Regarding the Tim Thomas trade rumors..

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
If Thomas does get traded, bad move for Boston. Why would they trade one of the best goalies they've had in a long time? Tim was the deciding factor of the SCF, why would they trade him?

thomas decided he didn't want to play this year, the final year in his contract. if he decided to come back, it would be in 2013 and he would be a FA.

the idea would be to trade him to a team under the salary floor so they can take the cap hit without paying him anything as he is not reporting to work.

its well documented that tim does not get along with upper management and it would be unlikely he would return to boston as a FA if he had any other suitors.

that is why they would explore a trade for tim thomas. however, not much trade market right now, as there is no such thing as the NHL at this time.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think Thomas will be pretty darned tradable if the lockout ends. Can't imagine he won't want a shot at a Cup in this years playoffs. He got his time off and to a certain extent is smarter/dumber than every other NHLer since they all got time off and only he specifically wanted it.

A team in the west should add him for a low first or second round pick. We might even get a decent player for him particularly if the team that wants him needs to move salary.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I think Thomas will be pretty darned tradable if the lockout ends. Can't imagine he won't want a shot at a Cup in this years playoffs. He got his time off and to a certain extent is smarter/dumber than every other NHLer since they all got time off and only he specifically wanted it.

A team in the west should add him for a low first or second round pick. We might even get a decent player for him particularly if the team that wants him needs to move salary.

Honestly, unless Thomas publicly says he wants to play this year I don't think the Bruins can get as much as a roll of stick tape for him.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
:laugh: Don't mind us, this has just been a major topic for the past few months. Thomas hate has been pretty high here, and I'm pretty sure all of management and all of us fans are ready to see him go before he ruins his legacy even more. The fact of the matter is, he refused to play, leaving us with his huge cap hit anchored for nothing. Also, Chiarelli has made it clear that Tuukka has the reigns now.

Welcome to the board, by the way. :)

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
:laugh: Don't mind us, this has just been a major topic for the past few months. Thomas hate has been pretty high here, and I'm pretty sure all of management and all of us fans are ready to see him go before he ruins his legacy even more. The fact of the matter is, he refused to play, leaving us with his huge cap hit anchored for nothing. Also, Chiarelli has made it clear that Tuukka has the reigns now.

Speak for yourself, please.

member 96824

Yeah...that's not true.

Yeah...that's called retiring.

member 96824

If he had just shut up ... there would be no hard feelings now.

I am sure there are very few things politically that Andrew Ference and I agree on politically...doesn't stop him from being my favorite Bruin.

Just as I know Eddie Vedder and I don't agree on anything...doesn't stop me from loving Pearl Jam.

Entertainers are allowed to have opinions and human thoughts. As long as Thomas stopped pucks(which he did better than any goalie in the history of the regular season and postseason for us) than I dont care what he believes...and neither should you. I dont understand why athletes should have restricted rights?

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

As said before, speak for yourself. This guy could beat baby seals into snow pizza w/ his goalie stick, and put it on youtube. It wont change the fact that Thomas delivered something to this franchise that a myriad of other great players could not. TT is really missing out on hockey right now, that's for sure.

Chiarelli made it pretty clear by giving him a 1 year deal, that Tuukka has plenty left to prove.
Like...
- He can stay healthy through a kick save, and we don't suddenly end up in goalie hell, again.

- He can stop pucks that are elevated in height over the coveted butterfly.

Last edited:

Dojji*

As said before, speak for yourself. This guy could beat baby seals into snow pizza w/ his goalie stick, and put it on youtube. And, it wont change the fact that Thomas delivered something to this franchise that a myriad of other great players could not. TT is really missing out on hockey right now, that's for sure.

Chiarelli made it pretty clear by giving him a 1 year deal that Tuukka has plenty left to prove.
Like...
- He can stay healthy through a kick save, and we don't suddenly end up in goalie hell, again.

- He can stop pucks that are elevated in height over the coveted butterfly.

Yeah, and drafting Malcolm Subban in the first round really screams "we're perfectly comfortable with Rask and Khudobin going forward" too, doesn't it?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Yeah, and drafting Malcolm Subban in the first round really screams "we're perfectly comfortable with Rask and Khudobin going forward" too, doesn't it?

Subban is a kid with a long road ahead of him. You don't pass up on what you believe is an outstanding talent because of players already in the system. Guys get hurt, guys get traded; anything can happen. And five years is a lifetime in hockey.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
If Thomas does get traded, bad move for Boston. Why would they trade one of the best goalies they've had in a long time? Tim was the deciding factor of the SCF, why would they trade him?

Because he told Chiarelli he didn't want to play? Is this a trick question?

MVP36

Dec 2, 2012
Massachusetts

Ok, but I'm pretty sure 18 year old goalies aren't drafted to fix "right now".

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

I agree, Dojji.

*looks up to see if the sky is falling...looks back at screen to double check...checks sky again just to make triple sure*

Well, to an extent. Subban is no guarantee, either. Big risk according to some very tuned in people. Not sure it's some kind of verdict on Rask, either. It certainly shows they appreciate the value of phenomenal clutch goaltending, even if it isn't pretty. Further, know it doesn't just fall into your lap every day. Also, like last year, anything can happen. You know, "Turco Time!!!", and all.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I am sure there are very few things politically that Andrew Ference and I agree on politically...doesn't stop him from being my favorite Bruin.

Just as I know Eddie Vedder and I don't agree on anything...doesn't stop me from loving Pearl Jam.

Entertainers are allowed to have opinions and human thoughts. As long as Thomas stopped pucks(which he did better than any goalie in the history of the regular season and postseason for us) than I dont care what he believes...and neither should you. I dont understand why athletes should have restricted rights?

I don't care about politics, especially in your country, hence I don't care about Thomas' political opinion.

I just hate the fact he had to make himself bigger than the team when he chose not to go to the White House. I mean, this event wasn't about politics at all. It was about the Bruins' Stanley Cup victory, so imo, he just should of swallowed it and shaken Obama's hand since it's nothing personal between those two I guess. Why make such a drama out of it?

But what I hated even more was the fact he chose not to play during the next season so his market value decreases and thus Chia wouldn't be adle to trade him. Imo, if you sign a contract you should fulfill that contract. In North American sports, it's normal if you get traded. He knows that; it's part of the game. The crap he pulled just makes me sick.
He spit right in the face of his team mates and his fans.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
He made a ballsy move, but I think that's amazing. TT showed that he has the biggest balls on the Bruins roster!

There's a lot of people here that may agree w/ you.

But, that rumble you hear is herd of angry unicorns headed straight at you.

*RUNS*

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
TT showed that he has the biggest balls on the Bruins roster!

I'd hereby like to create a bill to pass along to HF legislation that would put a 6-month waiting period on all new memberships before they're allowed to create a thread.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I'd hereby like to create a bill to pass along to HF legislation that would put a 6-month waiting period on all new memberships before they're allowed to create a thread.

Cut him some slack. First the Savard thread, then this - it's obvious he's a time traveler from 2009.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad