Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith traded to Pittsburgh for 2024 3rd

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Damn I was really looking forward to a full year of Smith-Karlsson-Dorofeyev.

This has to mean they are set on keeping Barbashev, but why not just move Martinez instead?

Reactions: WhataKnight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Probably. If they let Hill walk definitely.

Knowing this front office watch them trade Martinez too and let Hill walk. 15m in space and they'll go after Matthews.

If Lehner is LTIR we have to spend to the cap too, at least at the start of the season.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So, in a way, we traded the last two years of Smith at 5m for 18 regular season and 5 playoff games of Blueger.

Reactions: hn777

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
This came out of nowhere. As long as they aren't giving Barby a ridiculous overpay over 8 years to stay then it's one of those necessary evil type trades. Hopefully this means that they already have something worked out. Trading Smith and Barby walking would be terrible business.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pens fan here to ask what side does Smith play? Seen some conflicting info.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Smith was such a part of the community too. He was definitely the leadership guy of the misfit group that remained so long, an A from the very beginning. He also stood up for us when people complained about Fleury and Pacioretty saying that every year is a contract year in Vegas.

He never threw a fit, jeopardized team success for his own personal anger, seemed to be bigger than the team, didn't try to sabotage a trade and didn't get too big a contract at an older age. There was just no drama with him, and of course he helped bring a Cup here, so this hits much harder than Fleury.

However, I do still hold on to hope that it's possible he can return in two years on a cheaper deal to finish his career as a bottom sixer here.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Smith was such a part of the community too. He was definitely the leadership guy of the misfit group that remained so long, an A from the very beginning. He also stood up for us when people complained about Fleury and Pacioretty saying that every year is a contract year in Vegas.

He never threw a fit, jeopardized team success for his own personal anger, seemed to be bigger than the team, didn't try to sabotage a trade and didn't get too big a contract at an older age. There was just no drama with him, and of course he helped bring a Cup here, so this hits much harder than Fleury.

However, I do still hold on to hope that it's possible he can return in two years on a cheaper deal to finish his career as a bottom sixer here.
Good points all. Guy is solid as solid can be on and off the ice. Would be awesome to see him finish here.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Me seeing Smith traded:

1687989746754.png

Me seeing Barbashev extension immediately after:

1687989850813.jpeg

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Considering Smith's style of play he could have 7-8 years left in the tank with the majority of those as a middle sixer

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I do wish McCrimmon sounded more like he gives a crap about any of the players. His responses are usually so impersonal and his tone is boredom.

I would have rather signed Barbashev and the RFAs, kept Smith and gone cheaper backup goalie. I don't think keeping Hill over Smith when we already have Thompson is the better move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad