Regular season observation.

No Quarter*

This is the most in shambles I've seen this team in regular season since just before Therrien was let go.
Does anyone agree and what needs to be done???

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Lines need to be shuffled, MJ needs to put together 5 man units that work at even strength again (no Scuds/Bortuzzo/4th line if we're trying to score). Hopefully getting healthy takes away some of the rope he's hanging himself with.

We also need to get back to organised breakouts. We suck under forecheck pressure.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
I don't agree, they can play great at times, horrible other times. They need some consistency, that's all.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
This is the most in shambles I've seen this team in regular season since just before Therrien was let go.

I was thinking about this earlier today at the game. Yes, this team does remind me a lot of how the Pens looked before they dumped Therrien.

JR isn't the patient type. I think you'll see something happen with the next 2 weeks if the ship isn't righted. He KNOWS the 3rd and 4th lines are terrible and need improved. He'll probably wait to see how the team responds with Malkin coming back.

If the team continues to falter after Malkin comes back and continues to look this way, I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Sutter/Kunitz are moved. If the team still looks like this going into the playoffs or close to falling out, I wouldn't put it past JR to fire MJ and put Tocchet in charge for the remainder of the season (why they probably gave MJ a 2 year contract anyways).

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Coaching: What we hear from the coaches and what we see from the players do not match up. Not even close. I sound like a broken record so far.

Players: Well if you watch around the league, I see a lot more hustle/effort/passion than I see out of the Pens. When I watch Anaheim, Chicago, Isles, Rangers, and a few others - I see a whole different level, if not two levels, of intensity.

Progression: This is what we've wanted to see from day one. Simple progression. We came out a lot hotter than we expected and went straight down hill over the last 2 months +. I watch the Caps/Preds and see lapses in their games but the idea is there. You can see the change of scheme and idea of what they want to do is there. I cannot tell what the Pens are trying to do.

So... I really don't have a clue what we are going to see. We will need one miracle run where it just randomly clicks. I don't see how we are even close to that. Luckily we built a pretty strong lead to start with. So playoffs are pretty solid lock. But sure... it can't get worse than this... can it? :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If the team continues to falter after Malkin comes back and continues to look this way, I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Sutter/Kunitz are moved. If the team still looks like this going into the playoffs or close to falling out, I wouldn't put it past JR to fire MJ and put Tocchet in charge for the remainder of the season (why they probably gave MJ a 2 year contract anyways).

I'm going to keep saying this with the sincere hope that this team proves me wrong but I don't see them trading Sutter. Not this year... possibly not next. I've watched the guy play godawful hockey in all three zones for 18-20 minutes and the coaching staff will praise his efforts, sometimes without even being prompted by name, after the game is over. They love this slug.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Coaching: What we hear from the coaches and what we see from the players do not match up. Not even close. I sound like a broken record so far.

Players: Well if you watch around the league, I see a lot more hustle/effort/passion than I see out of the Pens. When I watch Anaheim, Chicago, Isles, Rangers, and a few others - I see a whole different level, if not two levels, of intensity.

Progression: This is what we've wanted to see from day one. Simple progression. We came out a lot hotter than we expected and went straight down hill over the last 2 months +. I watch the Caps/Preds and see lapses in their games but the idea is there. You can see the change of scheme and idea of what they want to do is there. I cannot tell what the Pens are trying to do.

So... I really don't have a clue what we are going to see. We will need one miracle run where it just randomly clicks. I don't see how we are even close to that. Luckily we built a pretty strong lead to start with. So playoffs are pretty solid lock. But sure... it can't get worse than this... can it? :laugh:

Amen. Bang on.

Clapping_and_crying.gif

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'm going to keep saying this with the sincere hope that this team proves me wrong but I don't see them trading Sutter. Not this year... possibly not next. I've watched the guy play godawful hockey in all three zones for 18-20 minutes and the coaching staff will praise his efforts, sometimes without even being prompted by name, after the game is over. They love this slug.

I'm hoping they're only saying that so the rest of the league sees the quotes and it helps his trade value.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You know what team looked MISERABLE and then it all hit? LA Kings. Their 1st Cup run started late and turned into gold. But we are in February... so we are going to have to start seeing somewhat of an upward trend soon.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I was thinking about this earlier today at the game. Yes, this team does remind me a lot of how the Pens looked before they dumped Therrien.

JR isn't the patient type. I think you'll see something happen with the next 2 weeks if the ship isn't righted. He KNOWS the 3rd and 4th lines are terrible and need improved. He'll probably wait to see how the team responds with Malkin coming back.

I really have a hard time believing they will fire the coach after 1 year... Things would have to be really that bad for that to happen. If the lockeroom is divided because of the Malkin/Pouliot/Adams incident few weeks ago and like someone else said maybe they lost respect for MJ after that then who knows..right?

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I really have a hard time believing they will fire the coach after 1 year... Things would have to be really that bad for that to happen. If the lockeroom is divided because of the Malkin/Pouliot/Adams incident few weeks ago and like someone else said maybe they lost respect for MJ after that then who knows..right?

When coaches only get signed to 2 year deals, it signifies there isn't confidence in them to make it to the second year IMO. It's putting them on notice.

If we were in a spot for potentially falling out of the playoffs I wouldn't put it past the team to fire MJ. That said, I really don't have confidence in Tocchet right now either. He should be able to light a fire into their ass now as an assistant instead of being the HC if that's what they need.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
When coaches only get signed to 2 year deals, it signifies there isn't confidence in them to make it to the second year IMO. It's putting them on notice.

If we were in a spot for potentially falling out of the playoffs I wouldn't put it past the team to fire MJ. That said, I really don't have confidence in Tocchet right now either. He should be able to light a fire into their ass now as an assistant instead of being the HC if that's what they need.

You would have thought right?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Well considering the Penguins were in 10th place in the Eastern Conference and had a bunch of scrubs for wingers, I'd have to say no. They are in a slump though, and they don't look to be trying anything different to try and get out of the slump.

No Quarter*

Well if I can remember correctly they traded Whitney for Kunitz and Tangradi and they let Therrian go around the same time. Im not saying to fire Johnston but maybe make a couple significant trades like trading Martin and or Kunitzs for some hungry players to shake things up. I don't wanna sound like a Jagr bandwagon jumper but don't you think that guy would be starving to win one more cup knowing his time is running short.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I wouldn't get rid of him this early. I would, however, make a noteworthy trade - that makes sense of course - to get players' attention.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Well if I can remember correctly they traded Whitney for Kunitz and Tangradi and they let Therrian go around the same time. Im not saying to fire Johnston but maybe make a couple significant trades like trading Martin and or Kunitzs for some hungry players to shake things up. I don't wanna sound like a Jagr bandwagon jumper but don't you think that guy would be starving to win one more cup knowing his time is running short.

Would Jagr bring the right attitude though?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Whenever the team is struggling everybody wants to fire the coach or make trades

Pens aren't the Flyers, Paul Holmgren isn't the GM, the answers aren't firing the coaches or making a big trade.

Boston looked terrible at the beginning of the year, they didn't fire anybody or make any big trades, they just kept playing and got healthy and they look like the Bruins again, that's exactly the type of approach the pens need to take.

Whambino

Nov 28, 2014
Just an abstract idea.. I believe they're not playing great hockey and winning as many games because they're choosing not to play at a high compete level. I think that because they started out so well, they are going to coast through the rest of the regular season. With as many injuries as we've had, I believe they do not want to risk more by having everyone go 110% every game. They harder you play, the more likely you are to get injured. You got to think of it this way: as long as you make the playoffs, nothing that happened in the regular season matters (like having most wins, having the Art Ross champion). You want you're team as ready as possible for the playoffs when the time comes. This doesn't only mean being healthy, but also having a well structured team. What if the way MJ is coaching this team right now isn't "let's go out there and fight hard for the 2 points!" but is more along the lines of "let's focus on dump and chase/puck retrieval" or "let's focus on cycling this game"? I personally believe this team is playing much better as a whole unit than in the past and I continue to see improvement even during the slump. The only thing that's missing is the compete level. It would also explain why the 3rd/4th lines are getting as much ice time as the are, even at big moments in the game. Why make Sid go out there and wear himself out by playing tons of minutes every night? Bottom line is the organization and the fan base are sick of watching this team fall apart and fizzle in the playoffs. I'm done caring about what happens in the regular season. I don't care if they go into the playoffs the last ranked team. I don't care if Sid or Geno are nowhere near the league lead in points. If through it all, this team looks better in the playoffs than they have the past 5 years, they've bettered themselves. It's too early to start panicking. Have some faith. There's no reason to worry unless they start to fall out of the playoff picture.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
A lot of roster turnover, a new system and tons of injuries. That's not a recipe for something to go smoothly. It's frustrating to watch right now and I have my doubts about their ability to make much noise in the playoffs but I'm willing to give it time.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Just an abstract idea.. I believe they're not playing great hockey and winning as many games because they're choosing not to play at a high compete level. I think that because they started out so well, they are going to coast through the rest of the regular season. With as many injuries as we've had, I believe they do not want to risk more by having everyone go 110% every game. They harder you play, the more likely you are to get injured. You got to think of it this way: as long as you make the playoffs, nothing that happened in the regular season matters (like having most wins, having the Art Ross champion). You want you're team as ready as possible for the playoffs when the time comes. This doesn't only mean being healthy, but also having a well structured team. What if the way MJ is coaching this team right now isn't "let's go out there and fight hard for the 2 points!" but is more along the lines of "let's focus on dump and chase/puck retrieval" or "let's focus on cycling this game"? I personally believe this team is playing much better as a whole unit than in the past and I continue to see improvement even during the slump. The only thing that's missing is the compete level. It would also explain why the 3rd/4th lines are getting as much ice time as the are, even at big moments in the game. Why make Sid go out there and wear himself out by playing tons of minutes every night? Bottom line is the organization and the fan base are sick of watching this team fall apart and fizzle in the playoffs. I'm done caring about what happens in the regular season. I don't care if they go into the playoffs the last ranked team. I don't care if Sid or Geno are nowhere near the league lead in points. If through it all, this team looks better in the playoffs than they have the past 5 years, they've bettered themselves. It's too early to start panicking. Have some faith. There's no reason to worry unless they start to fall out of the playoff picture.

Coasting in the regular season doesn't mean anything in terms of not getting injured.

Boo Boo Bennett got run over in a freak accident today by Lapierre. Hornqvist was hit pretty hard too. Someone could've taken a Weber slap shot to the knee. You just don't know. **** happens and the other team plays hard.

Malkin got hit in the nuts by someone and he's been out. Freak **** happens whether you play 50% or 110%.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

I don't buy the first part of your post- playing for fear of injury can increases one chances of getting injured especially with how fast the game is. If X player isn't focused on the task at hand then he won't see what's in front of him or coming at him.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Until the injuries everything was great.

We injured again, and again, and again.........

It always comes back to this one aspect.

In the past and now they effect teams chemistry, trades, lineup consistency, and overall moral.

Teams give them no breaks, and I'll say the Pens have to battle 60% to 70% of the time for their wins where teams are not an easy task.

If you don't have the health part the rest doesn't matter. We're not talking a body going down once/twice a month, they're much higher totals.

Whambino

Nov 28, 2014
I don't buy the first part of your post- playing for fear of injury can increases one chances of getting injured especially with how fast the game is. If X player isn't focused on the task at hand then he won't see what's in front of him or coming at him.

I didn't say they're not focused, they're just not playing at a highly competative level. These are two entirely different concepts. Sorry but the harder you play the more likely injury is. Its easier to lose focus on what's going on around you and what it is you're doing when you're killing yourself to try and get the win.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Get everyone back healthy. If we play this way when 100% healthy, then its time to worry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad