Regular Season Players - Overrated?

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Last night made me think more and more about the little things that players do to change outcomes of games. This Kings team of 3-4 years ago does not have the difference makers that they do now.

Richards sets up that first goal by simply giving Voynov just enough time with the puck. He also does the little things that proves he has a burning desire to win.

We all know that Quick has saved our bacon on more than one occasion is these playoffs.

Brings up a good question to me - how much weight do you put in players for their regular season success? The playoffs will show you who will bleed out for their team and make any and every sacrifice to help you win. Those are the guys i'm interested in. That is the single reason why I like this Kings team so much. They face adversity and they keep at it, knowing that they have the confidence to win games.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
I kinda agree but we need to remember that to get to the playoffs you need regular season success. I've had friends debate who the better tandem to win with is Sedins or Richards/Carter? The Sedins have dominated the regular season scoring last few years but Richards and Carter come up big in playoffs? Luckily LA has a balance of both types of players

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Sometimes it's not about the points that matter. I think people who don't know hockey very well (by that I mean, one who did not play the game) does not understand that sometimes stats are not all that important. If you have paid attention to the small details that Richards/Carter has done on the ice, it is somewhat comparable to the Sedins.

I am in no way trying to justify their skill sets because I think the Sedin's are more skilled, but my point being is that Richards and Carter has done some of the "intangible" things that people tend to overlook. The two has been very physical on the boards. Richards has been extremely vocal ever since he put on a Kings uniform. He's a mental and vocal leader (I knew he was going to be an alternate and possibly a future captain, if there is any movement on Brown's part) but Richards skates his heart out and will never give up on a play. I never really understood why people would even CONSIDERED trading him. He is just too damn valuable to this team's success.

Carter on the other hand has done so much during the off season to get back into shape. He's a lot stronger than he was on the Flyers. He has been skating really well and has a hell of a shot.

Are people really surprised by this? I'm not. I've been a supporter of the two, especially Richards ever since he came to LA. HFboarders get too focused on stats and when they see Richards not scoring or putting up the points they will start the trade rumors. It really pisses me off but sometimes I overlook that because I understand that some fans are just "fans" while a minority of us will support the Kings no matter what the outcome is.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Richards has been extremely vocal ever since he put on a Kings uniform. He's a mental and vocal leader (I knew he was going to be an alternate and possibly a future captain, if there is any movement on Brown's part) but Richards skates his heart out and will never give up on a play.

Bullsh*t. He has his highs and lows just like every other player. Sometimes he just floats around and forgets what are his defensive responsibilites. He plays bigger than his size, but he is in trouble against big centers like Getzlaef, Toews and Thornton. He is a very good second line player, but Richards is not Jesus.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Bullsh*t. He has his highs and lows just like every other player. Sometimes he just floats around and forgets what are his defensive responsibilites. He plays bigger than his size, but he is in trouble against big centers like Getzlaef, Toews and Thornton. He is a very good second line player, but Richards is not Jesus.

Not sure if I agree with you entirely. Sure people have bad games, I'll give you that but he matched up really well against the Thorton line last night. :huh:

I never made him out to be jesus. But he definitely is a difference maker on the ice. I don't even want to question his leadership. He's got intangibles that you can't teach a player. He's by far the most well rounded player on the Kings. In fact our entire team is fairly well balanced, that's the type of player DL likes.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007

I agree Richards does forget his defensive responsibilities. He is just an average defensive forward in his zone at this point of his career. But he does anticipate well in the neutral and offensive zone. He also understands the game so well and makes little plays like the one last night when he holds the stick under his arm of the Sharks player so Voynov could walk in free to take that shot from the circle.

Also to defend him a little most players have problems handling Getzlaf, Toews, and Thornton.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
I think a lot has to do with Richards and Carter being on the 2nd line. For example if they played in Vancouver behind the Sedins that team would likely win a cup too. The thing I admire most about Richards is that in his short time in LA he has on numerous occasions stood up and often fought when he feels his teammates have been hit illegally. Guys like morrow and Doan have had to deal with Richards directly after questionable plays.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Have you guys noticed that the Carter/Richards line has been the most successful thus far in the postseason? Kopitar/Brown/Williams is not yet achieving the success they had last year. We can all be thankful that we have such a great 1-2 line combination.

There are still question marks on defense for me, but Voynov has looked like the best defenseman thus far in the playoffs for the Kings. Scuderi is Scuderi and Doughty is Doughty. No complaints with Regehr. Dude battles.. Muzzin should be gaining valuable experience about the compete level it takes in the playoffs. Martinez has looked solid also.

chesed

Apr 5, 2011
SoCal
There are still question marks on defense for me, but Voynov has looked like the best defenseman thus far in the playoffs for the Kings. Scuderi is Scuderi and Doughty is Doughty. No complaints with Regehr. Dude battles.. Muzzin should be gaining valuable experience about the compete level it takes in the playoffs. Martinez has looked solid also.

I really liked it when Regehr stood up for Kopi (or was it Williams?) in that scrum around Quick's net. That was a clear sign that he's bought into the Kings. Of course, there's no doubt he wants a ring, but this was a great way to show dedication to the team.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I wouldn't say they are overrated. But I think it's quite noticeable that certain guys will save an extra gear for the playoffs. Hockey is a really punishing sport and the schedule was brutal this year. Only way for you to survive when you play a more hard hitting, body punishing style is to back off a little. I feel like the pure goal scorers step up a lot more in the regular season, cause the style isn't as brutal.

No worries about that in the playoffs, it's all or nothing. Guys will sacrifice their bodies for the Cup. Look at how Penner is playing now. He's throwing his weight around more, averaging 2.5 hits per game. He's using his body to get to pucks and keep people away. He just found another gear.

I mean if I had a choice, I'd take the guy who was mediocre in the regular season and spectacular in the playoffs. I've seen a lot of disappearing acts in the playoffs and nothing is more irritating to me then a guy who crumbles under pressure.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Last night made me think more and more about the little things that players do to change outcomes of games. This Kings team of 3-4 years ago does not have the difference makers that they do now.

Richards sets up that first goal by simply giving Voynov just enough time with the puck. He also does the little things that proves he has a burning desire to win.

We all know that Quick has saved our bacon on more than one occasion is these playoffs.

Brings up a good question to me - how much weight do you put in players for their regular season success? The playoffs will show you who will bleed out for their team and make any and every sacrifice to help you win. Those are the guys i'm interested in. That is the single reason why I like this Kings team so much. They face adversity and they keep at it, knowing that they have the confidence to win games.

I value the kind of stuff they don't make stats for as well. I totally see what you saying here and I agree with you. Will power and sheer effort mean everything to me.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
In the playoffs people only care about playoff scoring...in the regular season people only care about regular season scoring. The what have you done for me lately trend can be seen here.

Also might be the first time I've ever seen Toews being called a "big center"...especially in the same vein as Baldy/JT....:laugh:

This just in Lokitonov is now a Power Forward:sarcasm:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
In the playoffs people only care about playoff scoring...in the regular season people only care about regular season scoring. The what have you done for me lately trend can be seen here.

Also might be the first time I've ever seen Toews being called a "big center"...especially in the same vein as Baldy/JT....:laugh:

This just in Lokitonov is now a Power Forward:sarcasm:

Can we get Dupuis on Richards' and Carter's wing? The ultimate playoff performing team. Maybe pick up Briere while we're at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad