Reggie Leach's alcoholism ruined his HHOF chances?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
An interesting article in the Toronto Sun today about Reggie Leach. Still to this day he holds the record for most goals in the playoffs (19) back in 1976.

But what he mentions is how alcohol ruined his life. There have been rumours about how he was drunk during the 5th game of a playoff series against Boston back in '76 where he scored 5 goals. He had a big year that yeat scoring 61 goals, 19 in the playoffs and then winning the Conn Smythe and being a lock to represent Canada in the Canada Cup. Right now he's sober and has been for over 20 years.

My question is how far off was Leach from being a Hall of Famer? I mean his career alone wont get him in, but if alcohol wasnt a problem could he have been a lock. He had seasons of inconsistency but still managed a season of 61 and 50 goals followed by 45.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
There have been rumours about how he was drunk during the 5th game of a playoff series against Boston back in '76 where he scored 5 goals.

Leach confirmed that rumour in the Charles Wilkins book Breakaway.

"Some of the guys weren't all that happy about my showing up plastered for a playoff game. But there wasn't much they could say after I went out and scored 5 goals."

Apparently after getting hammered the night before, he was still unconscious about three hours before gametime (it was an afternoon game). The Flyers sent a couple of players to his house where they woke him up, gave him a cold shower and tried to get him to drink as much coffee as possible. When he was finally alert, he decided the only way he would be able to get through the day was to have a couple of beers. When he showed up, Shero declared that he was too drunk to play. But Bobby Clarke got him to change his mind.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
A "healer" or two before a playoff game? And then he scores 5 goals? Sounds a little suspicious, but I believe it in this case.

Reggie Leach was the ONLY player on the Flyers in the 1970's I didn't hate! He was a pure goal scorer from Up North ("Riverton Rifle" was his nickname) in Canada, and was amazing to watch for about 3 seasons. Then he just disappeared. Too bad, he could have had an even better career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad