Refs/Oilers clown-out another loss.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'm not generally a complain about the officiating type poster but last nights calls were bizarre world.

-puck not seen for 3 secs, refuse to blow whistle, puck rolls out of Talbots equipment into net for a goal. This being one game after a game in which multiple quick whistles occurred that prevented Oiler scoring chances with the puck clearly visible. OK, I got it NHL. Blow whistle when puck is plainly visible. Don't blow whisle when its hidden...:shakehead

-multiple picks by Nashville undetected. Not just picks either. Oiler doesn't have the puck and you want to check them to prevent them from getting the puck? No problem, just lay them out. We'll look the other way all night.

-oiler breakaways/ No problem. Just hook them and slash at them until you can grab onto them with both hands. No problem, "whats a penalty shot for anyway" This compounded by commentators saying such gibberish as "great defensive play and Kassian was tired and couldn't break away...:rant:

Puck drops?! I mean WTF. How many times were Oilers punted from the dot last night? How many fake clutch drops were there last night. I counted one play where they took 4 drops to actually get it right. Hendricks was FURIOUS on one play saying basically the drop was rigged. I think around 10 times an Oiler was thrown out of the dot last night and I can't remember one instance of it happening to the Preds.

In the same game Kassian so furious with an official it looked like he was going to body slam him.

I've rarely seen anything like it. Along with the Oiler players I was angry with what seemed like troll officiating last night.

Totally agreed but nothing I am surprised about the reffing in this league has been disgraceful for about the last 5 years.

The none whistle on the fluke goal was idiotic. The precursor to the ticky tacky penalty on Parkinen was mindboggling. Two or three out right interference plays as we try and break out of our zone. Parkinen gets hooked in the offensive zone , no call parkinen sticks his stick in a guy for one second, call, goal, game over.

The refs are consistent in two ways in this league, they go well out of their way to have even or close penalty calls at the end of the game. They go out of their way to call penalties on lesser known players and totally ignore calls on known vets.

The youtube of Pouliot being grabbed 3 times, hooked and spun at the blue line all the while when the puck was no where to be found was typical.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Welp, I've already put in three times as much effort in this thread as a lot of our players did in that game. I'm outta here.

Just like the Oilers, I couldn't take the effort to watch the third period even. I assume it only got worse.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
That last game before the All-Star break, you'd have thunk that the Oilers would have been crashing and banging and going hard for the win, with no games left till after the break. But wouldnt you know it the exact opposite is true. When will this team get some compete in them?? It was hard to even root for them with zero effort - so just turned it off.

Simply bringing McDavid back is not going to turn that around.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
On the refs talk, to add, they also called 2 offsides on us that clearly didn't come off the line. The officiating is so bad in this league its not even funny. Unfortunately it seems like it's usually us on the receiving end.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That last game before the All-Star break, you'd have thunk that the Oilers would have been crashing and banging and going hard for the win, with no games left till after the break. But wouldnt you know it the exact opposite is true. When will this team get some compete in them?? It was hard to even root for them with zero effort - so just turned it off.

Simply bringing McDavid back is not going to turn that around.
Maybe not, but having him and Klefbom back definitely will. This team looked pretty good for about 8 games when mcdavid started clicking and when drai got called up before he got injured. With a fully healthy lineup this is at least a competitive team

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
That PP goal by Ekholm, was pure ********...The puck landed in Talbot's leg pad after hitting Sekera in the helmet... How did the Ref's manage to see this, when everyone else on the ice including Talbot, had no clue where the puck was..

Just instinctive, to butterfly it, when the location of the puck is unknown..

How the hell is a puck buried, unseen, in a goalies pads ,still in play...

mkr2hGM.gif

Might have to post this on Kerry Fraser's blog.. ..

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Maybe not, but having him and Klefbom back definitely will. This team looked pretty good for about 8 games when mcdavid started clicking and when drai got called up before he got injured. With a fully healthy lineup this is at least a competitive team

True, they were starting to fly then - just worried about the mentality of the group now again. They know the playoffs are pretty much just a dream again unless they can somehow win almost every game. They are only competitive if they have some compete in them.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That PP goal by Ekholm, was pure *********...The puck landed in Talbot's leg pad after hitting Sekera in the helmet... How did the Ref's manage to see this, when everyone else on the ice including Talbot, had no clue where the puck was..

mkr2hGM.gif

Yeah someone should post it. There's absolutely no chance the ref can see this puck. Its caught between the portion of the pad and the thigh above the knee for a good 2-3 seconds before it emerges. Just god awful officiating, but what's new?

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
That PP goal by Ekholm, was pure ********...The puck landed in Talbot's leg pad after hitting Sekera in the helmet... How did the Ref's manage to see this, when everyone else on the ice including Talbot, had no clue where the puck was..

mkr2hGM.gif

Good idea. Something needs to happen with the officiating. There are proponents for even more video review - I've heard this on NHL radio even - to make sure they get everything correct. Well, if they can't be consistent on plays like this and as well on penalties, then what's the point of any video review really. Games are being decided long before the puck crosses the line due to these discrepancies - whether they are on purpose or not.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
In further to that last post regarding compete - every other team in the bottom few of the standings is winning games here and there that they shouldn't on paper - against Dallas, Washington, LA (see Arizona the other night). Oilers go into these games thinking they have no chance and so they play like it - at least that's what it looks like. Absolutely zero effort.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007

mkr2hGM.gif

Don't. Just following this jerk is a disgrace. The 2nd biggest Habs fan to Red ******ing Strorey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad