Rumor: Regional Sports Network

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Crains Detroit has an article that the Illitchs registered possible names for their own Wings and/or Tigers sports broadcasting network. Unfortunately it's behind a paywall so I can't get any details.

Has anybody heard anything on this?

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
What I got out of the article is it isn’t clear if this is a negotiation tactic or if this a serious endeavor.

Illitch Holdings are quoted saying they believe they could launch a network since Tigers + Red Wings offer year round content.

Personally I would prefer anything over the current state of FSD.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I never put FSD on for anything besides Wings and Tigers games. Besides for Pistons games, that I don’t watch, what else does FSD even offer? I’ll watch on whatever service they’re available on

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Sinclair (especially David Smith) isn't popular in many circles. I can see the I family striking out on their own if they aren't blown away.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If they do launch something, I hope they are able to offer multiple streaming options. More people cut the cord from traditional cable every year, and sports are missing out on a good chunk of the market by not embracing streaming services to a greater degree. Many people just aren't willing to pay that bill anymore, myself included.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I hope they do it if it'll make it cheaper. The only things on TV I care to watch are local games and you could have 4-5 premium streaming services for about half the price of cable TV with FSD. It's like I'm paying an extra $35-$40 a month just to watch that one channel, FSD.

If I were to go to the bar and watch the Wings' games instead of having cable, it would cost me about the same per month if you include the price of a beer or two every game. Or I could have a gym membership and watch the games while I exercise, for a little less.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Bring back PASS!
Comment of the day. Hats off to you.

s-l300.jpg

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
As a Cubs fan Marquee is a massive failure.

But, if this network still lets me watch the local broadcast on NHL.tv I'll be fine. Just don't bring light the lamp to the new broadcast.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I hope they do it if it'll make it cheaper. The only things on TV I care to watch are local games and you could have 4-5 premium streaming services for about half the price of cable TV with FSD. It's like I'm paying an extra $35-$40 a month just to watch that one channel, FSD.

If I were to go to the bar and watch the Wings' games instead of having cable, it would cost me about the same per month if you include the price of a beer or two every game. Or I could have a gym membership and watch the games while I exercise, for a little less.

Hockey is literally the only television programming I watch.
And I'm not paying $100 a month to watch this garbage.
I had YoutubeTV, but they added 30 garbage channels for and extra $15 a month, so I canceled that. And then they lost rights anyway.

So until the TV networks and telecoms figure out how to offer me what I want without all the bloat and garbage, I'm fine using the streaming sites.

From the Red Wings perspective - they signed their last TV deal with FSD around 2008.
That was a different era of hockey.
For one, i suspect ratings are about 25 percent of what they were, based on old articles. 25 percent might be high.
For 2, that was signed before the "cut the chord" movement really got serious and streaming became so prevalent.

What I don't understand is why they don't end the NHL.TV blackouts, let the locals broadcast their ads over the network.
Yes, TV ratings will fall. But more people will see the ads they sell, and that will make more money.

I highly doubt the Red Wings want to go into the TV network business and that it's just a threat to get more money out of Sinclair.
Good luck. Sinclair is a greed SOB, as evidenced by the YoutubeTV bullshit.

Last edited:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Hockey is literally the only television programming I watch.
And I'm not paying $100 a month to watch this garbage.
I had YoutubeTV, but they added 30 garbage channels for and extra $15 a month, so I canceled that. And then they lost rights anyway.

So until the TV networks and telecoms figure out how to offer me what I want without all the bloat and garbage, I'm fine using the streaming sites.
They kinda can. If you get on the phone and tell your cable provider you are going to switch because you found it cheaper elsewhere, they will offer things a little cheaper to you.

I actually got them to agree to just give me the the fox sports channels and the local channels, but their price for that was only like $10 a month cheaper than the regular package, so I told them no.

They wanted like $105/month for just the local channels and FSD. I told them I can get the local channels for free with a one-time purchase of a $30 digital antenna. So, it was like they would be charging me $75/month just to watch FSD. It beat all their competitor's prices, but it still wasn't worth it. You could actually attend a game or two a month for that price.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
They kinda can. If you get on the phone and tell your cable provider you are going to switch because you found it cheaper elsewhere, they will offer things a little cheaper to you.

I actually got them to agree to just give me the the fox sports channels and the local channels, but their price for that was only like $10 a month cheaper than the regular package, so I told them no.

They wanted like $105/month for just the local channels and FSD. I told them I can get the local channels for free with a one-time purchase of a $30 digital antenna. So, it was like they would be charging me $75/month just to watch FSD. It beat all their competitor's prices, but it still wasn't worth it.

You could actually attend a game or two a month for that price.

$120 a year for the NHLTV pass. You can get around the blackouts by using a VPN sometimes. AND you get to watch real hockey sometimes to offset the trash we're subjected to by this current team.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
$120 a year for the NHLTV pass. You can get around the blackouts by using a VPN sometimes. AND you get to watch real hockey sometimes to offset the trash we're subjected to by this current team.
I might give that a shot next season. I'd assumed it would be hard to get around the blackouts, but yeah, even if so, you do get to watch some hockey.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
HUH?

WTF are you guys talking about?!? $120 a year for NHL hockey?!? Now you just go to website and it's all there, every game, every day, every team, no blackouts, no finding/losing/dropping streams, etc.. That's all over with . Now it just all works for free, every team, every feed. Why would anyone pay for hockey now when every game is streamed for free. I watch every game I want, on whatever device I want, whether its my phone, tablet, laptop, TV, etc.. now, for free. no VPNS. Why are you guys paying $120 to do this? what am I missing?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
HUH?

WTF are you guys talking about?!? $120 a year for NHL hockey?!? Now you just go to website and it's all there, every game, every day, every team, no blackouts, no finding/losing/dropping streams, etc.. That's all over with . Now it just all works for free, every team, every feed. Why would anyone pay for hockey now when every game is streamed for free. I watch every game I want, on whatever device I want, whether its my phone, tablet, laptop, TV, etc.. now, for free. no VPNS. Why are you guys paying $120 to do this? what am I missing?

Uh...it's not supposed to be free. You might have found some pretty gnarly glitch in the system.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
I'd be curious to find out how many people are watching Red Wing games. I'm a dope so I'll watch but people that I know never talk about them and there is absolutely no hockey talk on the radio from my random times I've listened.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Uh...it's not supposed to be free. You might have found some pretty gnarly glitch in the system.

We're not supposed to talk about the glitches.

I'd be curious to find out how many people are watching Red Wing games. I'm a dope so I'll watch but people that I know never talk about them and there is absolutely no hockey talk on the radio from my random times I've listened.

I'll watch every game, even if it's just on in the background while I'm getting yelled at or whatever. I'm an ex-pat, so FSD is a treat... I just wish they'd still show commercials on the PERFECTLY LEGIT NHL STREAMS I WATCH.

You know, just in case anyone is listening.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
HUH?

People are willing to pay because streaming sites are garbage. Every link someone has sent me here always sucks. Buffering, lags, annoying pop-up ads. Very annoying. Luckily, I have access to Wings games with my parents cable credentials.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad