Post-Game Talk: Refs Decide to Make Canucks feel ok with Preseason (Oil 4 - Nuckleheads 5)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In fairness to everyone last night there was no real rhythm 5 on 5 because of the constant penalties.
I have to make sure to preface my comment with he's a great player and I really love him or somebody (not you) will come along and question why I'm throwing shade on Holloway. (I'm not) hehe

The whole team had no buzz or jump last night. It was amazing McD had that one rush in his legs. Looks like he wanted to give the Abbotsford crowd something to cheer for in their one game. The crowd last night would be a more atypical Nucks crowd, more regional, and Abbotsford is a considerable distance from DT Vancouver.

• Haha
Reactions: MessierII

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I have to make sure to preface my comment with he's a great player and I really love him or somebody (not you) will come along and question why I'm throwing shade on Holloway. (I'm not) hehe

The whole team had no buzz or jump last night. It was amazing McD had that one rush in his legs. Looks like he wanted to give the Abbotsford crowd something to cheer for in their one game. The crowd last night would be a more atypical Nucks crowd, more regional, and Abbotsford is a considerable distance from DT Vancouver.
I think I agree with your premise. Holloway looks good rushing the puck and he won’t get that as much with Connor.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
This is sort of what I expect from the league.

Kane and Campbell signed and they rounded out their game and now the league will reach new epic levels of fiddling to tilt the ice against Edmonton.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Here's the REAL reason why the reffing was so atrocious last night. BC boy Michael Buble was in concert at Rogers and wearing our old Halloween jersey. Must've jinxed us something awful... :sarcasm:

Screenshot_20221006-110707_Instagram_1.jpg

(Taken from a friend's Instastory)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Niemelainen has definitely been a better showing throughout camp. Broberg is off, the weight gain may be impacting his reaction and fluidity (is that a word?) and then when that starts sometimes the nerves start to show further compounding. Samo needs more AHL time.

I really like the hardness to Nemos game and I think it’s a facet that adds to the roster in more ways than keeping Broberg and allowing to play through his struggles.

Nemo also had 2 assists last night.

How embarrassing it is that the Oilers not even televise any of their own games but last night didn't even have somebody copy pasting the hilites onto their site. So that I have to go to Vancouver Canucks site just to watch the game hilites. Really ridiculous for a pro franchise not to at least have game hilites available and scoring hilites available. No excuse for it other than they just don't care to do it.

Niem looked very good on the PK as well. His stretch pass to Mcdavid that led to the Hamblin goal... was great.

Niem isnt an incredible puck mover. He isnt in the ultra elite group of skaters. Doesn't have a bomb of a shot and generally cant be counted on to provide much if any offense but...

His play making his underrated, his skating is a huge strength of his and it allows him to hit and be physical while not losing position or get turnstiled, he is good on the PK...

He is pretty much the perfect bottom pairing PK defenseman. Which happens to be what we need.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out but I thought Neim was very good last night against an almost complete NHL roster and has been good throughout preseason. It has to be noted that while looking good he has ONLY played against the best teams we have played in preseason. No soft match-ups. He should be our #6/7 to start the year IMO.

Edit: Just will add is offense against tough competition has been solid in preseason so far even tho it isn't a big part of his game.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
T
Nemo also had 2 assists last night.

How embarrassing it is that the Oilers not even televise any of their own games but last night didn't even have somebody copy pasting the hilites onto their site. So that I have to go to Vancouver Canucks site just to watch the game hilites. Really ridiculous for a pro franchise not to at least have game hilites available and scoring hilites available. No excuse for it other than they just don't care to do it.
Seems that perhaps the department in charge of food service quality and customer experience also runs the media department.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
T

Seems that perhaps the department in charge of food service quality and customer experience also runs the media department.
Don't give a f*** permeates the organization. It has for a longtime. For decades people have been talking about how poorly the Oilers are in providing video of scrimmages, preseason games, allowing access etc. Most teams do more, a lot more. For several seasons now the Oilers don't even telecast and do a broadcast of thier own preseason games. They just piggyback on other clubs doing it. Similarly they have as little to do with organizing prospects tournament as possible, just allowing Nucks to do put it together every year. Its like an org that does the least possible for its fans. But wanted a new arena built just the same.

That said Holland and Woody seem to dig deeper than the rest of the org does. At least they seem on board with doing their jobs.

I stopped believing in spending money on this org decades ago.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Don't give a f*** permeates the organization. It has for a longtime. For decades people have been talking about how poorly the Oilers are in providing video of scrimmages, preseason games, allowing access etc. Most teams do more, a lot more. For several seasons now the Oilers don't even telecast and do a broadcast of thier own preseason games. They just piggyback on other clubs doing it. Similarly they have as little to do with organizing prospects tournament as possible, just allowing Nucks to do put it together every year. Its like an org that does the least possible for its fans. But wanted a new arena built just the same.

That said Holland and Woody seem to dig deeper than the rest of the org does. At least they seem on board with doing their jobs.

I stopped believing in spending money on this org decades ago.
That’s typical of organizations that just need to open the door and hordes will pass through to buy their product.

When your a bit of a monopoly, it just exacerbates the issue even more.
Eventually they stop having to be responsive to consumer desires, and improving the overall product delivery.

The Oilers aren’t a true monopoly in the sphere of hockey, but they are the only pro hockey in northern Alberta and for years they have always fully sold their barn out through seasons or singles (although that has waned a bit of late but is still reasonably strong).

i doubt they improve drastically in any of these areas in the medium term. There is no burning need.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Or he plays better against weaker competition. His two worst games were against largely NHL lineups while his best games were against weaker lineups. Not knocking him, love the kid, but perhaps expectations should be tempered a bit.
I do think he works better with Drai though.
I don’t take much away from the one game against Calgary where Edmonton iced an AHL lineup against the Flames’ A-squad. Can’t really expect him to do much offensively playing with McLeod and Foegele against the likes of Huberdeau and Kadri.

He was okay in this game (not great, not horrible), but I think part of the issue was definitely the 11-7 format and rotating wingers all game. I saw him play with of Puljujarvi, Janmark, Hyman, McDavid, RNH, etc. Some consistency is needed there and he would benefit being the third wheel on a top 6 line.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
+
Virtanen is basically in that category as well... not helped a lot... not hurt a lot... but his big advantage is a cap hit of likely $750,000 if he signs a deal... so they can wedge him onto the lineup more easily than some other options AND at $750,000 he's not expected to put up big numbers... in fact if your 4th line players getting league minimum can basically tread water... that's a big win because that allows your top line players who are making 5/10/15 times as much money... to play their games while not having to play catch-up constantly.
The problem with Jake is he's either in a top six role or nothing. Jake on the 4th line provides absolutely nothing. He's terrible defensively, not physical, he has no traits that are desirable for that role. He would probably score 25 goals on a line with #97 he's one of the few guys that could keep up with him. I'm one of the few that hoped he would find his game with you guys and thought Woody would give him a look with #97 .
I think the Canucks as a team, and a guy like Petersson (or Hughes for that matter) in particular have a certain type of competitiveness that is hard to provide big physical responses to. When you fall and writhe regardless of what happens your teammates don't really know when something actually bad happened. Particularly when you're not exactly filledwith truculence, hard to put yourself on the line when you don't know if it's even real event.

Not sure I'd be lining up to have a guy like Nurse or Nemo beat the piss out of me in the Nucks case either. And if the refs are going to give you the calls...

But even on a team like Calgary that was basically the toughest in the NHL last year, no one wanted to stand up for Tkachuk either.
I mean no disrespect but this is such bullshit. First off both those hits, especially the one on Petey were not only dirty and the one on Petey could have seriously injured him. To say that either of those guys are the type to exaggerate shows how uninformed you are on either of them and guys like OEL and Shenn stuck up for both on multiple occasions last season. You sound like the same people who talk out of their ass about McDavid when they say he's a diver and a whiner ( he isnt) as a nucks fan I found it pathetic that our " captain" responded by doing nothing while a guy like Pearson at least challenged that future AHL lifer.
As a fan of the game in general I find it pathetic that in a nothing pre-season or any game for that matter, those 2 hits on our two best players completely unprovoked, along with Nurse clothes lining Hoglander but let's be real that's typical from that cement head.
Imagine if that had been done to #97, you guys would be creating multiple threads on the mains.

Next week I fully expect some type of response, let's hope it's not your best player going head first into the boards. Cheers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How was Holloway?

I didn’t expect hat trick every game. But he played ok?
Hustled hard but couldn’t seem to find any space out there. Looked crowded out there for him and he found himself on his butt trying to squeeze into spaces that were filled. Had a give and go with McD that looked like it could turn into something though. Overall not a good game but effort was there.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
^ "I mean no disrespect..." *proceeds to immediately disrespect a team and fanbase on that team/fanbase's board*

Make no mistake. The Oilers are going to be fired up for next Wednesday, and rightfully so after the gongshow that was last night.

Reactions: TB12

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
+

The problem with Jake is he's either in a top six role or nothing. Jake on the 4th line provides absolutely nothing. He's terrible defensively, not physical, he has no traits that are desirable for that role. He would probably score 25 goals on a line with #97 he's one of the few guys that could keep up with him. I'm one of the few that hoped he would find his game with you guys and thought Woody would give him a look with #97 .

I mean no disrespect but this is such bullshit. First off both those hits, especially the one on Petey were not only dirty and the one on Petey could have seriously injured him. To say that either of those guys are the type to exaggerate shows how uninformed you are on either of them and guys like OEL and Shenn stuck up for both on multiple occasions last season. You sound like the same people who talk out of their ass about McDavid when they say he's a diver and a whiner ( he isnt) as a nucks fan I found it pathetic that our " captain" responded by doing nothing while a guy like Pearson at least challenged that future AHL lifer.
As a fan of the game in general I find it pathetic that in a nothing pre-season or any game for that matter, those 2 hits on our two best players completely unprovoked, along with Nurse clothes lining Hoglander but let's be real that's typical from that cement head.
Imagine if that had been done to #97, you guys would be creating multiple threads on the mains.

Next week I fully expect some type of response, let's hope it's not your best player going head first into the boards. Cheers.

I think it's kind of a different beast, tbh. McDavid doesn't stay down basically ever. For example, he was hit basically identically to the way Nurse hit Hoglander and he bounced right back up and finished his shift;

And you can't tell me that McDavid doesn't take the same kind of abuse a Pettersson or Hughes does.

Idk, maybe you're right and Pettersson isn't a diver, just compared to even smaller guys like Yamamoto, he's just exceptionally weak with bad balance and low pain tolerance. Hell, Yamamoto hitthe boards with more force and speed i our last preseason game and bounced right back up, however now has a concussion.

I kind of doubt that Pettersson actually falls that easily however... dude literally can ride a unicycle and juggle. So you tell me why he falls so much easier than a guy of similar stature and spends so much more time on the ground.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Sounds like a typical Avalanche game.
You guys act like they weren't penalties, they were all obvious calls, not sure why you guys ate so up in arms. 40 penalties in 6 games, not sure why a team supposedly so skilled feels the need to play that style? Maybe Kane is rubbing off?

I will say Holloway looks like a keeper.
Next week is gonna be fun, hopefully we have our injured guys back, I think if you guys get good goaltending and despite so so defence you guys have the early odds to be pretty damn good. judging by comments you guys don't think we are much of a threat and feel free to mock me if I'm wrong but it's gonna be between us and you guys if both teams stay healthy.

I would much rather you guys win over the flames or Vegas.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
You guys act like they weren't penalties, they were all obvious calls, not sure why you guys ate so up in arms. 40 penalties in 6 games, not sure why a team supposedly so skilled feels the need to play that style? Maybe Kane is rubbing off?

Next week is gonna be fun, hopefully we have our injured guys back, I think if you guys get good goaltending and despite so so defence you guys have the early odds to be pretty damn good. judging by comments you guys don't think we are much of a threat and feel free to mock me if I'm wrong but it's gonna be between us and you guys if both teams stay healthy.

What style? Lol. 7 of the penalties were tricky tacky stick infraction type stuff that never gets called. And to be frank the Nucks were doing the same thing, I can find 5 to 10 examples of Lazar blatantly hooking or holding McDavid that weren't called. For some reason that stuff was called every time on the oilers.

Probably because as I noted, the Canucks have a penchant to just fall a little easily.

Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

you think your team is gonna get 10 PPs in the regular season? :laugh:
no chance

congrats on the first meaningless Canucks win of the pre-season though..took long enough

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
+

Interesting post. I just have a couple of questions. Do you really call him Petey? And is that pronounced with a long or a short ‘e’?

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad