Reece Scarlett - Swift Current Broncos, WHL

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Had my first chance to watch him last night as the Blades were in Swift Current taking on the Bronco's. Wow, was I blown away by this 2-way defenseman.

Very smooth skater with good vision and amazing poise while standing on the offensive blueline. His stats might not show his offensive abilities, but I guarantee scouts are noticing this kid so far this year.

He is definitely a riser candidate for the draft.

Check out my piece on him:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2010/11/reece-scarlett-my-2011-nhl-draft-riser.html

R S

Sep 18, 2006
No one?

This kid is going to climb the board and be a great pick in the 2nd-3rd round this June.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Good skillset but what is his meal ticket to make the big show? If he's not gonna be a PP guy can he be a PK or shutdown guy? He is lengthy but has a pretty skinny frame it seems, how physical was he?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not overly physical but doesn't back down either. He is definitely more of an offensive defenseman and I don't think would ever be considered a shutdown guy.

He has a good reach though and uses his stick well and relies on positioning and smarts more than physicality in the D-zone.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
For those who haven't seen him, you will get your chance at this event this week.

He won't blow anyone away with any aspect of his game. But he is a very well rounded two way defenseman. Great instincts and a great skater. Very solid defender without being overly physical.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him go late in round 2.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
More proof that mid-range WHL guys don't get enough pub :)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
There, what did I tell you.

One of the top 5 players in the Top Prospects game IMO.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'd like to throw my support out for Reece Scarlett.

Kid looked great, didn't make a mistake all night. Was always on the right side of the puck, had good positioning, and just in general had a good game.

One game doesn't make a player, but if he plays that well consistantly he could get himself fairly high into the second round.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Agreed Renegade. Just supremely solid and a bunch of room for his game to grow from what I saw.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I should become a scout or something. I guess it helps when I watch a hockey game every day. (3 today, lol)

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Thoughts on Reece Scarlett?

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything, so mods, my mistake, if there is one, feel free to delete this thread.

I just wanted to see what are people's opinion on WHL D-man Reece Scarlett.

He's 6'1 and 168 lbs.

Any info on things like:

Hockey IQ
Skating
defensive positioning
boardwork
stickwork
puck moving
physicality
shot

generally any strengths and weaknesses to his game.

and any NHL comparable you guys can give me.

Any lastly, what round should he go?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Good luck getting anyone's opinion on him.

I started a thread on him and it didn't get too many responses. I guess not many people watch the Broncos.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Very underrated. IMO him and Robbie Russo are the most underrated players in this year draft.

His hockey IQ especially in the defensive zone is his strongest point and is (or very close to) NHL level. Don't think he has good offensive talent, but overall I say a smarter, better skater Scott Hannan.

A very solid 2nd rounder.

Last edited:

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Good luck getting anyone's opinion on him.

I started a thread on him and it didn't get too many responses. I guess not many people watch the Broncos.

I was looking for your thread when doing the search but nothing came up.

I was hoping some more people would add their opinions and your thread and mine could compound into something of a solid source of information for Reece.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I was looking for your thread when doing the search but nothing came up.

I was hoping some more people would add their opinions and your thread and mine could compound into something of a solid source of information for Reece.

You can trust me, im smart. ;):sarcasm:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Very underrated. IMO him and Robbie Russo are the most underrated players in this year draft.

His hockey IQ especially in the defensive zone is his strongest point and is (or very close to) NHL level. Don't think he has good offensive talent, but overall I say a smarter, better skater Scott Hannan.

A very solid 2nd rounder.

I dunno man, how many times have you actually seen him, besides the top prospects game?

If you are basing it off that one game, I could see why you picture a defense-first player but he really isn't.

He's a very slick skater, passer and is a good PP QB.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I've seen him play twice, and both times he always seemed to be on the right side of the puck. Either the kid is lucky, or more likely he just has a great hockey sense that could see him develop into a fantastic hockey player.

If he had one or two elite skills he would be a top ten pick easily, in my opinion. He reminds me of Pysyk, just good all over the ice.

That being said, i haven't seen him play that much hockey, so i could be totally wrong... but he is definitely a kid I have been impressed with.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I dunno man, how many times have you actually seen him, besides the top prospects game?

If you are basing it off that one game, I could see why you picture a defense-first player but he really isn't.

He's a very slick skater, passer and is a good PP QB.

I've seen him 3 times including the prospects game and haven't noticed his offensive talent. Maybe he is pretty caution in joining the rush which I think he is. PP is he was pretty good, but I really don't see it translating into the NHL like Myles Bell. I do think though is they will have much great stats than Scott Hannan. Maybe get some PP time on the secondary unit.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Renegade, Have you seen Scarlett play lately? Want to elaborate a little more on his game of late. He obviously has a -32 on a bad team. Was wondering how you'd compare him to a guy like Paul Postma who had similar stats in his draft year and ended up sliding and then exploded when he was 19 and is doing great in the AHL. Both are/were Broncos, any similarities?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Renegade, Have you seen Scarlett play lately? Want to elaborate a little more on his game of late. He obviously has a -32 on a bad team. Was wondering how you'd compare him to a guy like Paul Postma who had similar stats in his draft year and ended up sliding and then exploded when he was 19 and is doing great in the AHL. Both are/were Broncos, any similarities?

Sorry, haven't seen him lately.

But, his team has absolutely gone in the *******. The Broncos have battled injuries all year and frankly they have put too much of their stock into the hands of Scarlett.

The kid, at 17, has been forced to play 30 minutes or more on some nights because their blueline was so young.

I saw them one game this year where they had 5 defenders and 3-4 of them were 17 year olds.

Pretty hard to find success with those kind of odds stacked against you.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Saw him at the Top Prospects Game, played amazing, not flashy, but he made no defensive mistakes. His stat line has a bad +/- rating, but you cant read a player from his stat line, if he plays like he played at the TPG night in a night out, he could be a steal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad