Recalled/Assigned: Reid Boucher recalled, Brendan Gaunce sent down

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Gagner and Boucher...pretty clear they have decided to try to out score the defensive issues. While somehow also making the defensive issues worse. He deserves the call with his play but it’s lipstick on a pig at this point.

At some point you give up polishing your turds. Burrows - Malhotra - Hansen could only do so much with Pouliot on the ice.

Maybe I'm not a real fan, but if I had to choose between: a Canucks team that was a 2nd round - contending team that wins 1 cup in 10 years but plays a very fun up-tempo, or a 5+ cups in 10 years playing the trap winning games 1-0 I'd choose the fun team. I would suffer for those years if it was the only way to win a cup, but I watch hockey for entertainment.

Those years 2009-2012 were a hell of a ride and despite not winning, I'm not sure if my overall enjoyment would have been higher with a boring team that won it all. I would have a higher high, and nowhere near as low as low, but the baseline would not have been as good. If we can't win anyway, I'd rather lose 8-5 than 5-2 every game.

If Boucher makes this team more fun by actually scoring and facilitating others, I don't really care if he's an absolute disaster defensively. If Pouliot were a 45 point guy I wouldn't want him on a team that's serious about winning, but I wouldn't hate him as much on a bottom of the barrel team like this one. He's not, but at least Boucher has scored in the NHL before so lets cross our fingers.

It's just that while I understand that Gaunce being the guy being sent down makes a bit of sense because he doesn't have to clear waivers, it's a disgrace he didn't even get games on the 4th line. Even more so when those players who have done literally nothing at all got top line time with Horvat while Gaunce sat, despite actually putting up the same point totals in like 10% of the games those guys did.

Burrows got time with the Sedins and it changed his career forever, I actually think Gaunce has shown some potential to make quality passes and could be a 20+ point guy if the stars aligned. Now would have been the time to tinker with the lineup. Give Schaller top line time like we did, give Gaudette top PP unit time like we did, but Gaunce has done more than either of those players have here, why the hell didn't he get a single opportunity to play with some real hockey players?

Honestly if a team actually picked Schaller off of waivers good riddance, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hey I’m not saying don’t do it. He deserves the call and it’s the right thing to do. But it’s Reid Boucher. He’ll score a couple but ultimately you are just polishing the same turd.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Like that they called up Boucher, but don't know how someone can watch this team and think we have no need for a shutdown option at C in the lineup while continually playing useless players who get nothing done.

Reactions: daddyohsix

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hey I’m not saying don’t do it. He deserves the call and it’s the right thing to do. But it’s Reid Boucher. He’ll score a couple but ultimately you are just polishing the same turd.

Problem is he's just been hurt and hasn't really played that well in his first few games back. Timing is odd.

The best forward in Utica right now is Michael Carcone. And he can actually skate at this level.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Problem is he's just been hurt and hasn't really played that well in his first few games back. Timing is odd.

The best forward in Utica right now is Michael Carcone. And he can actually skate at this level.

Could be right. In the end this and Gagner moves reek of shuffling chairs on the titanic.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

Have to wonder if Green and management are paying any attention to Carcone.

It doesn't seem like they're very interested in him given Bancks and Hamilton outlasted him in training camp.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
How the F did we draft Gaunce in the first round ?!?!

Weak draft year. Forsberg and Galchenyuk.... And that's about it. When you look at his cohorts not a lot of options.

Excited for Reid to get another shot to overcome the "tweener" issues. Hope he can find his legs...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Weak draft year. Forsberg and Galchenyuk.... And that's about it. When you look at his cohorts not a lot of options.

Excited for Reid to get another shot to overcome the "tweener" issues. Hope he can find his legs...
Was just about to post that..Tanner Pearson was a few spots after Gaunce..but after that, there is a big gap of meh...

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Was just about to post that..Tanner Pearson was a few spots after Gaunce..but after that, there is a big gap of meh...

Skjei also close but other than that you have to go to some unlikely mid / late round finds (Gostisbehere, Parayako, Hellebuyck and Slavin) to have someone clearly better. Just a forgetable draft in the grand picture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad