Regular season observation.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This is the most in shambles I've seen this team in regular season since just before Therrien was let go.

Does anyone agree and what needs to be done???

Tough to quantify something like that but there were times under Bylsma's regime that looked pretty much just as bad / frustating to me as a fan. What needs to be done is the subject of constant, countless threads on this board from one year to the next.

More winger depth
Better goalie
Better coaching / system
GM who knows how to draft...

...you name it. There are valid and invalid points in all those categories. I have to say I'm still not convinced Mario and Burkle have a great mind (collectively) for building a strong front office. Or maybe, didn't correctly identify what was wrong with the last one. I still think Shero is a better GM than Rutherford and that it will be born out in time, but to me Shero's problems were fixable. Apparently Mario & Co didn't have that conversation, instead just ending the relationship after it was obvious Bylsma's system did not work and the guy could not adapt (the year before).

Is what it is. The saddest part is a better coach could've worked with Shero to build a team with legit depth and a less erratic goalie, getting us another Cup during the last 5 years, but instead we're facing a partial rebuild IMO. Sid and Geno might be lucky to get one more, two more would be gravy. Not saying they're old, but we all know it takes time to even partially rebuild a team into a winner, something on the order of 2-3 seasons, usually, if younger players are involved. Which I think they should be. This org needs to start thinking about how this team will continue winning as Sid and Geno start to slow down in 4 or 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad