Ref Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Last night there was this guy on the other team that kept diving head first into your skates to make a play. Head first head on, Head first sideways, and from behind. The same guy was wheeling mid ice and leaving the ice for mid ice hits and other cheap stuff that shouldn't be going on in a non-checking league. I understand theres going to be contact but this guy was out of control and the Refs either were not seeing it or not calling it. I fully understand not seeing a cheap hit away from the play, but the whole diving head first into your skates bit I've frankly never seen. Whats the call for this, and any idea why the refs where letting it go?
Am I wrong in thinking this is some kind of penalty?
Thanks Guys we couldn't play with out you. :yo:

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
That dude is crazy if hes diving head first into skates and stick. I hope hes wearing a cage because he going to get hurt. I dont know what the call is for that tho.

BCCHL inactive

I'm assuming this is a case of a player trying to throw a "low-bridge" hit below the knees.

It really depends on what rulebook you play under. Here in Canada, there is no specific penalty for hitting at or below the knees, so the referee needs to work his way around that. He can call Tripping, or even Unsportsmanlike Conduct. That penalty is something a referee can use for virtually anything.

In some rulebooks, the specific rule against these kind of hits is called Clipping.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Keetz said:
Last night there was this guy on the other team that kept diving head first into your skates to make a play. Head first head on, Head first sideways, and from behind. The same guy was wheeling mid ice and leaving the ice for mid ice hits and other cheap stuff that shouldn't be going on in a non-checking league. I understand theres going to be contact but this guy was out of control and the Refs either were not seeing it or not calling it. I fully understand not seeing a cheap hit away from the play, but the whole diving head first into your skates bit I've frankly never seen. Whats the call for this, and any idea why the refs where letting it go?
Am I wrong in thinking this is some kind of penalty?
Thanks Guys we couldn't play with out you. :yo:

Welcome to the club, last night in my no-checking beer league I got clipped and did a half flip before landing head first on the ice, refs didn't do a damn thing about it. There were also numerous open ice hits last night and again, the refs didn't do anything about it despite the fact that this is a no-checking league.

Guys playing in beer leagues are some of the cheapest players out there.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Accord said:
Welcome to the club, last night in my no-checking beer league I got clipped and did a half flip before landing head first on the ice, refs didn't do a damn thing about it. There were also numerous open ice hits last night and again, the refs didn't do anything about it despite the fact that this is a no-checking league.

yeah your prolly right, but I wouldn't clump everyone together,because some teams are pure joy to play against because they play hard and gritty but not cheap and dirty. But to me it seems to go by team. We've always had a problem with this team. A guy on my sunday team quit the team we played last night because he got sick of thier antics and didn't want that kind of association with those hacks. Cancer spreads so to speak.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I don't know what the call is but the arm signal by the referee is a swinging motion with the arm leading with the elbow and landing in his ear. And YOU'RE the ref!!!

BCCHL inactive

Accord said:

Yup, and some of them are also among the most disrespectful ****es on the planet, which is why I am not coming back to ref my local rec league next season. I would rather get paid half the money to scorekeep 7 nights a week than I do to ref 3 nights a week.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
oh c'mon Van...you know you love doing our games!!!!

And I'm one of those cheap little f'ers too! I mean, not as bad as what's been said here, but I'm by no means a saint. Thank god Terry and the rest of the refs generally like me now :D

Did you know Terry gave me a match in summer league 2 years ago! lol Since then, he's been great with me

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
I actually play a team like that.

Oddly enough, a Christian University. Trinity Western University. I swear...they are good guys off the ice, and good guys after the play, but seriously..the stick work, the clutching, the grabbing...they're horrible.

And the thing that pissed me off the most...you'd beat them on a face off, and they'd be all like "good job!" and mean it! *shudder*

BCCHL inactive

Canadian Chris said:
oh c'mon Van...you know you love doing our games!!!!

And I'm one of those cheap little f'ers too! I mean, not as bad as what's been said here, but I'm by no means a saint. Thank god Terry and the rest of the refs generally like me now :D

Did you know Terry gave me a match in summer league 2 years ago! lol Since then, he's been great with me

Terry is a funny guy, but relentless if you get on his bad side. He won't put you on his bad side if you're just a cheap f***. He'll put you on his bad side when you try talking back to him. I'm sure you've seen how Terry reacts to players talking back to him. :D

I would do rec next season if I was guaranteed that every one of my games would involve either UNBC, Esporta, the Wolfpack or CNC. It seems that everybody on these teams just wants to play for fun, while all the other teams have at least a few guys on their own agendas.

(lone)Yashinfan#79

if it is a non-checking league then he should receive 2:00 roughing (or tripping)... i do a lot of reffing, my personal philosophy is to give warnings first (which seems to curtail a lot of the high sticking and roughing b.s. that takes place here).
there is a player who just 'retired' from our league, big sturdy stay at home defenceman; he spent entire games slide-tackling others soccer-style and seemed perplexed each time i whistled him for tripping...
the headfirst diving guy sounds like a dope and he's putting himself at equal risk as the person he is trying to take out...

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
(lone)Yashinfan#79 said:
if it is a non-checking league then he should receive 2:00 roughing (or tripping)... i do a lot of reffing, my personal philosophy is to give warnings first (which seems to curtail a lot of the high sticking and roughing b.s. that takes place here).
there is a player who just 'retired' from our league, big sturdy stay at home defenceman; he spent entire games slide-tackling others soccer-style and seemed perplexed each time i whistled him for tripping...
the headfirst diving guy sounds like a dope and he's putting himself at equal risk as the person he is trying to take out...
your right a warning would have been good. I don't think he thought he was doing anything wrong. he did the soccer tackle thing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad