Post-Game Talk: Refs Decide to Make Canucks feel ok with Preseason (Oil 4 - Nuckleheads 5)

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Holloway was quiet. JP was JP. Didn't take over or anything. Was just "there". Nurse was dogsh**. RNH was dogsh** too.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I can't believe the excuses Reid and Rod are making up. Jesus, Rogers must have placed the word from down on high.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
They have room for Virtanen... if he signs at league minimum.

In fact they NEED a minimum value contract in place of one of Foegele/Ryan/Janmark... so one of Malone/McKegg/Griffith/Benson/Virtanen are a lock for the opening roster unless a trade is made to open up cap.

With Benson injured... and Griffith/McKegg already sent down... that pretty much leaves either Malone or Virtanen on the opening roster.

If I had to guess I'd say the Oilers give Virtanen a contract as they value another right shot player on the roster... not that he's lit it up in preseason but the right side is the weakest and JP/Yamo haven't exactly sparkled over the course of preseason either.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

In fact they NEED a minimum value contract in place of one of Foegele/Ryan/Janmark... so one of Malone/McKegg/Griffith/Benson/Virtanen are a lock for the opening roster unless a trade is made to open up cap.

With benson injured... and Griffith/McKegg already sent down... that pretty much leaves either Malone or Virtanen on the opening roster.

If I had to guess I'd say the Oilers give Virtanen a contract as they value another right shot player on the roster.. nt that he's lit it up in preseason but the right side is the weakest and JP/Yamo haven't exactly sparkled over the course of preseason either.

Unfortunately yes, he's better than McKegg and Malone. Either way it's a short term commitment unless he lights it up.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022

With benson injured... and Griffith/McKegg already sent down... that pretty much leaves either Malone or Virtanen on the opening roster.

If I had to guess I'd say the Oilers give Virtanen a contract as they value another right shot player on the roster.. nt that he's lit it up in preseason but the right side is the weakest and JP/Yamo haven't exactly sparkled over the course of preseason either.
One thing I keep noticing about Virtanen is that when he is going into the corner chasing a guy, he acually pokes the puck loose or manages to pin the guy. No fly bys like some guys do on our team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Niem good Broberg bad... worst D on the ice... Well maybe Nurse, lol.

Sammy so so.

Murray Demers ok

Skinner just ok.

McDavid got his goal.

Hamblin another good showing.

Virt no show.

Pulj no show.

Holloway ok.

Hyman and RNH very good. They have such good chemistry.

The rest meh.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Screenshot_20221005_231804.jpg

Interesting.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
One thing I keep noticing about Virtanen is that when he is going into the corner chasing a guy, he acually pokes the puck loose or manages to pin the guy. No fly bys like some guys do on our team.
He did exactly that tonight. He causes some disruption on the forecheck, it’s not anything spectacular but it’s something.

Reactions: Duke74 and Biltmore

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They can sign him to league minimum and not make a trade.

Roster will run short-handed with or without him.
I think at this point it actually makes a difference if you can run 22 instead of 21, or 21 instead of 20.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Ron and Reid adding nothing. At this point send them to the frontline in Ukraine. They'd at least be useful.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I mean if he was good enough to force management’s hand to make a trade, that would’ve been the best case scenario for him.
He’d have to be good enough to force the Oilers to LOSE a trade if it’s JP who’d be traded. There’s no market for JP remember. That’s asking a lot from him. And I don’t think Holland would put him in a such an unrealistic situation.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Virtanen is better without the puck than people give him credit for. He's not a juggernaut defensive player.... but he's not going to hurt you out there either. His goals against when he's on the ice is reasonably low and that's even apparent here in this preseason where I think he's only been on the ice for 1 goal against at 5 on 5 through 6 games played. Not bad stats for playing with & against such a mix of talent.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He’d have to be good enough to force the Oilers to LOSE a trade if it’s JP who’d be traded. There’s no market for JP remember. That’s asking a lot from him. And I don’t think Holland would put him in a such an unrealistic situation.
Considering how JP has played this preseason, that wouldn’t have been the highest bar to clear. ;)

Reactions: DarksideGhost

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Didn't watch but based on the comments I'm seeing about the broadcast being mad about a Canucks penalty, I assume it was Shannon again? f*** that guy is a bottom 5 broadcaster. I honestly hate him more than Hrudey

Reactions: TB12

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Slop.

Pre-season form for the refs. But the Canuckles asserted themselves early while the Oil backed into this game. Not a lot of help for Skinner who was generally pretty good in this one. PK got beaucoup workout with the penalty discrepancy which tipped this game.

Coming into focus is Niemelainen over Broberg. Can't view a 21 year old defender as failing here. Simply years development behind which requires getting stronger to hold his own in battle areas and tied to that is increasing speed of his decision making (this latter growth we saw Bouchard go through that last year). I don't where Samaroukov lands with waiver eligibility.

Puljujarvi with a pretty nondescript game. Not a lot going on in the o-zone which places a drag on his ability to be more than just a good player. Foegele, when inspired, shows a strong puck hunter game with his skating. Would give the edge to Foegele through camp and he's a player I'm not a big fan of his game when the spirit doesn't move him.

Holloway is on this team at worse as a 3W and possibly a top six with Draisaitl. Hard to get a read on this slop game and tons of penalties but his fast puck hunting game doesn't seem a match with McDavid's instinctual slashing game. Draisaitl's methodical, traditional big centre game seems a better, more natural fit.

Virtanen a decent game showing a bit more speed and some disruption on the forecheck. His skills are off with likely rust from a turbulent two years. His hand eye is off which you see in his shot which has been off target or double clutch. Skating is good but not powerful which is a calling card for the player. Too safe and needs more runway to get his skills up to speed. He'll be cut but I still think a two way contract with time in Bakersfield is worth continuing this potential for end of roster right shooting depth.

Shore is on this team. Think the coach loves his versatility and coachable attitude. Not sure what shakes out between Janmark and Ryan.

Time to get this team locked in and ready to roll for the regular season. Too sloppy tonight with one no counter gain left.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If Benson were healthy (and kept playing well... I'd say he'd have likely beaten out Virtanen) BUT now that Benson is apparently injured (and it's more a week to week thing apparently... not day to day)... I think the momentum has swung back towards signing Virtanen. I mean worst case you sign him... put him on the roster... he sucks... he gets waived and plays the year in the AHL for Bako (maybe even slowly improves and gets the rust out of his game down there and comes back later in the season as a decent callup option).

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They can sign him to league minimum and not make a trade.

Roster will run short-handed with or without him.
There are better players we would have to pass thru waivers to do so. Not worth it.

Virtanen is better without the puck than people give him credit for. He's not a juggernaut defensive player.... but he's not going to hurt you out there either. His goals against when he's on the ice is reasonably low and that's even apparent here in this preseason where I think he's only been on the ice for 1 goal against at 5 on 5 through 6 games played. Not bad stats for playing with & against such a mix of talent.
But is he better than 12-13 of our forwards right now? I’d say no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad