Confirmed with Link: Reilly gets 5 games

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I'm not going to complain. They gave him a healthy enough amount. And Leafs fans are still mostly pissed about this.
I bet it would have been less if Mathews, Keefe, Reaves, Bell and Rogers hadn't done a full media blitz about how nothing happened. Bettman doesn't like the screws put to him. They will appeal, Bettman will support the descion then it goes to an independant arbitrator. Bettman will drag this out.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm glad that Morgan has some more time off to watch his favorite player Ridly Greig.

To think this all started because of an overzealous attempt at getting an autograph.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I bet it would have been less if Mathews, Keefe, Reaves, Bell and Rogers hadn't done a full media blitz about how nothing happened. Bettman doesn't like the screws put to him. They will appeal, Bettman will support the descion then it goes to an independant arbitrator. Bettman will drag this out.
Apparently they can't appeal since it was only 5 games. There was speculation that could be why they went with 5 instead of 6+. Did not fact check the claim.

Reactions: Loach

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The timing of the suspension is difficult for the Leafs, because they already have multiple D facing injuries. Hence, Lajoie getting a call-up.

They get a bit of a break with it only being 5 games. They have a Western road trip coming up that has 3 games in 4 days, including a back-to-back. They will only lose Reilly for the first game of that road trip against the Coyotes. A 6 or 7 game suspension would have put them in a very difficult position.

It was a non-hockey play when the game was as close to over as you can get. That's why he got 5 games. The reason it wasn't longer might have been his lack of previous discipline, and the crosscheck not being directly aimed at the head. It rode up from the shoulders to the face. Had it been directly to the head, I'd imagine he might have received a few more games. Ultimately, they don't want players thinking they can go after other players for retribution in non-hockey plays.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Thought 2-3 when it happened, 5 a bit on the high side but it is in line with the league sending a message about head shots. I can't think the Leaf coaches and players saying it was all appropriate helped the cause.

End of the day it is a pretty straight forward incident. Over reaction to hot dog move with a head shot equals 3-5 game suspension. The only thing over reacting more is the Toronto based media.

Reactions: kgnurse and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Got off easy.

Quelle surprise.
What? lol come on. Greig was fine, he's a first time offender and a response was warranted. Think that's alot personally. Hilarious to see all the leafs fans tears though. Boy are they shook.

This could be very costly for Toronto. Their only legitimate top 4 d man gone for 5 games in the middle of a playoff battle with only 30 games to go.

Reactions: JD1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad