Proposal: Reilly Smith for Kotkaniemi and a 3rd round pick

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see why the Penguins would agree to trade a 1 year contract coming off a poor year for a 6 year contract coming off a poor year, especially just to get a 3rd back.

I'd do Graves for Kotkaniemi but I figure Carolina would sooner buy him out than do that. That's at least 2 guys with term both coming off of down years being swapped.

Reactions: biturbo19

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Smith only has one year left and is a better player than Kotkaniemi. What are you smoking?

Penguins need to take home run swings if they want to "get younger".

Kotkaniemi's contract will be very insignificant in a few years and gives PIT a depth bottom six forward with potential.

I don't see why the Penguins would agree to trade a 1 year contract coming off a poor year for a 6 year contract coming off a poor year, especially just to get a 3rd back.

I'd do Graves for Kotkaniemi but I figure Carolina would sooner buy him out than do that. That's at least 2 guys with term both coming off of down years being swapped.

See above.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins need to take home run swings if they want to "get younger".

Kotkaniemi's contract will be very insignificant in a few years and gives PIT a depth bottom six forward with potential.

See above.

I mean, there is just as much of a risk as him going the Galchenyuk route and washing out of the NHL halfway through that deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's the risks PIt has to take if they want to acquire 23 and younger talen

You're not making even a remotely compelling case for this.

You're just saying "they have to take risks to get younger" while not acknowledging that the risk with Kotkaniemi is monstrous. If he washes out at 25 just like guys like Galchenyuk and Kapanen did, the Penguins are stuck with a $5 million anchor for like 4 years. And for what upside? To get a 3rd this year and maybe have him hit as a good middle-6 center if he pans out?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You're not making even a remotely compelling case for this.

You're just saying "they have to take risks to get younger" while not acknowledging that the risk with Kotkaniemi is monstrous. If he washes out at 25 just like guys like Galchenyuk and Kapanen did, the Penguins are stuck with a $5 million anchor for like 4 years. And for what upside? To get a 3rd this year and maybe have him hit as a good middle-6 center if he pans out?

5 million dollars in terms of cap is around 6% of the cap next year. If the cap continues to go up Kotkaniemi's contract will be insignificant.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
How about a 3rd and Smith @ 50% for Drury instead? This original deal doesn’t make a lot of sense for either.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Why would we pay to take on players for you?

I'd do Smith for Drury if you are trying to shave cap, but no adds.
Why are the third? Because drury is a decent young center rfa. Smith struggled in the system and is a winger. Got to bridge the value gap

Reactions: biturbo19

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How about a 3rd and Smith @ 50% for Drury instead? This original deal doesn’t make a lot of sense for either.

The only reason I'm slightly hesitant on this is that Drury was blocking Ponomarev last year according to Canes fans, so that may happen again in Pittsburgh if they get Drury.

But purely in terms of value, I don't have any issues with that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It’s risky but I’d probably do this. Kotkaniemi is still incredibly young and I’d take the bet that he’s not a finished product and has more room to develop.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd easily do this. He's much better than Emp is making him out to be.

Considering how good he was last season, i doubt he turned into a bum overnight.

4.8 mil long term for a decent young 3C is fine by me. I don't see why Carolina would want useless Smith, besides for dumping salary.

Smith out produced Drury significantly last season. No interest in bringing in someone like Drury if it costs.
Kind of ridiculous to compare Drury and Smiths stats without context.

This was Drury's first full season, He didn't get handed top 6 minutes all year next to an Evgeni Malkin either.

Drury would be a great add, looked good in the playoffs, young, and had a good stat line for a rookie. I'd drive Smith to the airport.

Reactions: Miller Time

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Drury needs a new contract, likely a bridge. Any word on what he is looking to get or what the ask is?

If he needs $3mil and we retain on Smith 50%, I'm sure Drury is worth "$5.5mil" to us which makes me lean more towards keeping Smith. But if was getting $3mil and we retained, say $1mil to make it even at $4mil, I'd be interested in that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Drury needs a new contract, likely a bridge. Any word on what he is looking to get or what the ask is?

If he needs $3mil and we retain on Smith 50%, I'm sure Drury is worth "$5.5mil" to us which makes me lean more towards keeping Smith. But if was getting $3mil and we retained, say $1mil to make it even at $4mil, I'd be interested in that.
Unless you’re going long term on a drury deal, I don’t see the first number starting in a 3. Maybe not even 2 million if give him a show me deal

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Unless you’re going long term on a drury deal, I don’t see the first number starting in a 3. Maybe not even 2 million if give him a show me deal
Really? Okay. Yeah, I mean if we could get a 3yr, $1.5mil per year deal, I'd do him for Smith @50%.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Let’s try to make it a 2nd since they screwed us on that 1st for Guentzel.
Or trade Smith for a pick and whatever that pick is, trade it for Drury. If we could get an early 3rd for Smith, I'd be okay giving the Pens 2nd for Drury

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Kind of ridiculous to compare Drury and Smiths stats without context.

This was Drury's first full season, He didn't get handed top 6 minutes all year next to an Evgeni Malkin either.

Drury would be a great add, looked good in the playoffs, young, and had a good stat line for a rookie. I'd drive Smith to the airport.

No interest. Unless it's Smith for Drury straight up.

You're not getting Drury on waivers, come on now.

This coming from a guy who is wanting to take on KK's contract for a 3rd...

He's the type of player that goes on waivers consistently.

KK is younger has already had a 40 point season, was a great piece in two playoff runs, and paced for 30+ in multiple seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad