleury and Patches left. After delivering us the cup i figure i will give management the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.
I was okay with Patches being given away, so hard to stay off IR. I am still bitter over signing Lehner and dumping Flower.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I'm definitely not mad at them, I just question whether this one will work out. They've had some moves that didn't and then we had to scramble out of them.

A two year deal isn't the most difficult to handle but the thing is, I think they may play him more games than they should to try to get that value from him regardless how clear it is Thompson is the better goalie. But we could also get a reliable tandem.

It pretty much guarantees Dorofeyev gets a good shot next year, but that may have happened anyway. I also worry about Karlsson's game away from Smith. I mean, his whole career his best play has been with Smith, if he takes even a small step back without him we are worse off.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
This is why I don’t buy jerseys or shirts with any names on them. The player could be traded away the same day.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Pens fan lurking here to get the sense of how VGK fans think about the trade, but I just had to say excellent reference. Underrated movie. I quote it fairly regularly, but no one ever gets it :(

Ha - Four Rooms doesn’t get enough love.

I’m going miss Smith - take good care of the guy up there. Both for yourselves, and because it would be awesome if we could have him back in a few years.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
It pretty much guarantees Dorofeyev gets a good shot next year, but that may have happened anyway. I also worry about Karlsson's game away from Smith. I mean, his whole career his best play has been with Smith, if he takes even a small step back without him we are worse off.

That's what I worry about as well. I fear Wild Bill's game may fall off a cliff with this move, but hopefully he is better than I am giving him credit for.

Oh look, we just drafted a huge 2-way Swedish Center. :laugh:

Reactions: hangman005

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Ha - Four Rooms doesn’t get enough love.

I’m going miss Smith - take good care of the guy up there. Both for yourselves, and because it would be awesome if we could have him back in a few years.
Seems like he'll be a great complementary piece for the Pens stars and from what I've heard it looks like he's a great guy in the community and in the locker room as well. Always love getting players like that.

Reactions: WhataKnight

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Seems like he'll be a great complementary piece for the Pens stars and from what I've heard it looks like he's a great guy in the community and in the locker room as well. Always love getting players like that.
He's just a tremendous person. Great leader. Quiet, but a team first guy the whole way. We all know deep down we had to make this move, but he will be greatly missed.

I think he will work well for the Pens, as long as you aren't expecting immediate production. He seems like the kinda guy who takes some time to integrate with his linemates, but once he does, he's a great setup guy for a winger. And maybe playing with upgraded center talent will boost his goal scoring? Plus he is very underrated in his own zone.

He's just an all-around really solid hockey player. Not fancy, but gets the job done. I am sure there are no VGK fans who are happy to see him go (even if they are happy to see Barbie staying).

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
This is why I don’t buy jerseys or shirts with any names on them. The player could be traded away the same day.
When they don't make any more of them, the ones you have become more valuable.

KnightCap78

Aug 10, 2020
Yeah im wondering who is going to be the other anchor on Karlsson’s line. I think 71 is legit, but your right him and Smith had chemistry. I imagine the beginning of the season/preseason they will be feeling things out and we might drop some games until they find the right piece for that line.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yeah im wondering who is going to be the other anchor on Karlsson’s line. I think 71 is legit, but your right him and Smith had chemistry. I imagine the beginning of the season/preseason they will be feeling things out and we might drop some games until they find the right piece for that line.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Doro WB Wheeler as a 3rd line in camp, with Cotter and Amadio as extras.

Although it sounds weird putting Ammo in the pressbox after the playoffs he just had.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Doro WB Wheeler as a 3rd line in camp, with Cotter and Amadio as extras.

Although it sounds weird putting Ammo in the pressbox after the playoffs he just had.
Make me understand why Wheeler isnt an awful idea.....

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
Has he said anything yet? I looked at Pens twitter, website, etc. and can't find any comments from him. Been 4 days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad