Celebrity Death: Regis Philbin (88)

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Oh man, that's a shock. He was really good at everything he did, either the talk show with Kathy Lee or Kelly, or Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He really did set the standard for the TV Game Show host of that caliber. He will be missed.

RIP.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Oh, I’m so sad to hear this. What a truly lovely guy. He made many appearances on David Letterman’s show over the years, and he was always great. Very sad news.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Oh man, that's a shock. He was really good at everything he did, either the talk show with Kathy Lee or Kelly, or Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He really did set the standard for the TV Game Show host of that caliber. He will be missed.

RIP.

Is it really a shock though? The guy was nearly 89 years old...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Everyone has to go at some point, but Regis just seemed like someone who could go on forever. It was always going to shock me whether he passed away at 88 or 110.

RIP.

member 51464

He had a very interesting career. He started as a page on the tonight show in 1955, and he holds the American record for most hours on television. Of course, he did so many things in his career in television.
That is a cool fun fact. Do you know who has the international record? I have no idea.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That is a cool fun fact. Do you know who has the international record? I have no idea.

No clue, I just read that fact online today. I mean, if you think about all his hours on the morning show, millionaire and various talk show appearances, you’d have to think he was on television more than just about anybody.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That really was a fantastic moment & I also remember thinking it was an incredibly easy question for the million dollars. Laugh In was a very popular show & Nixon's appearance was a huge deal. Regis handled it beautifully.

People were watching it religiously to see who would be the first to win and then the guy does it without using life-lines. The show remained popular afterward, but I have to imagine the ratings dropped after that considering no one was ever going to top that run?

I agree as well, Regis handled it exceptionally and with class. All other hosts after he left could never capture the magic he had in that role.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
RIP - who doesn't like Regis...

Was always a fan as a kid in the 80s because he was involved w/wrestling. Instant cred!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad